BOX1

Talon BF Goodrich KM3'S 30-10-15 info.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I have been looking for a lightweight 30-10-15 all around tire for my Talon X. These have come to the top of my list but can't find many UTV reviews. I had these on my Jeep when I used to wheel it and liked them for all-around!

Looking to see if anyone has any opinions on them? Thanks!

Chieftain15

Chieftain15

Oct 5, 2019
Orange County, CA
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have them on mine and though I don't have a lot of miles on them yet they've performed admirably in both desert and dune conditions. Really pleased with them.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I have them on mine and though I don't have a lot of miles on them yet they've performed admirably in both desert and dune conditions. Really pleased with them.

So I take it you don't feel a ton of power loss then with you using them in those conditions? I figure if your happy with them in the sand!!) I do most of my trip riding in Tennessee!

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So I take it you don't feel a ton of power loss then with you using them in those conditions? I figure if your happy with them in the sand!!) I do most of my trip riding in Tennessee!

If Tim gets my tag he can speak about his tires. I think he has mentioned that for the East Coast type of riding there are probably better choices out there. I could be wrong though, I don’t have any personal experience with those tires but that is one of my brands of choice for my on road vehicles.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
So
If Tim gets my tag he can speak about his tires. I think he has mentioned that for the East Coast type of riding there are probably better choices out there. I could be wrong though, I don’t have any personal experience with those tires but that is one of my brands of choice for my on road vehicles.

Sounds good Thanks! I agree with you that I really like this brand for my on-road vehicles. I also had these on my Jeep that I wheeled with! They were a great all-around tire on my Jeep but not sure how they will be on a UTV. I want to keep as much of the factory power as I can which is why I'm searching for the all-arounder that is lighter. A buddy of mine has the tusk terabytes and they work great but they are a heavy 30-in tire. Maybe I'm looking for the perfect tire that doesn't exist! :cool: . I looked at the MTR race but they claim they will get eaten alive on the road and I do do some road driving. I wanted to do a 9-in MTR race tire up front and a 10-in wide MTR race tire in the back. I would love to do a offset tire keeping factory specs but it seems hard to find a tire that is 9 in wide and also has a 10in or 11in wide option.

I really liked those Sedona rockabillies I had on my pioneer 1000...but I don't think that will fit the bill on the Talon for my uses.

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
i have them i the 32" flavor. the deeper mud they leave something to be desired, for most of the riding i do here in the southwest, i absolutely love them. they do well in the snow also. weight wise, i can see a little impact on power, deep sand the machine doesn't have the power to pull 6th gear top speed, sandy roads or gravel roads it's fine. mind you i live at 7000 feet.
That said my next set will be 30" same tires.
I really enjoy them. i have no complaints thus far.
You might look into the Maxxis liberties, i know they are light weight. and very good in most conditions.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So

Sounds good Thanks! I agree with you that I really like this brand for my on-road vehicles. I also had these on my Jeep that I wheeled with! They were a great all-around tire on my Jeep but not sure how they will be on a UTV. I want to keep as much of the factory power as I can which is why I'm searching for the all-arounder that is lighter. A buddy of mine has the tusk terabytes and they work great but they are a heavy 30-in tire. Maybe I'm looking for the perfect tire that doesn't exist! :cool: . I looked at the MTR race but they claim they will get eaten alive on the road and I do do some road driving. I wanted to do a 9-in MTR race tire up front and a 10-in wide MTR race tire in the back. I would love to do a offset tire keeping factory specs but it seems hard to find a tire that is 9 in wide and also has a 10in or 11in wide option.

I really liked those Sedona rockabillies I had on my pioneer 1000...but I don't think that will fit the bill on the Talon for my uses.

Look again at the tusk Terrabites, I think they are actually a fairly light tire in the 30 inch size. Certainly lighter than a lot of other 30s. I came from the Roctanes to the Terrabites So for sure the Terrabites made the vehicle feel a lot better as they were nowhere near as heavy as the Roctanes. Itp makes some light tires, what about the terrahooks?

Last edited:
Chieftain15

Chieftain15

Oct 5, 2019
Orange County, CA
Ownership

1. Talon R
Well I'm not going to call it the best solution for sand but for an overall multi purpose tire I think they do great.

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon x4
Bfgs are on the heavy side. Check out ITP Terra Hooks for a light weight alternative to Carnivores.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Look again at the tusk Terrabites, I think they are actually a fairly light tire in the 30 inch size. Certainly lighter than a lot of other 30s. I came from the Roctanes to the Terrabites So for sure the Terrabites made the vehicle feel a lot better as they were nowhere near as heavy as the Roctanes. Itp makes some light tires, what about the terrahooks?
I don't know what constitutes "light" but I did weigh the stock and this combo before I installed them...

Stock Tires/Wheels Front 39 LBS Rear 44 LBS
Tusk Terrabite Kevlar on System 3 SB-4 Beadlocks come in at 54 LBS...

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL

You are right, the Terrabites are lighter then I thought....not sure where I was reading but I had the Terrabites over 40lbs and the BFGs around 36-37lbs. Not sure what I was smoking or drinking....:p. sorry for that wrong info.

Reactions: joeymt33
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
So I believe I have made a decision on a tire! I think I am going to order the MRT Race 30-9-15 (32lbs) 8ply for the front and the MRT Dual Threat 30-10-15 (36lbs) 10ply. I really wanted to stay with an different sizing for the fronts since I am staying with the stock wheels for now. I personally would rather not have a 10" tire on the stock front rim if possible. MRT people were awesome to talk to and very helpful! Thoughts?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So I believe I have made a decision on a tire! I think I am going to order the MRT Race 30-9-15 (32lbs) 8ply for the front and the MRT Dual Threat 30-10-15 (36lbs) 10ply. I really wanted to stay with an different sizing for the fronts since I am staying with the stock wheels for now. I personally would rather not have a 10" tire on the stock front rim if possible. MRT people were awesome to talk to and very helpful! Thoughts?

How much are they?!! Just from my quick search I’d say you’re spending way too much!

Get some Roxzillas, EVOs, Terrahooks, Carnivores, etc and save hundreds.

Surely they’re cheaper than what I saw on google?

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
How much are they?!! Just from my quick search I’d say you’re spending way too much!

Get some Roxzillas, EVOs, Terrahooks, Carnivores, etc and save hundreds.

Surely they’re cheaper than what I saw on google?

Yes they are expensive!( They are actually cutting the price alot which made it more reasonable. I am waiting on final but they have been talking closer to $900 which is more than others but not double which is more like there retail pricing shows! I don't want spend a ton more but tires and weight of them play a bigger role in performance than most realize. A couple pounds of rotational mass is big for handling and power. I use play do alot with cars. Imports with hopped up 4 cylinders were super quick and nimble but wheel and tire combos played huge and how much they affected the power and handling. A couple pounds lighter in wheel and tire setups is is about the same as a person with heavier wheel and tire setups and small performance mods. At least that's what I'm after and hoping to find out on the Talon also. If the price ends up being what you're seeing online then I will most likely be going with the tusk Terrabites! Thanks Joey for always helping and keeping me thinking!) My anal perfectionist sometimes gets me blinded by little details that I really shouldn't be fretting about! :cool:

Reactions: Ddoggy and joeymt33
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yes they are expensive!( They are actually cutting the price alot which made it more reasonable. I am waiting on final but they have been talking closer to $900 which is more than others but not double which is more like there retail pricing shows! I don't want spend a ton more but tires and weight of them play a bigger role in performance than most realize. A couple pounds of rotational mass is big for handling and power. I use play do alot with cars. Imports with hopped up 4 cylinders were super quick and nimble but wheel and tire combos played huge and how much they affected the power and handling. A couple pounds lighter in wheel and tire setups is is about the same as a person with heavier wheel and tire setups and small performance mods. At least that's what I'm after and hoping to find out on the Talon also. If the price ends up being what you're seeing online then I will most likely be going with the tusk Terrabites! Thanks Joey for always helping and keeping me thinking!) My anal perfectionist sometimes gets me blinded by little details that I really shouldn't be fretting about! :cool:

They are a good looking tire though. I know what you mean by the unsprung weight and rotational mass playing a big role because my 32 inch Terrabites feel better than the 30” Roctanes I used to have.

Keep us posted.

Reactions: Hometeam
B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
Am I reading it wrong or do they only offer 30" x10 in 14" rims? then you would have 15" on front & 14" on rear?

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Am I reading it wrong or do they only offer 30" x10 in 14" rims? then you would have 15" on front & 14" on rear?

Yes you are reading it right. The race tire that I'm putting on the front only comes in a 30-9-15. To have that same tire in a 10" wide tire they only make that in a 14" rim (doesn't make sense to me). So in order to get a 10-in wide tire that matched that diameter I went with the same brand but a different style of tire that is call the "Dual Threat". That tire comes in a 30-10-15. in conversation with them they actually said that would be a killer setup having those dual threats in the back and the race up front. I wanted to stick with a 9-in wide tire up front with the stock wheels (they are a little narrow) and go with a wider tire in the rear keeping the machine with as close to stock handling! I love the size of the Talon X and wanted to keep it as close to that as possible..... The perfect Talon in my mind would be the width of the X and the suspension of the R! But I ride in the woods mostly!;)

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!