P500 Be Honest....Would you rather have a 700 or 500?

Slayer

Slayer

Jul 3, 2019
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
I am trying to decide which pioneer to buy, and I keep going back and forth between a 700-4 deluxe and the p500. They each have their benefits, but I keep coming back to the 500. I primarily use atv's for hunting and work around the house. I live around alot of national forest so the 50 inch width is a benefit. Not going to build a mud riding machine, just a good all around bike that the wife and I could trail ride with if we wanted. If I went up to the 700 I would want the power steering and 4 seats thus the 700-4. ....so if you had to do it over again, would you still go with the 500?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I had to edit the title.
For a second there. I thought @DG Rider was preferring the 700 over his 500. Was about to call 911 to go check on him. Hahaha.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I was, so I edited mine. LOL...

Reactions: Slayer
nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
I have never questioned my decision to buy the 500.I knew what it is,and it does it's thing just great.700 ride quality would be nice,but it's no biggie.

Reactions: 500oneer and Slayer
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I might consider a 700 over a 500 just for the space and the higher E brake, among other things but I do like my 500 Goat.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
You're going to make sacrifices either way you go. The 700 is more machine, comfort, power, ride...but won't go where the 500 can. To fully dress a P5 will require a lot of time and money too. Best bang for your buck would be the 700. If you're willing to spend the time and money, like to turn wrenches and modify, there's nothing out there that can touch a P5 for its size and capability in a sxs.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Have 50 inch restricted trails, so the P500, and power steering addition was worth it for ease of riding. Use it daily on acreage for towing and chores. Honestly, it is bumpy on trails due to size.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
What.. 911 is on their way. Haha

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I've said that since I got the 500. Even with it's...um, limitations, the 700 is just more useful as a SxS.
The real question is why buy a 700 over a 1k? I can think of a few thousand reasons, but its probably worth it.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
If I had it to do over, I would stay with the P5, when I got mine I knew what I wanted to do with it,knew the limitations of the P5 nd for my needs it was almost perfect. It does ride rough but you get used to it and going through 50" trails you cannot go fast anyway so crawling speed you don't notice the rough ride as much. (P5 owners also have bigger dicks.)

Slayer

Slayer

Jul 3, 2019
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
I've said that since I got the 500. Even with it's...um, limitations, the 700 is just more useful as a SxS.
The real question is why buy a 700 over a 1k? I can think of a few thousand reasons, but its probably worth it.
Its all a progression, and each one comes at a cost. Go to the 700 because it has a dump bed, then get deluxe for power steering, then upgrade to 4 seater. then why not get the 1000.......like you said, there are thousands of reasons, all have a dollar sign in front of them. In addition to that though, I dont want to have to hook up to a big trailer and a heavy bike every time I drive an hour to my deer lease.

Slayer

Slayer

Jul 3, 2019
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
Is the ride of the 500 rougher than a regular 4 wheeler? Figured the independent suspension would be at least a little better than a regular bike.

Reactions: NewHere2
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is the ride of the 500 rougher than a regular 4 wheeler? Figured the independent suspension would be at least a little better than a regular bike.
On a quad you stand up in the rough stuff and your knees are part of the suspension package at that point. In the P500 your spine doesn't get that extra cushion. Riding versus driving....imho. Now if your butt never leaves the seat of an ATV then I'd guess it is probably similar. You're talking about 1k+pound machine versus a 500-ish pound machine as well so while travel numbers in the suspension might be similar the extra weight has to be sprung stiffer to prevent it from reaching the bottom of the shock travel all other things being equal.

To more directly answer your question though...I find the variety of ATV's I've ridden to be a less jarring ride than the P500. Stock versus stock performance at least.

Slayer

Slayer

Jul 3, 2019
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
On a quad you stand up in the rough stuff and your knees are part of the suspension package at that point. In the P500 your spine doesn't get that extra cushion. Riding versus driving....imho. Now if your butt never leaves the seat of an ATV then I'd guess it is probably similar. You're talking about 1k+pound machine versus a 500-ish pound machine as well so while travel numbers in the suspension might be similar the extra weight has to be sprung stiffer to prevent it from reaching the bottom of the shock travel all other things being equal.

To more directly answer your question though...I find the variety of ATV's I've ridden to be a less jarring ride than the P500. Stock versus stock performance at least.
That makes sense......disappointing....but makes sense.

Reactions: Farmer
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
The ride on my P5 is rougher than the ATV's I have had in the past. Some members here take off their sway bars which help the ride somewhat but keep in mind that sway bar removal can be subject to terrain you ride.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!