Break-in Guidelines

R

rzrmudder

Apr 6, 2013
As we all are fixing to buy a new Pioneer, we need to discuss proper break-in guidelines for these machines. It does seem everyone has there own method. Some say to take it slow and easy, allowing the rings to "seat" others say don't run it super hard but hard enough to get hot then let it cool. Then finally you have the ones that say break-in procedures are outdated in accordance with the new tech that allows a closer honing. These guys say run it HARD right off the bat. they claim that the break-in time frame on new 2010+ engines is a lot shorter then most think. They claim that you only have a short time and must apply the full force the piston will ever see to create that outer most seal. They say that running it soft only creates a premature forward seal and when you hit it hard the piston hits and jumps over that premature lip causing damage to the seal you set out to create. They claim the best solution is to run it hard creating the most outward seal possible during the first start up.

So, what is your take on this?

Below is what Honda recommends, honestly its not really a big help to me. Thus my the reason for my question. So please leave your advise on how you plan to "break-in" your Pioneer. Thanks.

The following is taken directly from page 219 of the Pioneer's owners manual.
Help assure your Honda SXS's future reliability and performance by paying extra attention to how you drive during the first operating day or 15 miles
During this period, avoid full-throttle starts and rapid acceleration.
I expected more on this topic but that's all Honda offers.

Reactions: RumpRocket
test

test

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2013
Test Account
Ownership

1. Talon R
I think I will stick to the Honda recommendations. I will be taking it easy during the first ride. I think that if anyone knew how to "break-in" there machine it would be the manufacture.

Reactions: RumpRocket

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!