Talon busbar or terminal block

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
I want to put a terminal block or busbar under the hood back inside the fire wall. On my 2016 RZR it came stock with a 3 port busbar/terminal. They wired a accessory hot to one of them, the other two were to be used for ground and a "hot" from the battery. I never did run a hot from the battery, but having easy access to the accessory hot to connect relays to was nice. I looked on ebay for one, but can't really find one I liked.

Today I installed my bumper, winch and LED lights. So I need to get the wiring side done next.

Helpful input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
Looking at that I'm not sure how it works?

The accessory power is turning the relay on I guess, but where is the main power coming from to the relay? Is the red wire from the fuse suppose to go to the battery and they just attached it to the block for picture?

You cant pull 35amps through a stock accessory fuse.

People are typically using the winch wires to power that XTC harness/bus bar. Or jumping from the winch controller to that harness for battery power. It's setup to accept the horn plug for key on trigger for the relay. I'm using it to power the fuse box on mine but I did not use the bus bar. Seems to work fine.

49201886666 b5eac2fcd7 b

H

HondaTech

People are typically using the winch wires to power that XTC harness/bus bar. Or jumping from the winch controller to that harness for battery power. It's setup to accept the horn plug for key on trigger for the relay. I'm using it to power the fuse box on mine but I did not use the bus bar. Seems to work fine.

View attachment 176154

So the red wire from the fuse is just bolted to the bus bar in the picture for looks then, that's what i was getting at.

It just looked confusing as to how they were controlling 35 amps through a 5 amp fuse.

I get it now.

Reactions: TerryH
B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
So the red wire from the fuse is just bolted to the bus bar in the picture for looks then, that's what i was getting at.

It just looked confusing as to how they were controlling 35 amps through a 5 amp fuse.

I get it now.

The bus bar is all individual connections. No conductivity between the terminals.

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thanks for the input.
The busbar in the XTC package is what I'm looking for. I'm not sure I need the whole wire set up they have unless I'm missing something. But I'm not a wiring expert. Why is their set up best? I do agree, the picture looks confusing with the one wire attached to the busbar when it supposed to be attached to the battery. Or is it?
I was just going to try to find one of those busbars with individual connections, and run an accessory wire to one, a ground to one, and a line from the battery to one. Then I have what I need to pretty much run anything.
But I'm open to suggestions. If that XTC package has a bunch of benfits, I'll go that route.
Thanks again for the input.

rbtnt

rbtnt

Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2015
Ownership

1. Talon X
I installed a Polaris 3 post terminal block for hot, switched and ground under the hood near the spot where the winch contactor mounts. I put a Blue Seas 6 position fuse/buss bar in the back, driver side, next to the air box. This made for more wiring to my switch panel, but the fuse/buss bar will be drier there than under the hood.

Here are the part numbers for the Polaris 3 post terminal block and nuts. You will need to order/acquire the 3 nuts separately.

Polaris 3 Post Terminal Block - 4015778
Polaris nuts for Terminal Block - 7547341(3 required and I think they are 10 32 and can be purchased anywhere if you don't have them).

https://www.amazon.com/Polaris-2016-17-Terminal-Block-4015778/dp/B06VSQFZ6H?tag=sxsweb24-20

Polaris 7547341 - NUT | Partzilla.com

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
I installed a Polaris 3 post terminal block for hot, switched and ground under the hood near the spot where the winch contactor mounts. I put a Blue Seas 6 position fuse/buss bar in the back, driver side, next to the air box. This made for more wiring to my switch panel, but the fuse/buss bar will be drier there than under the hood.

Here are the part numbers for the Polaris 3 post terminal block and nuts. You will need to order/acquire the 3 nuts separately.

Polaris 3 Post Terminal Block - 4015778
Polaris nuts for Terminal Block - 7547341(3 required and I think they are 10 32 and can be purchased anywhere if you don't have them).

https://www.amazon.com/Polaris-2016-17-Terminal-Block-4015778/dp/B06VSQFZ6H?tag=sxsweb24-20

Polaris 7547341 - NUT | Partzilla.com
Thanks!. I'll see input from the others on the XTC package. If its an easy way to do what I want to do, I'll probably just buy it. I'm not going to run a bunch of accessories. Winch, and LED lights in the front are the only two I can see adding. I had a 2010 RZR 800, and I did add that blue sea fuse block to it as the previous owner added a butt load of stuff to it. I thought the Blue Sea stuff was top quality.

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thanks for the input.
The busbar in the XTC package is what I'm looking for. I'm not sure I need the whole wire set up they have unless I'm missing something. But I'm not a wiring expert. Why is their set up best? I do agree, the picture looks confusing with the one wire attached to the busbar when it supposed to be attached to the battery. Or is it?
I was just going to try to find one of those busbars with individual connections, and run an accessory wire to one, a ground to one, and a line from the battery to one. Then I have what I need to pretty much run anything.
But I'm open to suggestions. If that XTC package has a bunch of benfits, I'll go that route.
Thanks again for the input.

The bus bar on the XTC harness is designed to work just like they have it pictured.

49375018021 9cc4e2423a o

Battery power connected to the red wire I've circled red. Accessory power out from the relay connected to the wire I've circled in yellow. The other lugs can serve whatever purpose you desire. The lugs are not connected to each other.

The plug that I've circled in blue is where you connect the blue plug that Honda left blank on the lower section of the steering column under the cowl. That blue plug will be your key on trigger.

The XTC harness is just a simple, plug and play way to get 35 amps of key on power. I used it on mine but did not use the bus bar for my application. I wired the accessory directly out to my fuse box. I used the winch wires connected to distribution posts to power the battery side of the XTC harness as well as my winch controller etc...

You can see how I used the XTC harness with the distribution posts and fuse box in this pic.

49131207393 2b56e6118a b

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
The bus bar on the XTC harness is designed to work just like they have it pictured.

View attachment 176269

Battery power connected to the red wire I've circled red. Accessory power out from the relay connected to the wire I've circled in yellow. The other lugs can serve whatever purpose you desire. The lugs are not connected to each other.

The plug that I've circled in blue is where you connect the blue plug that Honda left blank on the lower section of the steering column under the cowl. That blue plug will be your key on trigger.

The XTC harness is just a simple, plug and play way to get 35 amps of key on power. I used it on mine but did not use the bus bar for my application. I wired the accessory directly out to my fuse box. I used the winch wires connected to distribution posts to power the battery side of the XTC harness as well as my winch controller etc...

You can see how I used the XTC harness with the distribution posts and fuse box in this pic.

View attachment 176270
Terry, you should get a commission from XTC! I get what your saying now, and once I looked at your picture it made sense. What is not in the XTC picture is a wire from the battery to their 3 post bar where the Red wire from their harness connects. Looking at your picture I see where you have a red and black post with wires coming from the battery. You also have a fuse block in there. Thus you didn't need their 3 post terminal. Thanks again. You have been a wealth of info on the Talon. I almost have it ready for the trail. I'll get some dates together with a buddy of mine and we'll make the trip to Arkansas and hopefully meet up with you.

Reactions: TerryH
TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
Terry, you should get a commission from XTC! I get what your saying now, and once I looked at your picture it made sense. What is not in the XTC picture is a wire from the battery to their 3 post bar where the Red wire from their harness connects. Looking at your picture I see where you have a red and black post with wires coming from the battery. You also have a fuse block in there. Thus you didn't need their 3 post terminal. Thanks again. You have been a wealth of info on the Talon. I almost have it ready for the trail. I'll get some dates together with a buddy of mine and we'll make the trip to Arkansas and hopefully meet up with you.

Awesome! Would be great to get together with you guys!

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
I added the XTC harness today. Super easy. Took about as long to remove the top cowling off the Talon as it did to install the harness. I didn't realize Honda had already ran a hot and neg from the battery to the front of the machine. That was a great move by Honda to save most of us a lot of time. I was skeptical that those self tapping screws would go in easily, but they did.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!