BRed Block or radiator line heater

J

Jfalcon1

Feb 25, 2021
Morgantown wv
Ownership

1. Big Red
Greetings,

My big red is a bit hard to start below 20f. I was hoping that someone on here had suggestions/experience with a block heater or radiator line heaters. I know the od on the radiator line is 1 3/8”, I would assume the id is about 1”.

I am planning on using 0w30 oil in the future and changing the spark plug.

Any suggestions for a viable block heater are welcome.

Reactions: Farmer and FJC 79
T

The Welder

Nov 22, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. 700-4
Greetings,

My big red is a bit hard to start below 20f. I was hoping that someone on here had suggestions/experience with a block heater or radiator line heaters. I know the od on the radiator line is 1 3/8”, I would assume the id is about 1”.

I am planning on using 0w30 oil in the future and changing the spark plug.

Any suggestions for a viable block heater are welcome.
I have a 2019-700-4 Deluxe. I’ve added the Honda 0 weight oil and she is still nasty. Always been nasty. This year I spoke with a couple of Honda dealers and they all recommended a heating pad on the oil pan. Their reasoning was it was a better way to go (avoid rad leaks and better heat). I purchased off of Amazon Canadian Polar pad 75 watt (easy to run off of my suburban when towing to a site In Cold weather). It’s on but have not tried it yet as the weather warmed up dramatically. I also added an AGM car battery under driver seat for extra cranking amps with a battery blanket attached. I thought I would never say this for northern Alberta but I want some serious -40 weather to test everything lol. I also have an inferno cab heater that I will install next week.

JMynes

JMynes

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2021
Augusta, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had a radiator line heater (aftermarket) in a diesel Jetta about 15 years ago. It was on a timer, turned on 2 hours before I had to leave for work. It worked very well, the engine cranked faster, started right up, and I had heat about a half mile down the road instead of 5 miles.
The Duramax and Massey tractor (diesel) had block heaters, they worked well, too. They were not on timers, just plugged them in prior to starting. The duration depended on when I remembered to plug them in.
I never had any problem with the radiator line heater leaking or otherwise. I wouldn’t hesitate to use one.

Reactions: Farmer
JMynes

JMynes

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2021
Augusta, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another thought…
Installation of an in-line heater is pretty simple, and if it goes badly you buy a new hose.
A block heater can be more challenging, removing a freeze plug and pressing in the heater, then hope it doesn’t leak. If it goes badly, well, who knows where that will end.
My John Deere lawn tractor is hating the cold weather. It starts, but only after lots of cranking. I’m thinking about an oil pan warmer for that as it’s air cooled.

J

Jfalcon1

Feb 25, 2021
Morgantown wv
Ownership

1. Big Red
I have a 2019-700-4 Deluxe. I’ve added the Honda 0 weight oil and she is still nasty. Always been nasty. This year I spoke with a couple of Honda dealers and they all recommended a heating pad on the oil pan. Their reasoning was it was a better way to go (avoid rad leaks and better heat). I purchased off of Amazon Canadian Polar pad 75 watt (easy to run off of my suburban when towing to a site In Cold weather). It’s on but have not tried it yet as the weather warmed up dramatically. I also added an AGM car battery under driver seat for extra cranking amps with a battery blanket attached. I thought I would never say this for northern Alberta but I want some serious -40 weather to test everything lol. I also have an inferno cab heater that I will install next week
Another thought…
Installation of an in-line heater is pretty simple, and if it goes badly you buy a new hose.
A block heater can be more challenging, removing a freeze plug and pressing in the heater, then hope it doesn’t leak. If it goes badly, well, who knows where that will end.
My John Deere lawn tractor is hating the cold weather. It starts, but only after lots of cranking. I’m thinking about an oil pan warmer for that as it’s air cooled.
for simplicity I might try the stick on heater. Does anyone know if the oil pan is steel, the magnetic ones look neat and I could also use it on my Kubota

H

Hondarider

Mar 21, 2014
I get it that when it is cold you want thin and synthetic oil, or a heater (water or pad) but one thing that works pretty well for any gasoline engine is to turn the engine over about 4 to 5 times, and then let sit for 10-12 seconds, then start. Two things happen during this process, you allow gas to vaporize a bit and the battery will warm up slightly both helping the start. If it doesn't start in the next 4 times try waiting another 10 seconds. Another thing that we really like is a 2nd battery in parallel. There is room on the Big Red 700 MUV in front of the firewall about middle toward drivers side.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!