P1000 Bed extender

Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I dont think you can fold it up with the seats up…
From the faq it says they are still usable but it doesn’t specify folded or not

FEATURES​

• Heavy Duty Metal Construction.
  • Black Powder Coated – Durable, Scratch Resistant, UV Resistant.
  • Extends bed length from 36” to 59”.
  • Capacity increase: 8.44 Cubic Ft. to 11.95 Cubic Ft. – 41.6%
  • Easy fold-out deployment extends bed length in seconds.
  • Foldability allows the extender to lay flat on the tailgate.
  • Folded flat height 2”.
  • Extends tailgate 9”.
  • Rear seats on 1000-5 are still usable with extender installed.
  • Easy install.
  • Haul extra gear with plenty of room for 75lb. cooler!

Bandman

Bandman

Jul 17, 2021
Hayden Lake, ID
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i was wrong; it was the Kemimoto version that doesn’t allow you to put the seats up when collapsed. If you can close the gate and put the seats up with extender installed I’ll buy one!

Last edited:
JLR

JLR

Apr 26, 2019
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am interested in the same. I've been looking at the Seizmik X10D however the Rough Country appears to be a good alternative and might contain things a little better. Hopefully someone has first hand experience!

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am interested in one of they make a 2020 version.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just watched the video. It will fit 16-22. That thing is sweet

Reactions: Smitty335
JMynes

JMynes

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2021
Augusta, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Watching the video, it appears to fold up against the tailgate small enough to use the back seats.

I like the design of this, and the Seizmik, but I use my machine to haul firewood from the woodpile to the house. A folded up bed extender contraption would get in the way and cause much profanity.

Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got a sale email the other day and was ready to pull the trigger on this but the sale didn't include the bed extender. I did pick up a rubber bed mat for $50. Trying to hold for a holiday sale... but I am not a patient man.

JLR

JLR

Apr 26, 2019
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Watching the video, it appears to fold up against the tailgate small enough to use the back seats.

I like the design of this, and the Seizmik, but I use my machine to haul firewood from the woodpile to the house. A folded up bed extender contraption would get in the way and cause much profanity.
That is a good point regarding firewood as I use mine for the same. It does look like you can set it up with just the 'tailgate extension' portion in place and the remainder folded together hanging straight down. Seizmik actually shows a picture of this configuration with a ladder and lumber in the back. Rough Country does not show this but looking closely at the photos I don't see a reason why you could not do the same however the aft most edge might be at a slightly higher elevation than the extension. That said, if you have to travel very far with firewood you probably not want that hanging down, swinging back and forth.

I would like to know if the Rough Country is strong enough to sit on when laying flat, or say drag a deer across while trying to get it into the bed.

Anyone know where Rough Country products are made?

Seadonist

Seadonist

Feb 8, 2021
New Orleans
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I currently have the Honda brand bed extender and I hate it. I’ve been wanting to replace it but I don’t like the price that Seizmik charges for theirs and I haven’t seen a different design that I like until I started reading this thread about the RC brand. I must have gone back to their website and watched that video 10 times yesterday, trying to get a better idea of the whole thing. My thought pattern was on figuring a way to reinforce the tailgate with the extender in place but in my experience, the cables that support the gate are the weakest link so I’m not so concerned about the tailgate being able to handle a load.
Anyway, I decided to roll the dice and make the purchase. Once I get it installed I’ll come back to this thread with pics, maybe a video for you guys and try and answer any questions you guys might have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seadonist

Seadonist

Feb 8, 2021
New Orleans
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First off, sorry for the quality of the pics. By the time I finished the install it was really dark so I tried to shine some light down into the bed. Not the best but I think you will get the jist of it. Install was kind of a PIA but I expected it on something like this. Everything fit together well and I was surprised at how much the extender added extra support to the tailgate. There are a total of five support points after the install, as opposed to two from the factory. It’s much beefier than I expected. Unlike the kimimoto brand, you can utilize the rear passenger seats with the RC extender. There’s not much room but it’s not like there was much room there when the seats were up in the pioneer stock condition. The biggest knock I have on it so far is that I can tell it’s going to rattle around a lot and I HATE rattles, squeaks and random noises so I’ve already started thinking of ways to quiet it down. All in all, it’s a huge upgrade from the Honda brand that I took off of the machine.
11ff5e2c183a2931fd3b28145bfd4d9d
C9a8cc04ff44e1a52ebbb12d11801df1

Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sweet, thanks for the update. Can it dangle down to allow longer items or does it have to lay flat?

Seadonist

Seadonist

Feb 8, 2021
New Orleans
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sweet, thanks for the update. Can it dangle down to allow longer items or does it have to lay flat?

The only way that you get any additional drop would be by drilling mounting holes closer to the hinge point of the tailgate itself, effectively dropping the tailgate past horizontal. If you remove the side panels you might be able to get some additional drop but not sure without taking another look at it. I’ll check it out tomorrow and respond with pics and a description of what I observe

Bandman

Bandman

Jul 17, 2021
Hayden Lake, ID
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The only way that you get any additional drop would be by drilling mounting holes closer to the hinge point of the tailgate itself, effectively dropping the tailgate past horizontal. If you remove the side panels you might be able to get some additional drop but not sure without taking another look at it. I’ll check it out tomorrow and respond with pics and a description of what I observe

Thank you for all your information and pics of the extender. I look forward to the additional pics!

Seadonist

Seadonist

Feb 8, 2021
New Orleans
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you for all your information and pics of the extender. I look forward to the additional pics!

Couldn’t get pics today. Was trying to finish installing my portals before the “arctic blast” arrived. I was able to take another look at it though, and will post pics of the description I’m about to write. So the gate folds onto itself twice when being stored. The first fold is the back “wall” of the gate (sits perpendicular to the ground when in use)and the second fold is the actual tailgate extension, which sits horizontal to the ground when in use and this part cannot hang any further than parallel or in-line with the tailgate when in use. The back wall can hang freely but it just hangs. It cannot be set past horizontal in any way. It either has to be in its intended vertical position or hang freely.

Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I couldn’t wait any longer, broke down and ordered one today. Hoping I can reduce and rattles when folded with some bungee cord.

Seadonist

Seadonist

Feb 8, 2021
New Orleans
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I couldn’t wait any longer, broke down and ordered one today. Hoping I can reduce and rattles when folded with some bungee cord.

Lol, sorry bud, just getting home from a hectic day. You’ll see what I was referring to in my description when you get it installed

Reactions: Jankyeye

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!