P500 Bigger P500 tires

TCJ2436

TCJ2436

Oct 5, 2018
North Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Hey all, Happy New Year! I’m looking at putting some bigger tires on my 2018 P500. I’m considering going up to 27”, but still not 100% sure yet...I might go bigger. Wondering if you guys could share your personal experiences and knowledge on the subject, like...

*What’s the biggest tire that can go on the P500 without making any modifications to the machine? I don’t want to modify the frame or body in any fashion.

*Are there any rubbing or clearance issues anywhere?

*Do I need spacers? Or is that only if I’m putting on different sized wheels?

*What tires are you yourself running, and honestly, how do you like them?

And lastly, could you please attach some pictures of your machine, with what size tire you’ve got on it, so I can get a good idea of my options and what it will look like?

Thanks guys, and happy trails!

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Here’s mine with comparison to stock. 5+2 rims, no spacers, no rub. Better ride. Could not find original pic so here’s a link to a thread when New 2 yrs. ago. Holding up well, tire showing very little wear in pic below after 1400 miles, so choose what you really like cause they should last many years. LOL. From what I’ve read, bigger than 27s might require frame trim.
P500 - P500 Tire and Wheel pics

D9AC1DDE 0091 4049 AC2E 91096DF3D5A1

Last edited:
C

Chooglin

I think a 26" tires go well with these machines. You still have that torquey feel , that these machines are known for.

I am running 26x12x9 Bighorn origonal's on 5+2 wheels on all four corners , with 1 1/2" spacers on the rear and 1" spacers on the front.

I believe a 27" true diameter tire is the largest you can go without modding, but someone who is running them, could tell you for sure if this is true.

20180825 111105

Last edited by a moderator:
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I think a 26" tires goes well with these machines. You still have that torquey feel , that these machines are known for.

I am running 26x12x9 Bighorn origonal's on 5+2 wheels on all four corners , with 1 1/2" spacers on the rear and 1" spacers on the front.

I believe a 27" true diameter tire is the largest you can go without modding, but someone who is running them, could tell you for sure if this is true.

View attachment 99764
I'm thinking I might do 26's on the stock wheels (I have OEM rear wheels/tires at all 4 corners) with spacers -1.5 fronts and 2 in the rear.

TCJ2436

TCJ2436

Oct 5, 2018
North Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Here’s mine with comparison to stock. 5+2 rims, no spacers, no rub. Better ride. Could not find original pic so here’s a link to a thread when New 2 yrs. ago. Holding up well, tire showing very little wear in pic below after 1400 miles, so choose what you really like cause they should last many years. LOL. From what I’ve read, bigger than 27s might require frame trim.
P500 - P500 Tire and Wheel pics

View attachment 99763

Thanks Mudder. Confirming you’re running 27’s?

Reactions: Mudder
TCJ2436

TCJ2436

Oct 5, 2018
North Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I'm thinking I might do 26's on the stock wheels (I have OEM rear wheels/tires at all 4 corners) with spacers -1.5 fronts and 2 in the rear.

Thanks DGRider. I also thought about putting the bigger (stock) rear wheels on all four corners, but not sure. I have no intention of putting high end after market wheels on mine. I like the simple stock look of black OEMs. When you get yours, will you let us know how it worked out, and post a picture? Thanks!

Reactions: DG Rider
UpnorthP5

UpnorthP5

Sep 23, 2018
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 500
Chooglin what wheels are those?
They look good, I’m not a fan of all black that most are.

TCJ2436

TCJ2436

Oct 5, 2018
North Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I think a 26" tires goes well with these machines. You still have that torquey feel , that these machines are known for.

View attachment 99764

Nice looking set up Chooglin. I like your point about keeping the torquey-ness of the P500 with 26s. I know that the bigger tire you go, loss of torque will increase; but comparingly, do you think running 27s will lose all that much? FYI, I do casual trail riding only, maybe an occasional hill climb during hunting season, but I’m a pretty laid back rider not looking for speed or craziness. Not interested in speed, as long as I get there in one piece.

BuckCreek01

BuckCreek01

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2018
Griffin Ga.
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks BuckCreek. I really like that look! Have you noticed a loss of torque at all?
Purchased my P5 new with tires and rims so I have no comparison . Feels like plenty of torque but do not know compared to stock.

Reactions: TCJ2436
C

Chooglin

Nice looking set up Chooglin. I like your point about keeping the torquey-ness of the P500 with 26s. I know that the bigger tire you go, loss of torque will increase; but comparingly, do you think running 27s will lose all that much? FYI, I do casual trail riding only, maybe an occasional hill climb during hunting season, but I’m a pretty laid back rider not looking for speed or craziness. Not interested in speed, as long as I get there in one piece.
I honestly can't answer that , like you said , "I know that the bigger tire you go, loss of torque will increase" but if you go with a light weight tire , that would definitely help.

Reactions: TCJ2436
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Thanks Mudder. Confirming you’re running 27’s?
Yes 27s at 6-8 psi. Bighorn type, Journey 350. Found other good comments and ideas in the Tire and Wheel sub forum when I was shopping. Went with those as a local guy had good deals. It did add width so barely fit in restricted trails here. About torque, Climb steep rocky hills in 2nd gear at 8-10 mph for rough terrain, 3rd gear for faster and smoother trails. I ride for traction, not speed.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!