BRed Big red starting problems

R

Rockycreek

Feb 9, 2020
Natchez ms
Ownership

1. Big Red
Hello

My big red has all the sudden stopped turning over. All the lights come on and the fuel pump but when you turn the key the stater relay just clicks or sometimes hums. I have changed the stater relay but it still does the same thing. Never had any issues with it since I had it. It did have the stator recall service completed on it a several years ago. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You might need a new starter, it’s probably a pain but I’d pull it off there and try getting it to turn with some jumper cables.

Reactions: Mudwing
R

Rockycreek

Feb 9, 2020
Natchez ms
Ownership

1. Big Red
Got the starter off it won’t do anything when hooked up to 12 volts. Are any of the aftermarket starters any good.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Can you post a photo of the starter? I have a idea on a quick test to see if the magnets are broken without disassembly the starter after removing it from the machine.

R

Rockycreek

Feb 9, 2020
Natchez ms
Ownership

1. Big Red
Here you go

0ADDAEB8 320D 4B04 9299 31E8EBACF159

H

HondaTech

Can you post a photo of the starter? I have a idea on a quick test to see if the magnets are broken without disassembly the starter after removing it from the machine.

Usually trying to turn the starter is easy way to identify magnet delamination.

But I've done so many of these, I dont even bother anymore. They all come apart.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’d say it’s probably shot, we had to replace one on a new pioneer 500 at the Takeover last year. I bet it only had 600 miles on it, when we pulled it apart the magnets looked like they’d been through a blender.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
If you hold the 2 motor leads together, you should feel a resistance while they are together. If it turns easy then the motor fields are damaged or the armature winding is open.