P1000 Burning oil. Rings?

bigcountrywv87

bigcountrywv87

Jun 20, 2020
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2016 pk1000 with just under 4,000 miles. Was having problems with the machine staling after coming to a start then itd stall on restart. Oil pressure light was on. Oil was low on oil. Past 2 rides I had it on I ran it hard. I topped off the oil and ran it some and seems to be holding oil better, but it appears to have oil coming out the exhaust on cold starts and smokes after it warms up (pictures attached). Anyone else encounter this?

4D940FD7 C9DC 4CF6 9681 BE8C15E79E41

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Id say bad rings as the worse case.
Depends on how hard you run tour machine? When was the last time you checked your valve clearance?
Also how often did u change your oil and what type/brand are u using?

Mine is a 16’ with over 4k on it and no isuues like this. Has had regular service and shes been run hard a few times.

bigcountrywv87

bigcountrywv87

Jun 20, 2020
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Id say bad rings as the worse case.
Depends on how hard you run tour machine? When was the last time you checked your valve clearance?
Also how often did u change your oil and what type/brand are u using?

Mine is a 16’ with over 4k on it and no isuues like this. Has had regular service and shes been run hard a few times.
Just depends…mostly trail ride and it’s moderate, but sometimes could be on a strip road or hard top, going pretty much at maximum capacity for 15-20 minutes at a time. Haven’t checked valve clearance but as far as routine maintenance, I’ve always been early on fluid changes. Honda oil. I did use rosella t6 for one or 2 oil changes but that’s been a couple years.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Just depends…mostly trail ride and it’s moderate, but sometimes could be on a strip road or hard top, going pretty much at maximum capacity for 15-20 minutes at a time. Haven’t checked valve clearance but as far as routine maintenance, I’ve always been early on fluid changes. Honda oil. I did use rosella t6 for one or 2 oil changes but that’s been a couple years.
Thats all I use is the T6
Yeah id pull the plugs and change them and check your valve clearence while your in there. Wouldn't hurt to do a compression test before and after the Valve lash.

bigcountrywv87

bigcountrywv87

Jun 20, 2020
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The cause, obviously, can also be a leak at the air cleaner allowing dirt to pass bad stuff to the engine. I installed a pre-cleaner, oiled foam, under the hood. Cheap insurance. (Shown before oiling foam.)View attachment 385872
I guess that could be a possibility too. I did just change my setup. I’m just using the factory pre-filter, I’ve been meaning to find a foam filter for it.

1659A04E 0592 433C B8FE FBD47D40DB14

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
4K miles with regular oil changes, I don't really care how hard you run it - it would be really unusual for your Honda engine to even need rings.

Please keep us up to date on what you find.

bigcountrywv87

bigcountrywv87

Jun 20, 2020
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, so I did find the original pre cleaner got sucked through the intake and was on the backside of the air filter. So I bought a new air filter and a foam filter for the pre filter. On cold start I still have what appears to be oil coming out the tailpipe. I rode it fairly hard for 30 minutes. Came to a stop, then upon take off, stalled out. Drove back home and checked the oil. But doesn’t appear to be low. Wondering if I’ve got gas in the oil pan? I can’t smell too good since I had Covid, everything smells weird, but the wife thought it maybe smelled like gas.

29D99685 DF67 42DD A1B8 0A4AA5EB7D7D 974D9A4F A172 470D 9C4E AABC7B1C0FA2

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Ok, so I did find the original pre cleaner got sucked through the intake and was on the backside of the air filter. So I bought a new air filter and a foam filter for the pre filter. On cold start I still have what appears to be oil coming out the tailpipe. I rode it fairly hard for 30 minutes. Came to a stop, then upon take off, stalled out. Drove back home and checked the oil. But doesn’t appear to be low. Wondering if I’ve got gas in the oil pan? I can’t smell too good since I had Covid, everything smells weird, but the wife thought it maybe smelled like gas.

View attachment 386186 View attachment 386187
Dam dude! GD chi coms and there virus!

Did u say you changed the plugs yet?

id change the oil if u haven't yet.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Is the machine actually burning oil? How do you know? How many pints or quarts per 1000 miles?

What color is the exhaust smoke? Black? Blue? Black smoke is caused by excessively rich fuel mixture. Blue smoke is burning oil.

Start by doing a proper engine oil and filter change with Honda specified oil not some magical snake oil, and a Honda oil filter. Record the odometer miles.

Then drive it normally for 100 miles, shut it off, let it cool, then check engine oil level. If down, how much? If it's not a significant loss continue driving to 200 miles or 500 miles. Determine exactly the amount of oil required to refill at a specific number of miles.

If, in fact, your engine is burning oil remove the spark plugs and perform a compression check. A compression check will determine if the engine or perhaps one or two cylinders have worn or damaged piston rings or valve guides.

That would be a fact that would determine if the machine will require an engine rebuild..

bigcountrywv87

bigcountrywv87

Jun 20, 2020
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is the machine actually burning oil? How do you know? How many pints or quarts per 1000 miles?

What color is the exhaust smoke? Black? Blue? Black smoke is caused by excessively rich fuel mixture. Blue smoke is burning oil.

Start by doing a proper engine oil and filter change with Honda specified oil not some magical snake oil, and a Honda oil filter. Record the odometer miles.

Then drive it normally for 100 miles, shut it off, let it cool, then check engine oil level. If down, how much? If it's not a significant loss continue driving to 200 miles or 500 miles. Determine exactly the amount of oil required to refill at a specific number of miles.

If, in fact, your engine is burning oil remove the spark plugs and perform a compression check. A compression check will determine if the engine or perhaps one or two cylinders have worn or damaged piston rings or valve guides.

That would be a fact that would determine if the machine will require an engine rebuild..
I did change the oil sometime in March. Noticed the oil was low after a few rides. I probably put 1.5-2 quarts in it.

The smoke looks more white…maybe blue to me ones it warms up. Doesn’t smoke at cold start, but has black moisture coming out the tailpipe. It’s black as if it’s oil but smells kinda rich, from what I can tell…then again my sense of smells isn’t great. I’ve got a video, but won’t let me post it.

I’ve got new filters, new plugs and injector wires are good. Installed 2 from the club store last year. The wife seems to think he oil in the pan smells a bit like gas.

What should the compression be on the cylinders? I’ll go buy a gauge and check it.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
It's very difficult to diagnose a problem via the internet but I think your problem is restricted air intake or excess fueling. In other words, an excessively rich fuel mixture. Symptoms are similar to the choke being stuck in the partially closed position on an old carbureted engine.

A wet black substance in the exhaust suggests rich fuel mixture not burning oil. But if an engine has been allowed to run rich for a long time piston rings may be worn because the rich fuel mixture continually washes the cylinder walls and dumps fuel in the oil pan to dilute the oil. Basically wrecks the engine.

Have you altered the engine air intake tract or has it been damaged in any way?

Even adding foam pre-filters alters the fuel mixture slightly because Honda engineers calculated fuel injector output based on standard air intake. Adding extra air filtration restricts air intake.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X

what he said - dump the oil

generally the smoking would be less once the engine warmed up if worn rings but who knows

2 quarts low - was it really filled - there is always more to the story :eek:

if that filter was sucked in it may have been a little rich

for compression - just compare cylinders for now

bigcountrywv87

bigcountrywv87

Jun 20, 2020
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's very difficult to diagnose a problem via the internet but I think your problem is restricted air intake or excess fueling. In other words, an excessively rich fuel mixture. Symptoms are similar to the choke being stuck in the partially closed position on an old carbureted engine.

A wet black substance in the exhaust suggests rich fuel mixture not burning oil. But if an engine has been allowed to run rich for a long time piston rings may be worn because the rich fuel mixture continually washes the cylinder walls and dumps fuel in the oil pan to dilute the oil. Basically wrecks the engine.

Have you altered the engine air intake tract or has it been damaged in any way?

Even adding foam pre-filters alters the fuel mixture slightly because Honda engineers calculated fuel injector output based on standard air intake. Adding extra air filtration restricts air intake.
Wonder if I have an injector stuck open or an ecu problem. I did switch from 87 octane to 89, but that shouldn’t matter, I have ran 89 a couple times before. I didn’t have the foam filter when the issue started I hade the factory pre filter stuffed inside this 90degree elbow. After a few rides it got sucked through the intake and was on the backside of the filter.

215AB805 CD8E 46EE BCC5 CD778B038FC9

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
The quality and accuracy of the information you're providing limits the quality of the advice you'll receive.

In my experience, the last detail the original poster ever reports is often a big mistake he doesn't want to acknowledge or admit such as submerging the machine in water and allowing the engine to ingest water or flood the electronics. Did anything major occur before all your problems started?

If you want to identify the problems you'll have to eliminate known factors, one by one.

Fuel octane means nothing. Forget that.

Don't confuse yourself guessing about an injector stuck open or an ecu issue.

Step 1: Restore the intake tract to original No half measures. Once you've done that we may be able to determine if the fuel injection system is okay.

"Easter egg hunting" - jumping from one issue to another is a waste of time and money.

bigcountrywv87

bigcountrywv87

Jun 20, 2020
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The quality and accuracy of the information you're providing limits the quality of the advice you'll receive.

In my experience, the last detail the original poster ever reports is often a big mistake he doesn't want to acknowledge or admit such as submerging the machine in water and allowing the engine to ingest water or flood the electronics. Did anything major occur before all your problems started?

If you want to identify the problems you'll have to eliminate known factors, one by one.

Fuel octane means nothing. Forget that.

Don't confuse yourself guessing about an injector stuck open or an ecu issue.

Step 1: Restore the intake tract to original No half measures. Once you've done that we may be able to determine if the fuel injection system is okay.

"Easter egg hunting" - jumping from one issue to another is a waste of time and money.
No, I live in West Virginia, not the Deep South. I don’t play in deep water or mud holes. Just normal trail riding.

Redone the intake, cleaned spark arrestor and changed oil. Problem still occurs

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!