Talon Best Tablet brand/size for GPS (i.e. Gaia) usage

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I am contemplating buying a dedicated tablet, RAM mounted into my Talon 1000X to use for GPS trail duty with software such as Gaia or equivalent. I would be Bluetoothing to my new Galaxy S10 for connectivity, although I'd be open to other alternatives if you've got better ideas (GPS pucks, etc.)

QUESTION: What tablet do you use or prefer for said duty? I'm leaning toward a Samsung product, only because that's the phone brand I'm using. I've used an iPhone most of my mobile life, and have an iPad, but I'm reluctant to spend the dollars Apple wants for their tablets and I'm not wild about constraining myself to Apple's proprietary nature, particularly for this application.

Any and all suggestions will be cheerfully considered and honestly appreciated.

Steve

D

Dwight

Oct 25, 2015
Kansas
I started with a 8" tablet and then moved to a 10" Samsung. I'm older and the 10" screen was much easier to see. I used the Gaia app some and then went with the Avenza app. Avenza has links to the MVUM maps that we use plus a ton of other options. Download the area maps you need before you need them and then there's no need to worry about connecting.
Dwight

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Supposedly Samsung has more accurate GPS. I run a 10”. I have Gaia, orux, and some others loaded. I use Orux the most often. No data connectivity required once you have the info loaded you need.

H

Hondroid

Apr 2, 2016
Canada
I am contemplating buying a dedicated tablet, RAM mounted into my Talon 1000X to use for GPS trail duty with software such as Gaia or equivalent. I would be Bluetoothing to my new Galaxy S10 for connectivity, although I'd be open to other alternatives if you've got better ideas (GPS pucks, etc.)

QUESTION: What tablet do you use or prefer for said duty? I'm leaning toward a Samsung product, only because that's the phone brand I'm using. I've used an iPhone most of my mobile life, and have an iPad, but I'm reluctant to spend the dollars Apple wants for their tablets and I'm not wild about constraining myself to Apple's proprietary nature, particularly for this application.

Steve
I use the Garmin GPSMAP 276CX. Large high res screen and water proof.

Reactions: stellarpod
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

Steve

From strictly a hardware standpoint the GPS chips used in the Samsung Galaxy Tab A series seems to be the best overall at accurate tracking outside of a true mapping GPS such as the Garmin Montana 600 series. The only downside to the Garmin is the 4" screen, which is great for portability, but is lacking when trying to read on the fly going down the trails. This is my humble opinion after owning 2 Garmin Montana 650Ts and migrated to the 10" & 8" Samsung Galaxy Tab A tablets originally using the Oruxmaps app for my trail duties.

The particular GPS chips in the Samsung tablets not only tracks US GPS, but also the Russian GLOSNASS satellites offering a bit of redundancy. You need 3 satellites minimum to get position accuracy within 100 feet, these chips track up to 12 satellites concurrently for some of the best non military hardware accuracy available as a true stand alone off road GPS solution especially for under $200.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
The only downside to the Garmin is the 4" screen, which is great for portability, but is lacking when trying to read on the fly going down the trails.

Well, that 4" screen would be right at home next to the Talon's puny instrumentation. :D

Steve

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I'm wondering if I should just use my Galaxy S10 phone at first, just to get a handle on usage of the different software (Gaia, Orux, Avenza, etc.) and then move up to a tablet once I've concluded which software I prefer? I've already got RAM mount accessories for it, would just need to mount a ball somewhere.

Steve

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I'm wondering if I should just use my Galaxy S10 phone at first, just to get a handle on usage of the different software (Gaia, Orux, Avenza, etc.) and then move up to a tablet once I've concluded which software I prefer? I've already got RAM mount accessories for it, would just need to mount a ball somewhere.

Steve

Here is what Orux maps app looks like on a Samsung Galaxy 8+ phone with a good topo map and Mudcons trail overlay.

Screenshot 20190513 121231 OruxMaps

Landman

Landman

The Great Bearded One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
And if some reason the gps is poor on your tablet or you have a none gps version of a tablet this will hook you up to satellites and hook to the tablet Bluetooth. I have used the older 150 version with very good results just testing it.

XGPS160 - SkyPro GPS Receiver
I just recently got a 150 over the 160 mainly due to amazon reviews of the 160’s crapping out and having problems. I’ve got a 10” amazon fire tablet that I’d picked up a while back and the 150 works great with it. I’ve only been able to test it on the sxs around the house, but I put in the truck and ran some errands and went to the liquor store and it was amazingly accurate - I zoomed in and it showed down to the foot how I parked in the lot! I could see how I drove out of the lot dodging potholes and everything... was really cool. Just hope it works the same out on the trails. We may take a ride up at Brock Creek later this week so I’ll get to officially test it out.

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
I just recently got a 150 over the 160 mainly due to amazon reviews of the 160’s crapping out and having problems. I’ve got a 10” amazon fire tablet that I’d picked up a while back and the 150 works great with it. I’ve only been able to test it on the sxs around the house, but I put in the truck and ran some errands and went to the liquor store and it was amazingly accurate - I zoomed in and it showed down to the foot how I parked in the lot! I could see how I drove out of the lot dodging potholes and everything... was really cool. Just hope it works the same out on the trails. We may take a ride up at Brock Creek later this week so I’ll get to officially test it out.

worked flawlessly on the trails during take over

A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
R

red124

Sep 7, 2018
MN
Just wondering why nobody other than me ever mentions using the free polaris ride command app? I have a refurbished samsung galaxy s2 8" wifi only and never had a problem. It has a bunch of trail already loaded on it and you can map or track your own. Only thing you have ot remmeber to do is download the trails for offline use when you are riding in areas without cell service or wifi. I also found that a matte screen protector work fairly well to cut down glare but does get dirty easy.

Reactions: TimG
A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Just wondering why nobody other than me ever mentions using the free polaris ride command app? I have a refurbished samsung galaxy s2 8" wifi only and never had a problem. It has a bunch of trail already loaded on it and you can map or track your own. Only thing you have ot remmeber to do is download the trails for offline use when you are riding in areas without cell service or wifi. I also found that a matte screen protector work fairly well to cut down glare but does get dirty easy.

I use it but I haven't figured out how to download trails, offline it doesn't track very well. I will tinker with it tonight. I bought the Garmin Glo 2 to help my 8in tablet with better accuracy it picks up quite a few satellites.

I just figured out how to download offline maps I will do that tonight I didn't know it had that ability.

Last edited:
Reactions: TimG
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
What is mudcons

What is Mudcons trail overlay? And what is Topo map?
Read this thread, should get you up to speed. Don't understand a term, Google is your friend.

OruxMap's - My GPS Replacement!

Mudcon is a user with several trail systems on overlays that can be used in conjunction with topo and or base maps using Oruxmaps app , check out his YouTube channel

Reactions: Byrdman
I

iloehr99

Feb 27, 2016
Southern Indiana
I just recently got the Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 2

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07856DNSX/?tag=sxsweb24-20

And I use this ram mount holder which plugs in the 12V cigarette lighter and charges when the tablet is put in the holder.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010E41EA6/?tag=sxsweb24-20

I use the Backcountry navigator Pro. I have used this app for years on my phone and it has worked great. There is a new version call Backcountry Navigator XE which is way better. I haven't got a change to use it on the trails yet but the user interface is much much better.

The tablet is extremely durable and you don't have to worry about it getting wet. I was riding at Rush Offroad in Kentucky and it downpoured and it worked just fine in the rain. It was even still easy to use the touch screen with it wet. I don't have a picture of it mounted but I will try to get one and post it later.

rbtnt

rbtnt

Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2015
Ownership

1. Talon X
I just recently got the Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 2

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07856DNSX/?tag=sxsweb24-20

And I use this ram mount holder which plugs in the 12V cigarette lighter and charges when the tablet is put in the holder.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010E41EA6/?tag=sxsweb24-20

I use the Backcountry navigator Pro. I have used this app for years on my phone and it has worked great. There is a new version call Backcountry Navigator XE which is way better. I haven't got a change to use it on the trails yet but the user interface is much much better.

The tablet is extremely durable and you don't have to worry about it getting wet. I was riding at Rush Offroad in Kentucky and it downpoured and it worked just fine in the rain. It was even still easy to use the touch screen with it wet. I don't have a picture of it mounted but I will try to get one and post it later.

Are you happy with the Active 2 tablet? I tried Backcountry Navigator XE and it seem to have bugs. I'm looking at getting an Active 2 tablet to load Backcountry Navigator Pro and OruxMap. I tried both on a Galaxy S7, but don't know which one I like better. There are pros and cons for each one.

Did you get a chance to tale a picture of yours mounted? I am looking at getting a locking mount that is easy to unlock and remove.

I

iloehr99

Feb 27, 2016
Southern Indiana
Are you happy with the Active 2 tablet? I tried Backcountry Navigator XE and it seem to have bugs. I'm looking at getting an Active 2 tablet to load Backcountry Navigator Pro and OruxMap. I tried both on a Galaxy S7, but don't know which one I like better. There are pros and cons for each one.

Did you get a chance to tale a picture of yours mounted? I am looking at getting a locking mount that is easy to unlock and remove.

I'm really happy with the Active 2. Mainly that its extremely durable. I don't have to worry about getting mud and water all over. I still try not to get crud on it but it's gonna happen. Also, it's just like using my Galaxy S8 Active phone so it's easy to use for me. I agree on the XE. Hopefully they will get it straightened out soon. I use the Orux when I can't get maps to overlay on backcountry, I can usually get them on the Orux. Here's some pictures I got of my phone mount and the tablet mounted in the Pioneer and in the Talon.

20190614 093230 20190614 093245 20190614 093418 20190614 093434 20190614 093728 20190614 093743 20190614 093812 20190614 093823

Reactions: stellarpod

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!