BOX1

P700 Brake Gremlin 2021 700-4 Deluxe

W

Woundedtatonka

Mar 11, 2021
Dallas, Ga
Ownership

1. 700-4
Howdy Forum Members! Has anyone found an aftermarket caliper for a Pioneer 700-4 D? Honda thinks they are gold plated. We ran into an issue with our right front caliper leaking brake fluid. 1st solution was to order a new seal kit which we installed. Refilled fluid and Bled the system. The brakes were fully functional again. My son pressed on the brakes so I could tighten the lugs. Peddle went to the floor and fluid came back out of the caliper. Back to square one. Help!

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty335
Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
First off, Welcome from Michigan.
no pics of your rig yet so….
Pics Or It Didnt Happen! ;)

Have u tried to get an OEM caliper? Or is your gold plated comment meaning there expensive?
I dont think there is any aftermarket ones, and I wouldn't trust one if there were! prob Chinese junk.
Either way, u need a new one. Never liked rebuilt ones I did myself.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Something isn't adding up.
If you were able to successfully bleed the system, it should hold pressure when applying brakes.
How worn is the rotor? Measure and compare with minimum thickness.
Are the pads new?

W

Woundedtatonka

Mar 11, 2021
Dallas, Ga
Ownership

1. 700-4
First off, Welcome from Michigan.
no pics of your rig yet so….
Pics Or It Didnt Happen! ;)

Have u tried to get an OEM caliper? Or is your gold plated comment meaning there expensive?
I dont think there is any aftermarket ones, and I wouldn't trust one if there were! prob Chinese junk.
Either way, u need a new one. Never liked rebuilt ones I did myself.
Understood and agree- OEM is $350 - just seems expensive!

W

Woundedtatonka

Mar 11, 2021
Dallas, Ga
Ownership

1. 700-4
Something isn't adding up.
If you were able to successfully bleed the system, it should hold pressure when applying brakes.
How worn is the rotor? Measure and compare with minimum thickness.
Are the pads new?
That’s a good thought! If the rotor became too thin- perhaps the caliper cylinder is reaching to far out? Past the seal! Pads are 50% and new ones on the way. I’ll get new rotors and try that. They are worn for sure.

W

Woundedtatonka

Mar 11, 2021
Dallas, Ga
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ive never seen a caliper blow a seal out.
Whats the story behind this unit.
Bought it new last year- unit has 2300 miles on it. We’ve been wearing it out on trails/some mud. I’d never seen that either! Plus, the caliper cylinder and opening were flawless to the naked eye. Put new seals in it- had pressure- worked great- was about to tighten the lugs and move on and then wammo- peddle to the floor and fluid coming out of the caliper cylinder pasty he dust seal.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did you by chance nick the seal installing the piston?
Did you polish or inspect the piston for scratches?
At 50% pad life, I doubt the piston is extending out the bore.

Any chance you can upload pics?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Courtesy of Ron Ayers

Order #1, and #11.
Unless the casting is damaged, that should fix your leak 100%
I would order a new bleeder just for s***s n giggles.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
It’s hard to find anything but OEM for this unit.
Right, there prob isnt any aftermarket. I was asking how many places didnu check for the OEM?
Your dealers price may be higher than others.

W

Woundedtatonka

Mar 11, 2021
Dallas, Ga
Ownership

1. 700-4
Right, there prob isnt any aftermarket. I was asking how many places didnu check for the OEM?
Your dealers price may be higher than others.
I found it a bit cheaper on Adept Power sports. I've not hear of them but I'm willing to give it a shot at $295 for the whole sub assembly. The way I've been searching is to find the part # and then google it.

W

Woundedtatonka

Mar 11, 2021
Dallas, Ga
Ownership

1. 700-4
That’s a good thought! If the rotor became too thin- perhaps the caliper cylinder is reaching to far out? Past the seal! Pads are 50% and new ones on the way. I’ll get new rotors and try that. They are worn for sure.
You don't have any idea what the mil spec on a set of new rotors is? I'd like to check mine against a stock rotor....

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I found it a bit cheaper on Adept Power sports. I've not hear of them but I'm willing to give it a shot at $295 for the whole sub assembly. The way I've been searching is to find the part # and then google it.
Whole hub, do u mean the rotor, caliper and barring assembly?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am at a loss.
If you rebuilt the caliper and it leaks. Where does it leak? From the piston or the casting?
If the piston. Save yourself $200, order another main seal and a new piston. Make sure you use brake fluid as lube on the seal when installing.

W

Woundedtatonka

Mar 11, 2021
Dallas, Ga
Ownership

1. 700-4

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!