P500 Best Tire size to gain clearance and still fit in truck

C

crushing

Mar 14, 2021
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 520
Hi All, just picked up my 520 a couple of weeks ago and have put about 50 miles on it . I ordered the mad ramp system and I am loving it as well. Also just got my Trigger heat shield that I will be installing this weekend (thanks trigger). Now I am looking at other after market accessories to add.

Probably the biggest question I have is, I want to upgrade tires to either a 26 or 27 on stock rims but need to make sure the p520 back tires will still fit between wheel wells and I don’t want to have to do any mods to suspension or spacers . I do a lot of hunting and will be riding in a lot of different terrain, from very rocky to very muddy if it rains in certain areas . Plus I live in Albuquerque, so high dessert so will also be riding in a lot of sandy around where I will joy ride . What tires and size would someone suggest keeping in mind I still need to fit between wheel wells of truck fro my mad ramp system.
Tires I have been looking at
Kenda bear claws 26x9x12 all away around. Or 26” maxxis big horns 2.0

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
crushing
Welcome aboard from Central N.Y
RED WAS THE FIRST Color All other Colors followed hopping to catch some of the Glory & Honda hopes they sell

We All have the best tires for our needs & riding conditions.( at least we Think we do)

Kendra bear claws HTR's - hard to beat - ( As a All Around Tire.) Smooth ride - good traction - 8ply
Unless your going to - Back On - should be able to go 26x11x12 on rear - ( better flotation in sand )
Some have gone to 27's on stock wheels & suspension without problems

Many Super Fun memories are already on the way.

Reactions: J80
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
If you go up you need to go out as well. All of us wanted to go with taller tires without making the machine any wider but it's ill advised. If you choose to go that route anyway you'll be doing the machine more harm than good in regards to performance. Stick to flat trails and keep your speed way down especially when turning. It'll be a puckerfest.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Tire choice is a matter of preference, I've got BH 2.0s on the Donkey and they work great for us. I'd avoid going the same size all the way around if using the stock wheels, some probably do but I wouldn't, the fronts are narrower than the rears so actual height when aired up will be different front to back. I agree with @trigger , if you go up you need to go out. I went with 26 x 9 on 5+2 ITP wheels on all 4 and put 1" spacers on the rear to maintain track width (the rear track is narrower than the front). I can measure the actual width with this set up if you want, guessing it's 54" or so. Trigger probably knows of the top of his head.....he's the resident expert when it comes to the P5 :)

B

Bomersteve35

Jan 9, 2021
Portland or
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
26x9 roctanes with 12 inch 5+2 wheels. 53 wide in front and only a 1/4 inch clearance on frame rail corners. We went with beadlocks for both the ease of mounting and preparing a tire and the added grip when on trails and the side wall has to do alot of the work for the tire. It has to squeeze the tire to get into my 2002 gmc. Or one front wheel has to climb the inner fender but drops down and it's fine. Im sure if I backed it in it would fit fine. The rocktane tires were used but still work well the ride felt better. On a week trip they work good in slick mud trails and on shale rock trails. And they track nice on gravel roads. We also went with the same size tire on all 4 so one spare would be enough. Plus the amount of grip they give there is no need for wider rear tires. The 520 does not have enough hp to spin 12 wide rears. In 4wd 4 9 inch wide tires got the wife every place we went.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Tire choice is a matter of preference, I've got BH 2.0s on the Donkey and they work great for us. I'd avoid going the same size all the way around if using the stock wheels, some probably do but I wouldn't, the fronts are narrower than the rears so actual height when aired up will be different front to back. I agree with @trigger , if you go up you need to go out. I went with 26 x 9 on 5+2 ITP wheels on all 4 and put 1" spacers on the rear to maintain track width (the rear track is narrower than the front). I can measure the actual width with this set up if you want, guessing it's 54" or so. Trigger probably knows of the top of his head.....he's the resident expert when it comes to the P5 :)

Lol, well I wouldn't call myself an expert on anything honestly. Can only comment on what I've tried, which is just about everything on this machine. The narrowest track I found after stepping up to 26x9's and maintaining stability was 52 1/2". That's adding 1" spacers to stock wheels. That's measuring at the widest part of the tire, right at the bottom where it bulges, which can vary slightly depending on psi and temperatures. It was still able to squeeze between the wheel wells on a Sierra with a Line X liner.

C

crushing

Mar 14, 2021
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 520
26x9 roctanes with 12 inch 5+2 wheels. 53 wide in front and only a 1/4 inch clearance on frame rail corners. We went with beadlocks for both the ease of mounting and preparing a tire and the added grip when on trails and the side wall has to do alot of the work for the tire. It has to squeeze the tire to get into my 2002 gmc. Or one front wheel has to climb the inner fender but drops down and it's fine. Im sure if I backed it in it would fit fine. The rocktane tires were used but still work well the ride felt better. On a week trip they work good in slick mud trails and on shale rock trails. And they track nice on gravel roads. We also went with the same size tire on all 4 so one spare would be enough. Plus the amount of grip they give there is no need for wider rear tires. The 520 does not have enough hp to spin 12 wide rears. In 4wd 4 9 inch wide tires got the wife every place we went.
I actually do back in on with my mad ramp system it makes it easier to get out as the door opens and like that when I get gas in truck it puts the 520 gas fill on same side as well.

517E6A28 267C 4AEF 89BD B36387104FBF

C

crushing

Mar 14, 2021
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 520
Lol, well I wouldn't call myself an expert on anything honestly. Can only comment on what I've tried, which is just about everything on this machine. The narrowest track I found after stepping up to 26x9's and maintaining stability was 52 1/2". That's adding 1" spacers to stock wheels. That's measuring at the widest part of the tire, right at the bottom where it bulges, which can vary slightly depending on psi and temperatures. It was still able to squeeze between the wheel wells on a Sierra with a Line X liner.
I think that width would probably work as on my chevy hd2500 I think I have right at 52 between the wheel wells and I usually back it on . For you went 26 x 9 all the around ? From another post it sounds like a 5+2 off set if I decided to change wheels would be around the same as adding 1 inch spacers to stock rims ?

Reactions: DaddyDubbs and J80
S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
Buy the tires that are suitable for your terrain and usage. A rear 26x11 will probably measure a true 11". Stock may be barely 10". Measure 'em. That widens you one and lifts you one. Your ride quality will be vastly improved with a quality tire. After that, every inch up may need two out.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I think that width would probably work as on my chevy hd2500 I think I have right at 52 between the wheel wells and I usually back it on . For you went 26 x 9 all the around ? From another post it sounds like a 5+2 off set if I decided to change wheels would be around the same as adding 1 inch spacers to stock rims ?

I had 11's on the back, better in the sand. 5+2's will push you out 1"/1.5" more.

C

crushing

Mar 14, 2021
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 520
I had 11's on the back, better in the sand. 5+2's will push you out 1"/1.5" more.
Thanks trigger ! You are a wealth I knowledge for sure . By the way, I did receive my trigger shield this past week . I have not put in on yet as I was out of town this weekend but will be installing it sometime this week. Again, thank you !

Upstater

Upstater

Nov 13, 2018
Upstate NY
Ownership

1. 500
I have 26x9/11 Kenda BearClaw HTR's on stock wheels and they have been great for the past 2 years. I recently installed 1" RB3 spacers with that same set up and would be happy to get any measurements needed if interested. I do a good bit of off camber riding in some hilly country and the stock set up worked but I'm really looking forward to seeing how the spacers feel.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
@crushing, congrats on the 520! Fun times ahead for sure. I’d recommend radials, they roll smoother and I’d say provide greater traction. 12” rims will give you a better ride too as there’s more side wall. On the second season of my HTRs in 27x11x12 on 5-2 rims on all corners. They just touch my front mud flaps on full lock.

Not sure on the gearing on the new rigs nor comparative HP/Torque to the 2015s. With my 2015 27s work fine on 5-2 rims mind you I primarily ride mine alone with a few tools, Chainsaw, axe, shovel, 5 gallons of water in fire season plus other keerap I’d guess total of 100-150lbs of mods and gear. Now if I had someone else with me full time or hauled more gear (full time) or at high elevation (I’m typically between 2000-6000 ft ASL) I’d probably run 26” tires. I opted for 27” as the long term plan is to increase HP/torque with exhaust, intake and tuner. Intake is done, exhaust is done... no tuner yet. Mine is about 56” wide and it squeezes into my old 97 Powerstroke snuggly wouldn’t want it any wider.
Cheers,
j

C

crushing

Mar 14, 2021
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 520
I have 26x9/11 Kenda BearClaw HTR's on stock wheels and they have been great for the past 2 years. I recently installed 1" RB3 spacers with that same set up and would be happy to get any measurements needed if interested. I do a good bit of off camber riding in some hilly country and the stock set up worked but I'm really looking forward to seeing how the spacers feel.
I would love to know how wide you are you are front and back outside to side on wheels with that setup if you could measure that would be awesome . So you are running same tire size front and back ?

Upstater

Upstater

Nov 13, 2018
Upstate NY
Ownership

1. 500
I would love to know how wide you are you are front and back outside to side on wheels with that setup if you could measure that would be awesome . So you are running same tire size front and back ?
I'm running "traditional" widths (9" up front and 11" rear). I'm hoping to start messing with some flexy flare rear fenders either tonight or tomorrow and can take a few measurements and get back to you.

M

MacGyver

Dec 27, 2018
Nw Ontario
Ownership

1. 500
I not saying don't go with spacers (probably a good idea) but I'm running 27" Vampires with no spacers and it works for me. Course I still use flip phone too haha. It definitely feels a bit more tippy but I prefer the narrower width for my trails around here in Northwestern Ontario, and for loading into my trailer...ymmv. Cheers.
Received 633470890996836
Received 346272533508927

Upstater

Upstater

Nov 13, 2018
Upstate NY
Ownership

1. 500
I agree with MacGyver that you don't "need" the spacers as I ran the 26" Bearclaws on stock wheels for the last two years. I even do some pretty significant off camber riding that makes you forget to breathe every now and then. I will however say that based on all of the helpful advice and opinions on here I did just add some 1" spacers. It will be interesting to see how much better of a billy goat this thing can be with the spacers and the ASB now finally removed. I nearly finished my rear fender flares tonight and grabbed some quick measurements. I leaned a couple of framing squares against the tires and measured off the edges and got 53.25" outside to outside. Hope that helps.

Reactions: crushing and J80
Timmy

Timmy

May 22, 2016
Elkview, West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
I am also running vampire 2’s. 27x9-12’s on stock rims with 2” spacers on all four wheels. My machine is pretty stable now.

C

crushing

Mar 14, 2021
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 520
I agree with MacGyver that you don't "need" the spacers as I ran the 26" Bearclaws on stock wheels for the last two years. I even do some pretty significant off camber riding that makes you forget to breathe every now and then. I will however say that based on all of the helpful advice and opinions on here I did just add some 1" spacers. It will be interesting to see how much better of a billy goat this thing can be with the spacers and the ASB now finally removed. I nearly finished my rear fender flares tonight and grabbed some quick measurements. I leaned a couple of framing squares against the tires and measured off the edges and got 53.25" outside to outside. Hope that helps.
Thank you upstater . Is that in front or back or both ?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!