P1000m5 Bed Extender vs Cargo Rack

B

Bobbyh83

Nov 17, 2018
Magnolia
I can’t decide what I want to go with for extra capacity when the seats are up. Leaning toward cargo rack so it’s removable and keeps a mess out of the bed for firewood, hunting etc. thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Plumber32
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can’t decide what I want to go with for extra capacity when the seats are up. Leaning toward cargo rack so it’s removable and keeps a mess out of the bed for firewood, hunting etc. thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the bed extender, doing it over id use the cargo rack. Only issue is they appear to block the taillights.

Reactions: JenElio
mj1angier

mj1angier

Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2020
NC
Any links to the cargo rack that you favor? I want to see how they are mounted and how much they carry. I am a bit worried about putting much weiht on the tailgate with an extender

JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I cant say enough good things about my Seizmik bed extender.
very convenient and well built, gets out of the way when you dont need it and easy to extend when you do

B

Bobbyh83

Nov 17, 2018
Magnolia

The lead idea for cheap and easy. I'll fab up some sort of support bars to the cage to take pressure off of the hitch. Beyond that, I like the idea of adding a hitch under the bed and using a more standard cargo carrier. Same deal though, I'll fab up supports to the cage but I overthink/overbuild everything.

Reactions: Isaiah
JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any links to the cargo rack that you favor? I want to see how they are mounted and how much they carry. I am a bit worried about putting much weiht on the tailgate with an extender
the seizmik takes all the weight off the tailgate cables and tailgate itself. its braced to the pins that the tailgate mounts to and the cable mounts at the top.
i can stand on the back rail of it and it doesnt put weight on the tailgate

mj1angier

mj1angier

Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2020
NC
the seizmik takes all the weight off the tailgate cables and tailgate itself. its braced to the pins that the tailgate mounts to and the cable mounts at the top.
i can stand on the back rail of it and it doesnt put weight on the tailgate

Dang, I do like the way that works. And company is about 8 miles from my house! I wonder if they have a scratch and dent sale...

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One design that I really liked is from Dirt Road Fabrication LLC I wanted the ability to seat my kids in the back with the rear curtain closed to limit dust and have the ability to haul a cooler and snack box. I spoke to Jared and he was willing to make whatever you needed. When the pandemic hit, I was like a lot of people and needed a couple of projects to keep busy. I ended up making my own but I would definitely give him a look. I was a little worried about the extra weight in the back but it works really well. @Dirt-roadfab

Reactions: TripleB and Isaiah
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've had zero issues with weight on tailgate its held up great. The one I see the most for cargo rack is built by @Moses theres a lot of them out there. But his is pretty solid. My buddy did break a weld and fixed it. @Remington .
This is what I have by jei.
20190924 175728

B

Bobbyh83

Nov 17, 2018
Magnolia
I ordered the utv cargo carrier from harbor freight. I'll do a dedicated post when it comes in. Plan is to fab up some supports to make it stronger. Time and money made the choice. This thing is already trying to $500 me into the poor house and I don't have time to build something myself until after deer season.

C

Cooliodaggett

Jun 8, 2020
Upper Peninsula
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another vote for the seizmik. I like that it's always with me but I can fold it up and close the tailgate and it takes up little space. I could see it being a problem if you were planning on using the dump bed often, but it does flop down out of the way if need be.

H

hibbert

Nov 9, 2020
CR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I haven't install it yet, but as others have recommended...

What more could you want!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!