BOX1

P1000 bleeding air on edge of rim = new tires and/or new rims?

ch33br0h

ch33br0h

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2018
Jardín, Antioquia - Colombia, South America!
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've had air loss in my tires that is far from consistent...
some times I lose the air overnight, sometimes the tires stay well for 3-4 days but I can never go one week without needing to add air.
2 times, we have removed the tires and reset back on to rim and the last time the rims were cleaned and buffed on the edges.
I keep my air at 15psi it works great for the terrain I have to deal with and cuts down on puncture/pinch flats from rocks.

This last time after buffing the rim edges the air held really good for almost 4 days and I thought the battle was over.
Then as looking around at my rear axle I caught it!

Had my suspicions and today its confirmed, my air is leaking at the edge of the rims...

looking for thoughts, comments, feedback on wether its time for new tires, new rims or is there some other amazing solution out there.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Back in "the day" we used to have some black stuff we'd put on rusty or corroded wheels that had trouble with this. When it dried it was almost like black RTV (heck, even that is a thought). Don't know the name, but I'm sure it's still around at the local tire shop.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Back in "the day" we used to have some black stuff we'd put on rusty or corroded wheels that had trouble with this. When it dried it was almost like black RTV (heck, even that is a thought). Don't know the name, but I'm sure it's still around at the local tire shop.
I had to use something similar to what you're talking about on some atv tires that wouldn't hold air. I thought it was just called bead sealer. It was black and in like a paint can.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I've had air loss in my tires that is far from consistent...
some times I lose the air overnight, sometimes the tires stay well for 3-4 days but I can never go one week without needing to add air.
2 times, we have removed the tires and reset back on to rim and the last time the rims were cleaned and buffed on the edges.
I keep my air at 15psi it works great for the terrain I have to deal with and cuts down on puncture/pinch flats from rocks.

This last time after buffing the rim edges the air held really good for almost 4 days and I thought the battle was over.
Then as looking around at my rear axle I caught it!

Had my suspicions and today its confirmed, my air is leaking at the edge of the rims...

looking for thoughts, comments, feedback on wether its time for new tires, new rims or is there some other amazing solution out there.

I don't think its your rims, I think it's your tire beads, air down to 10 PSI and go on a long ride, I think your beads will seal by working the bead at a lower PSI and will seat, had the same thing happen to me. Take an air compressor and keep an eye on your tires

CMB

CMB

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
33K060 AS01

O

oldgasser

Feb 26, 2017
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
thank you all for the input,
going to search locally for that product and/or just order it on amazon.
@Smitty335 , I'll also give your idea a try to see how much it can help,
I'm wondering if that solved your problem? Just researching tires, wheels, beadlock wheels and Coyote internal bead locks.

ch33br0h

ch33br0h

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2018
Jardín, Antioquia - Colombia, South America!
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm wondering if that solved your problem?
I tried the air down/up could not find the bead sealer local, its apparently a dangerous item in airplanes and each day it seemed the tires were just getting worse.
Used to go 2-3 days before then it became daily.
The sidewalls lost all strength/rigidness on 3 of the 4.

Found a set of BF Goodrich KM3 and they seem perfect for all my needs.

O

oldgasser

Feb 26, 2017
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I recently had a stock rear tire on my 2017 1000-5 LE that would go flat over a period of several days. Eventually it got to every other day. I stopped by the local tire shop and they dunked the tire and replaced the valve core. 2 days and it was flat again. Took it back in and they dunked it with 25 lbs of air and no bubbles. Went for a ride the following day, took my portable compressor, had to pump the tire up twice. Anyhow after several more days of this I went back to the tire shop and we found the leak which the owner says has been a problem with UTV tires running part time on pavement. There was a tiny split right next to one of the lugs. Apparently running on pavement at speed puts enough stress on the lugs to cause separation of the adjacent carcass. I did have stop leak in the tire which may have been why the leak wouldn't show up in the water tank until it got bad enough to no longer be able to seal. This was a stock factory tire so hopefully the new tires will be better quality and not split the same way. I don't use it on pavement that much but 3 or 4 times a week about 2 miles round trip to the post office. Just another thing to consider when you can't find the leak.

Old Gasser

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!