TimberBull

Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2017
Deer Lodge, TN
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-3

3. Big Red
I recently bought a 2012 BR that was owned by a retired couple. It doesnt appear to have much use. I think it sat a lot and had ethanol fuel in it. It is hard to start and doesnt like to idle. It runs fine when warmed up but it takes a while to get there without constant dying. I have replaced the plug and air filter and removed and cleaned the tank and cleaned the fuel filter and fuel pump. It was full of black residue like dissolved powder. I refueled it and it started up and ran for a few minutes and died again.
Does anyone have any ideas? Im about to lose my little mind.

Reactions: Styrlbob
TimberBull

TimberBull

Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2017
Deer Lodge, TN
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-3

3. Big Red
Thanks! I will try that tomorrow if i can find a T20 secutity bit. I have regular torx bits.

TimberBull

TimberBull

Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2017
Deer Lodge, TN
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-3

3. Big Red
D

Deleted member 3748

Just guessing here, but can you clean the fuel injector?

TimberBull

TimberBull

Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2017
Deer Lodge, TN
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-3

3. Big Red
I cleaned the IACV and took the fuel hose loose at the TBI. When i turn the key on the fuel pump sounds like it is pumping but no fuel comes out of the fuel line ar the TBI. So next I guess i pull the right side back off and see if i can pump fuel from the top of the tank. If I do then my line is stopped up. It doesnt make sense to me but thats all Ive got to work with for now. Anyone got any other ideas?

TimberBull

TimberBull

Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2017
Deer Lodge, TN
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-3

3. Big Red
Success! I ordered a fuel pump over two weeks ago since the tank and filter was so dirty. Got it installed and it starts, idles, and runs better than it ever has since i got it. I never have to touch the throttle when starting and it hasnt died for any reason. Got a good ride in today and I'm not mad at it anymore. I was really afraid I was gonna have to take it to somebody and take a chance on spending a buncha big bucks to have something for my investment.

Here is the take away: Just because you can hear the fuel pump run when you hit the switch doesn't mean it's providing enough fuel pressure. It seemed odd that mine ran well once it was finally warm and running but didnt want to start and idle.

Anyway, I'm a happy camper. Those who offered suggestions IOU a frosted beverage of your choice. Cheers to the rest!

Reactions: lee