BOX1

Talon Best GPS for off Road?

DaveM47

DaveM47

Feb 26, 2019
Helena MT
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Im not sure if i already asked this, its an age thing. Does anyone have a recomendation for a good GPS unit. I have hundreds of miles of roads and trails here in Montana and I easily get lost, hmmm that could be another age thing lol.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Im not sure if i already asked this, its an age thing. Does anyone have a recomendation for a good GPS unit. I have hundreds of miles of roads and trails here in Montana and I easily get lost, hmmm that could be another age thing lol.

ORUX for Android you can get a Galaxy Tab for $150 a case and mount for another $100

K9Paco

K9Paco

Lifetime Member
Apr 22, 2018
Lake Charles, La
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
8e23708ab3421e456b6bad8814a6a558

32 gig Galaxy Tab A in a Otterbox Defender with all the extra holes hotglued shut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Last edited:
Talonpalooza

Talonpalooza

Feb 25, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have spent months of research on this. There are many options. For me, I found the Garmin Montana to suit all my needs. Long battery life, loads of aftermarket accessories (holders, direct power, etc). Trail map upgradable with the format I use for trails. Durable, waterproof and made for outdoors. All that said, there are others that have better screen resolution and some other nice features. Many of the people I ride use the Montana as well, 610, 610t, 680, 680t. The "t" has topographic maps. The only other difference between the 610 and 680 is the 680 has a camera if you like to Geo Cache with photos.

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Magellan Off-Road Navigation | Off-Road GPS Navigation Devices & Accessories | Magellan GPS
Magellan tr7. Not cheap but it’s good.
Fully waterproof even the dock for charging, easy release, 3D mapping, easy to load newly made trails, pre loaded with a ton of actual trails. It’s the only one that’s already had most of Idaho trails. Saved our ass big time in a 15yo overgrown trail we were on.

I have the Magellan TRX and it’s really neat because it is built specially for off road and on every update you get more and more off road trails added to its library

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the Magellan TRX and it’s really neat because it is built specially for off road and on every update you get more and more off road trails added to its library

Does it have annual cost

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I have spent months of research on this. There are many options. For me, I found the Garmin Montana to suit all my needs. Long battery life, loads of aftermarket accessories (holders, direct power, etc). Trail map upgradable with the format I use for trails. Durable, waterproof and made for outdoors. All that said, there are others that have better screen resolution and some other nice features. Many of the people I ride use the Montana as well, 610, 610t, 680, 680t. The "t" has topographic maps. The only other difference between the 610 and 680 is the 680 has a camera if you like to Geo Cache with photos.

I have a Montana 610 in camo for sale. Loaded with VV Mapping, powered lockable cradle. Screen is too small for my old ass anymore. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Gator and Plumber32
Talonpalooza

Talonpalooza

Feb 25, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have a Montana 610 in camo for sale. Loaded with VV Mapping, powered lockable cradle. Screen is too small for my old ass anymore. :rolleyes:
That's my exact setup and really like it. And yes, the screen is the biggest drawback. However, I don't need some big screen taking up windshield or cab space. I have it high near roof and ROPS crossbar and you don't have your sight line obstructed. I need VVmapping and the Montana was one of the brands and models that was compatible. I find the Garmin Montana to have pretty reliable satellite service. Not perfect, but pretty good even in dense areas. Unfortunately, the VVmapping format is not compatible with Megellan which seems to have some nice models and bigger screens. In short, the Montana, bang for buck is good option and if someone is in market, reach out to this poster.

R

red124

Sep 7, 2018
MN
I picked up a refurbished 8" Galaxy tab e wifi only and just put the free polaris ride command app on it. Just download the maps for offline use for the area you will be riding in and should be good to go. Just make sure your location is turned on and you can also use the google maps that comes factory with it. No need for anything fancy the tablets are cheap especially a refurbished one so not a big loss of it get damaged. They make plenty of cases and mounts if you are having trouble seeing the screen in the sun try a mat finish screen protector.

Reactions: TimG and Remington
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
That's my exact setup and really like it. And yes, the screen is the biggest drawback. However, I don't need some big screen taking up windshield or cab space. I have it high near roof and ROPS crossbar and you don't have your sight line obstructed. I need VVmapping and the Montana was one of the brands and models that was compatible. I find the Garmin Montana to have pretty reliable satellite service. Not perfect, but pretty good even in dense areas. Unfortunately, the VVmapping format is not compatible with Megellan which seems to have some nice models and bigger screens. In short, the Montana, bang for buck is good option and if someone is in market, reach out to this poster.

VV Mapping works with Lowrance.

Reactions: TimG and Remington
Talonpalooza

Talonpalooza

Feb 25, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X
VV Mapping works with Lowrance.
Yes they can be used on about 4 models of Lowrance. I didn't like options for mounting to UTV with Lowrance. Also, like being able to use gloves with the Garmin touchscreen. I really like Lowrance's screen and resolution.

Reactions: TimG
RideRed85

RideRed85

Jan 23, 2019
WV
Ownership

1. Talon X
I used a Garmin Montana for years and recently upgraded to a Samsung Active Tab and Lifetime Trailmaps. I should have upgraded sooner - Lifetime Trailmaps is a nice setup.

Talonpalooza

Talonpalooza

Feb 25, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X
I used a Garmin Montana for years and recently upgraded to a Samsung Active Tab and Lifetime Trailmaps. I should have upgraded sooner - Lifetime Trailmaps is a nice setup.
How do you navigate without a cell signal?

Reactions: TimG
Talonpalooza

Talonpalooza

Feb 25, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X
It's not needed - neither the Garmin nor the Samsung Active use cell phone signal. I thought the Garmin was nice, but the bigger screen on the Tab is a lot nicer.
So you can get a satellite gps signal? Unfortunately the mapping service I use for off-road is not compatible with android or windows platforms or I would consider a change.

RideRed85

RideRed85

Jan 23, 2019
WV
Ownership

1. Talon X
So you can get a satellite gps signal?

Yes. I don't how the technology works, I just know it works very well here in WV and other riding places in the East. Lifetime Trailmaps has great customer support, so check out their website or send them an email if you would like to know more about it. Here is a picture of my setup in my RZR before I sold it.
IMG 8256

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!