P500 Brutal P500 cold start - couldn't quite get it...

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Howdy Pioneer 500 friends. This past week, as you know, we had some severe weather. Between the snow and the below-freezing temperatures on the clear nights following the snow, it was rough. Rambo's suspension and undercarriage were packed full of snow, and in order to avoid it all melting and soaking the shed floor, I just left Rambo outside for a week. On the coldest morning, at about 6:45am, I took this video. It was between -5 and -2 degrees F. The machine would not quite fire up on its own. I even waited for the red blinking light, as suggested, and I let it prime twice. But, I am NOT complaining, because all I had to do was press the throttle about 1/4" and that was all it took to get it going. Here's the video:

D

Deleted member 3748

I think you were just releasing the key too soon. Pressing the throttle shouldn't make a difference with fuel injection, but I could be mistaken if Honda has something programmed in there. Skip ahead to :43

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I'm not surprised it started with some persistence.....

Reactions: SouthwestORV
SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I wonder if it could be a difference in fuels though. We have winter and summer blends in MI and I bet you only have a summer blend.
It's possible. You can't see it, but two or three times during the video I held the key in the start position for about 1 second while the engine was starting to chug to life, but every time I let off the key it quit. I'm not disappointed, it was frigid. All I care about is that it starts and idles and runs right, which it did.

Reactions: Deleted member 3748

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!