P1000 Brake issue

Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
Having kind of an odd brake issue. Noticed it after installing highlifter and new wheels/tires. Honestly have never been too impressed with the brakes and drive in manual 95% of the time and use engine braking. The pedal feels good most of the time and brakes act normal, then randomly usually after accelerating quickly I hit the brakes and the pedal goes to the floor. Hit the pedal again and it goes back to normal. Just got done bleeding all four corners and got some air but not much. Brake fluid level was normal and no leaks noted anywhere. Any pointers? Master cylinder issue maybe?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Having kind of an odd brake issue. Noticed it after installing highlifter and new wheels/tires. Honestly have never been too impressed with the brakes and drive in manual 95% of the time and use engine braking. The pedal feels good most of the time and brakes act normal, then randomly usually after accelerating quickly I hit the brakes and the pedal goes to the floor. Hit the pedal again and it goes back to normal. Just got done bleeding all four corners and got some air but not much. Brake fluid level was normal and no leaks noted anywhere. Any pointers? Master cylinder issue maybe?

Strange, ONLY after hard acceleration?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Mine did something similar to this after adding the CATVOS a-arms. Without using the steering stops, my a-arm would touch the brake caliper and compress the piston to where I had no pedal. So this was only after turning full lock.

Inspect you're a-arms and the banjo bolt where the brake line attaches and see if those two points have been making contact with each other.

Be32baa99750e67fffa87ffd25b03435

Reactions: Upstatefreedom
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That bolt in the middle right side of the picture made the scratch on the A-arm which is directly left of that bolt.

CP: This group looked for anything rough and had a great time. It wasn't all about who was the best or correct line just some good ol boys with a beer and a 4wd.

J

JTW

Weird... guess it's all that power throwing all the fluid to the back.

Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
Decided to re-bleed. I think my wife was lifting the pedal when I would crack the bleeder. Had my neighbor give me a hand and it seems fine now. Ran around the neighborhood til the Fuzz showed up. Will know tomorrow, headed out to explore a new fishing spot.

Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
Mine did something similar to this after adding the CATVOS a-arms. Without using the steering stops, my a-arm would touch the brake caliper and compress the piston to where I had no pedal. So this was only after turning full lock.

Inspect you're a-arms and the banjo bolt where the brake line attaches and see if those two points have been making contact with each other.

View attachment 44935

I just have the HL brackets, no contact noted between the banjo and arms.

Reactions: joeymt33 and JTW
J

JTW

Decided to re-bleed. I think my wife was lifting the pedal when I would crack the bleeder. Had my neighbor give me a hand and it seems fine now. Ran around the neighborhood til the Fuzz showed up. Will know tomorrow, headed out to explore a new fishing spot.
Did you beat her??

Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
Well, went for a ride yesterday and the issue is still there. Guess I actually have to do some real digging into it. But on a side note new lift and tires made easy work of a really nasty trail. Even discovered a new lake that has hungry Rainbows it.

Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
Think I got it sorted out. Combination of S&S skids with the factory caliper guard is causing my issue. It's a similar issue as @joeymt33 at full lock either way it's contacting and must be compressing fluid out of the line. Wheels straight no issue. Gotta dig in and see if I can clearance the caliper guards. Would prefer to not remove since looking at em they do a pretty good job.

Reactions: popeye and joeymt33
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Think I got it sorted out. Combination of S&S skids with the factory caliper guard is causing my issue. It's a similar issue as @joeymt33 at full lock either way it's contacting and must be compressing fluid out of the line. Wheels straight no issue. Gotta dig in and see if I can clearance the caliper guards. Would prefer to not remove since looking at em they do a pretty good job.

Excellent job and thank you for sharing your results. Hopefully this can help someone down the road.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!