GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok..So I'm in the market for a new MIG welder. Got a few projects I wanna tackle and a few some other people want done. I've narrowed the field down to two and just wanted some input. I know we have some welders and fabricators here. So any thoughts or suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Here's the two looking at: I like that they both are dual use for 110v and 220v

Hobart 500553 Handler 210 MVP For Use with SpoolRunner 100 - Arc Welding Equipment - Amazon.com

Millermatic 211 MIG Welder With Advanced Auto-Set And Cart 951603 - - Amazon.com

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok..So I'm in the market for a new MIG welder. Got a few projects I wanna tackle and a few some other people want done. I've narrowed the field down to two and just wanted some input. I know we have some welders and fabricators here. So any thoughts or suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Here's the two looking at: I like that they both are dual use for 110v and 220v

Hobart 500553 Handler 210 MVP For Use with SpoolRunner 100 - Arc Welding Equipment - Amazon.com

Millermatic 211 MIG Welder With Advanced Auto-Set And Cart 951603 - - Amazon.com
can't help but notice the price difference... all things equal, I'd go with the cheaper one...

J

JTW

For Christmas I got the Hobart 210mvp and I bought the spool gun for aluminum... I haven't used it yet. But it looks nice. Should do all I'll ever need and more.

IMG 1727

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My boss bought the Miller 211 for home and seems to enjoy it. The auto set feature is pretty nice. Miller in my opinion is top quality above the Hobart but top price too. We picked up a miller multimatic 200 that does everything but tig aluminum for the shop and it has been very handy. It only weighs about 25 lbs so with a generator it's nice and portable. Whatever you get enjoy making your new projects.

Reactions: GlockMeister
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got a 211. Wish I'd known you was in the market I would've let you try her out. I absolutely love it. Lays the prettiest beads. I've blown through 3/8" stock like butter, so it's plenty strong. I also have the spool gun. It does surprisingly well on aluminum. I know it's quite a drive, but you're more than welcome to come play with it all you want. Money very well spent.

Reactions: GlockMeister
J

JTW

One of the reasons I went with the Hobart when researching was the avalibility of parts close by. I'm not aware of any Miller dealers close. I basically got the impression it was a very similar machine to the equivalent Miller 211. They're both owned by the same parent company and I read nothing but good reviews of the Hobart and Miller. In the class machine we're in.. it's a Chevy vs Ford thing.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Personally I've found the autoset is a little stingy with the wire but just my opinion.

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got a 211. Wish I'd known you was in the market I would've let you try her out. I absolutely love it. Lays the prettiest beads. I've blown through 3/8" stock like butter, so it's plenty strong. I also have the spool gun. It does surprisingly well on aluminum. I know it's quite a drive, but you're more than welcome to come play with it all you want. Money very well spent.
I knew you liked yours. I found a lightly used 211 full setup,cart,bottle,and spool gun for 1000 on c-list.
One of the reasons I went with the Hobart when researching was the avalibility of parts close by. I'm not aware of any Miller dealers close. I basically got the impression it was a very similar machine to the equivalent Miller 211. They're both owned by the same parent company and I read nothing but good reviews of the Hobart and Miller. In the class machine we're in.. it's a Chevy vs Ford thing.
I have a miller dealer about 45 min away. Have done some research on both and they seem to be close in comparison. Either should do what I need.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've never heard anything bad about Hobart. My old company did business with local welding supply company that gave me a great deal on my 211. It was still more than the Hobart lol. I'm the last person to preach about only buying name brand equipment. Friday I'm ordering an Eastwood tig and plasma cutter lol.

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've never heard anything bad about Hobart. My old company did business with local welding supply company that gave me a great deal on my 211. It was still more than the Hobart lol. I'm the last person to preach about only buying name brand equipment. Friday I'm ordering an Eastwood tig and plasma cutter lol.
They just opened a harbor freight store 30min south of me the other day. Finally got to go in it. Pretty awesome store. I know you like your harbor freight stuff.

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

I knew you liked yours. I found a lightly used 211 full setup,cart,bottle,and spool gun for 1000 on c-list.

I have a miller dealer about 45 min away. Have done some research on both and they seem to be close in comparison. Either should do what I need.
That's basically where I was.. 20 miles away for Hobart and probably 45 or more for the Miller. It very well may be a better machine but it would make zero difference to me and my projects.

J

JTW

Plasma cutter is next on my list!

J

JTW

That's basically where I was.. 20 miles away for Hobart and probably 45 or more for the Miller. It very well may be a better machine but it would make zero difference to me and my projects.
Just be careful about what you buy there.. some stuff is fine others are junk. I've had one of their hole saw blades rip apart cutting thin aluminum and then have other tools last with vigorous abuse.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just be careful about what you buy there.. some stuff is fine others are junk. I've had one of their hole saw blades rip apart cutting thin aluminum and then have other tools last with vigorous abuse.
That's the truth. Gotta say the vast majority has been good stuff. My Chicago Electric 1/2" impact is 7 or 8 years old. And their sawzall is good quality too. It ripped right through that S10 bumper and that's no easy task. They had them on sale for 19.99.

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If it's something I know will be used quite often I usually by quality. But that doesn't always mean it's better

Reactions: Delton
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

1000 bucks is a good deal for all that. I didn't like any carts that I seen so I did what I always do....Make my own lol. DOT date has expired on my big bottle so I'm using my smaller one.
IMG 20170103 213807344 1336x752

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I thought it was a decent price. I'll have to try it in person though.Is that a new pipe bender I see? @Delton

Reactions: JTW and Delton
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If it's something I know will be used quite often I usually by quality. But that doesn't always mean it's better
I used Joey's Eastwood couple weeks ago. Couldn't tell any difference between it and the 3K dollar Millers we have at work. Plus they have a 3yr warranty compared to 1 yr for the Miller.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!