Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Many people are in search of a good high quality, very detailed maps of the HatField McCoy area. For both the official trails and the Local trails commonly refereed to as the "Wagon Wheel trails" or "the Outlaw Trails". The locals would like for you to call the "local trails" as many business owners are trying to kill the outlaw name in support for the Hatfield trails.

Anyways enough of all that talk. We all know you can ride all day in any direction and not hit a marked trail.... Its best to have a map printable and a GPS. To help you our friends over at VVmapping.com have supplied us with trail maps of the area for years. They offer the printed versions of the Hatfield trails for free and a GPS version for $40. The maps also include many of the local trails for your enjoyment.

Our trips always lead off the beaten trail as we want to explore. There are days when our goal is to actually "get lost". We will ride and ride and ride until we are so turn around we have no clue how to get back.... It starts looking like the movie "Wrong Turn" witch was actually filmed in WV.
With our GPS, which has been on and tracking our path, we can easily find a trail and plan a route home...

So, if you are planing to head to WV, we can not stress enough how important it is to have a GPS and a detailed map from VVmapping.com

B

Bugnbrian

Lifetime Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hondasxs, thanks for the advice, links, and info. You never cease to amaze me at coming up with great topics and the members here have the smartest answers, well researched responses, and honest thorough personal reviews. My first atv trip to WV I intended to ride local trails. Long story (embarrassing), but the first morning proved disasterous so I bought permits and have been Hatfield McCoy riding ever since. I really do want to give those coal roads and local trails another chance though. Anyway, since I drowned my GPS on my last attempt, before I try again I need a new one. What GPS do you and the members recommend? Remember, I am not real tech savvy, I like to ride lots of different machines so it won't just be in my Pioneer, the more I spend on GPS the less I can spend on Pioneer bling. Thanks in advance for any insights.

Reactions: Meier
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
WV Trail Maps 2015 Update free at: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/500/

I have used these maps extensively riding HM and the other trails, this update has 02 updated trails with the POIS of restaurants & gas stations etc. you can ride right up to. More info Below from the web page. These work great in any Garmin GPS and looks like they have other formats for Andriod Apps.

******* Version 2015 Released Dec 29, 2014 *********

Added many trails near War, WV. These will eventually be the new Hatfield McCoy Warrior Trail System.
Added some Outlaw Trails west of Gilbert.
Changed difficulty/color coding of a few trails due to rutting from weather.
Improved accuracy of many trails. The vast majority of trial are accurate to 15 feet.
Fixed a trail numbering error on the HM Pocahontas Trail system.
Now has 802 tracks and 416 waypoints.
The original tracks are included so you can view them on your PC on top of a basemap.
The link below will take you to the files and instructions to use this map on Android App "OruxMaps"

http://www.mediafire.com/download/gl3xhsm9kaqms96/OruxMap_ATV_Trails_and_Instructions.zip

This link will take you to the files and instructions to use these tracks on Android App "BackCountry Navigator"

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ddlukdqi0ackcqo/BCN_Files_and_Instructions_2015=All_Maps.zip

******* Version 2014 Released June 21, 2014 *********
Previous version was very accurate, this version is extremely accurate.
Hatfield McCoy Trails updated to latest maps.
Some more Outlaw Trails were added.

******* Version 2013 Released Sept 7, 2013 *********
Original GPS Tracks incuded on 9/10/2013

Major Changes to WV ATV Trails 2013
BobT, Sept 7, 2013

When installing please read color coding scheme

Now includes 356 waypoints including 35 Lodging waypoints, 23 eating establishments, 32 gas stations, and 83 directional sign post.
  • Consist of 715 individual tracks and over 2,000 miles of trails
  • Tracks and intersection accuracy was improved for all trails using various satellite imagery and Google Earth.
  • Added East Lynn Trails, color coded and named. Color coding is my opinion.
  • Added Bergoo Trails, color coding is subjective since these trails I did not track.
  • Added Hatfield McCoy Ivy Branch Trails, numbered and color coded.
  • Updated/tweaked all Hatfield McCoy Trail Systems.
  • Changed background color to pure white for better printing using Basecamp and plotters.
Outlaw Trails

• Several trails added East of Herndon.
  • Several small tweaks made to various trails.
  • Added special color coded trail “HMIR-27 to Stair Steps”.
  • Added special color coding for “9-mile Creek By-Pass” going to Welch.
  • Includes 7 special color coded trails between popular destinations.
Hatfield McCoy

• Most trails were ridden in Spring and Summer of 2013 and updated to current status.
  • HMPO – added alternated Trail Entrance from Bramwell. (much easier)
  • HMIB – ridden and tracked in March and August with several GPSr’s.
  • HMIR - updated trail 19, connector to Stair Steps has special color coding.
  • HMPC - Trail 22 added.
  • HMBW - new Logan connector added, left recently removed trail 10 on map.
  • HMLCR - updated to latest map added back trails 57, 64, 65, 14.
Burning Rock – A very nice trail system, takes 2 days to ride. Highly recommend.

• Ridden in June and July, under new management and trails are being added/deleted/changed constantly. Several changes between June and July.
  • Added trails 99, 30, 59, 48.
  • New configuration of trail 2 to trail head from other side of Hwy-16.
  • Reflects new trail 67 configuration.
East Lynn – ridden and tracked in spring and summer of 2013. Some trails are blocked due to tornado damage. Shows parking areas and two gas stations. Color coding is fairly accurate.

Bergoo – this is one system that I have not ridden. Got tracks from someone else so color coding is very subjective.

Download
Download Windows Version [2MB] (13768 Downloads)
Download Mac Version [449kB] (2650 Downloads)

R

Rrsturgeon

May 11, 2017
Beaverdam
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hello!
We ride the HMT every year. We have always just used the paper maps. This year however, we bought a tablet and a mounting station for our side by side. I have been trying to get the trails loaded onto my Orux Maps app, but have had no luck. Can any one give me step by step directions? Or point me in the direction to find help.

Thank you!

Reactions: sharp

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!