P1000m3 Bummed with my 1000 LE: I-AWD malfunction light is on

H

hammick

Aug 1, 2019
Montana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
My new '18 LE has less than 20 miles and the I-AWD malfunction light is on. I'm bummed. I'm on vacation with it and it's gonna be real time consuming to get it to a dealer. When I put it on my tilt trailer I used the hill hold feature and the malfunction light was not on. When I went to take it off the trailer the light was on. I've ridden it around up to 50 mph with no luck. I've ridden in reverse. I also disconnected the battery cables for 15 minutes and then put them back and went for a ride. No luck.

Anyone have an advice? I'm assuming the two sensors are located on each end of the front differentials. I've checked those wire connections and they seem solid.

Thanks.

Reactions: sharp and 100Acre
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My new '18 LE has less than 20 miles and the I-AWD malfunction light is on. I'm bummed. I'm on vacation with it and it's gonna be real time consuming to get it to a dealer. When I put it on my tilt trailer I used the hill hold feature and the malfunction light was not on. When I went to take it off the trailer the light was on. I've ridden it around up to 50 mph with no luck. I've ridden in reverse. I also disconnected the battery cables for 15 minutes and then put them back and went for a ride. No luck.

Anyone have an advice? I'm assuming the two sensors are located on each end of the front differentials. I've checked those wire connections and they seem solid.

Thanks.
Sorry to hear about your problem, but welcome to the Forum

Reactions: sharp
H

hammick

Aug 1, 2019
Montana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
UPDATE: Problem fixed. The connector for the passenger rear sensor was disconnected. Must not have been seated all the way at the factory and came undone during trailing. Once I connected it the malfunction light did not go away. I pulled each fuse, reinserted them, turned on the ignition and then the error went away. I disconnected the sensor again to confirm that was the issue and the malfunction light came back. This time I didn't have to pull any fuses. Strange.

Anyway I avoided a nervous breakdown.

H

HondaTech

The MIL light will stay lit every time even if the key is cycled if the system detects a fault when error checking at first power up.

It didnt go off when you plugged it back in because the ECM was still showing that was a current code.

It will only go out if the problem is corrected and the key is cycled, but the code will be stored in the ECM no matter what until it's cleared from memory.

When you unplugged the sensor again, the ECM recognized the problem immediately and illuminated the MIL. I assume you plugged it back in and cycled the key then the ECM didnt see the problem when the key powered everything on, thus the MIL stayed off.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!