P500 Battery Under Seat?

K

Kennyjo

Nov 25, 2019
Ga
Ownership

1. 700-4
Putting it in a battery box or...?
The cage is made to hold a group 34 optima, wrap with a thermal blanket and I installed a 12x12 sheet of aluminum to act as a shield/heat sync. Just trying to decide to run it dual with an isolator or stand alone. Reading on thread about maybe too much battery for the charging system. Any ideas on that would be great

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
The cage is made to hold a group 34 optima, wrap with a thermal blanket and I installed a 12x12 sheet of aluminum to act as a shield/heat sync. Just trying to decide to run it dual with an isolator or stand alone. Reading on thread about maybe too much battery for the charging system. Any ideas on that would be great

Yeah, that's a big battery and probably could stand alone.

Reactions: crewcabrob
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I’d install a Blue Sea Mini Add a battery kit. Charges battery separately when needed, isolates one battery for starting only. You can choose to isolate batteries, e.g., use large battery winching and auxiliary gear, stock battery for starting only. If need be also install pigtails so you can top up charging on the Group 34 when at home if need be. Engine charge should keep up provided it’s ran enough. System I’ve installed and has been bullet proof for 3-4 years now. I’m using an Odyssey 925s under hood. Hindsight being 20/20 if I did it again would be Optima or Odyssey under seat with Blue Sea Kit. Not that I’d change it now as I’m very pleased with what I have, the 925s is in a steel ammo can with fuse breaker and fuse distribution block under the hood. With it under seat frees up under hood so you can pack more keerap...

Last edited:
The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Got the jack mounted today. Can be accessed from top or bottom.
I'm done now, time to ride.
View attachment 40722 View attachment 40723
How did you mount your mud guard? And how is your mounting bracket holding up? I might steal your idea because I've been trying to come up with a mounting solution but yours is the best I've seen so far. I've got a 35ah Mighty Max battery coming with a U1 box but finding a solid mount is going to be a challenge.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Which mud guard, fender flares or the panel behind the drivers seat? Mounting bracket for the battery and the one for the jack are holding up great, they can't really move until the metal rots out. I searched forever for a tray and couldn't find squat so I just made one. Easy too, no welding needed.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Which mud guard, fender flares or the panel behind the drivers seat? Mounting bracket for the battery and the one for the jack are holding up great, they can't really move until the metal rots out. I searched forever for a tray and couldn't find squat so I just made one. Easy too, no welding needed.

The flap between the battery and the rear tire.

I assume you drilled into the frame? I'm trying to figure out a way to do it without drilling but will do it if I have to. I was looking at it again this evening and might try to find a way to hang it from some of the holes that are already there.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
That's not a flap, it's a piece of aluminum diamond plate Line X'd like the rest of the machine. It's screwed into the rops. As for the battery tray and jack tray, they're drilled and bolted. I used to have reservations about drilling into anything too but as much crap as I wanted to add, that kind of went out the window.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Excellent threat Fellas. So the time has come to replace the stock battery as it’s been 7 years.. heh unbelievable, left outside and basically abused. Really should just replace with a Honda stocker and be done with it right? Mmm nooo the notion is to continue the upgrades, thanks to Trigger and others thinkin I’ll put a new larger capacity under the seat and eliminate the stock one all together. As I already have an auxiliary Odessey 925c under the hood. So thinking of an AGM under the seat and keep it simple no drawers, just accessed from under the seat.

Thanks for the inspiration Trigger et al!
Let you know how I make out

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!