100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So my curiosity is peaked about the Talon as long as I fit in one, but my more utility mindedness is still leaning towards a 1000-5. Obviously we're looking at apples and oranges now that Honda has an actual sports model available. I'm thinking that from what I've seen of people posting that we will more than likely see a flood of Pioneers inundating the market so everyone can buy the new Bling Machine. I am also wondering about all the new upgrades on the 2019 1000's vs buying a slightly used, or last years model. Will this years upgrades be worth spending the extra $$$, vs a model without all the new modifications? Trying to be patiently waiting to see what becomes available...
At least with safes, the general rule it seems is go big and don't look back. I wonder if the same applies to SXS's?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
For you 100% a Pioneer 1000. You bring a ton of stuff and go for long periods of time. You also want a rig for end times. Consider used so you could get one with all the goods for same money. @Tigermark has something to look at. Would consider a 700-4 too.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@100Acre , I too would agree a Pioneer 1000 would likely serve you better on several fronts. The P1K is a very capable and versatile machine, I want a Talon for trails due to its longer wheelbase, seating style, and suspension. That being said if I had to choose between my P1K and getting a Talon, the Pioneer would be my choice hands down. There have been several of us get through some very nasty terrain with astonishing ease in the P1K. I ride with several locals all driving RZR 1000 variants and they all couldn't believe the first few rides how that "utility machine" could keep up with them with half the suspension and HP. In the woods, mountains, and trails the P1K can hang with the best if them.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It seems like a 1000 is more of your style. of course it's your choice. Personally I don't think Bayleaf will be very comfortable laying in a bucket seat with a console in the middle. lol

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
So my curiosity is peaked about the Talon as long as I fit in one, but my more utility mindedness is still leaning towards a 1000-5. Obviously we're looking at apples and oranges now that Honda has an actual sports model available. I'm thinking that from what I've seen of people posting that we will more than likely see a flood of Pioneers inundating the market so everyone can buy the new Bling Machine. I am also wondering about all the new upgrades on the 2019 1000's vs buying a slightly used, or last years model. Will this years upgrades be worth spending the extra $$$, vs a model without all the new modifications? Trying to be patiently waiting to see what becomes available...
At least with safes, the general rule it seems is go big and don't look back. I wonder if the same applies to SXS's?
Don't give me flak for saying it (i gots one of the things, after all), but coming from the 500, the P1000 will probably feel like a Talon or some sort of space craft.
Personally, i loved having that big old bed back there. A i don't ride at a speed that justifies a pure sport machine. This would be an easy one for me...

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don't give me flak for saying it (i gots one of the things, after all), but coming from the 500, the P1000 will probably feel like a Talon or some sort of space craft.
Personally, i loved having that big old bed back there. A i don't ride at a speed that justifies a pure sport machine. This would be an easy one for me...

It’s not the speed I want, I want the power to be able to reach the speed so it’s easier to cross through rutted rock strewn terrain. I want the travel for the same reason.

I really like the bed design the more I look at it and measure what can fit in it, according to the dimensions we have.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
It’s not the speed I want, I want the power to be able to reach the speed so it’s easier to cross through rutted rock strewn terrain. I want the travel for the same reason.

I really like the bed design the more I look at it and measure what can fit in it, according to the dimensions we have.
I agree. Honestly that box size with the depth isn’t bad. Especially with the ROPS to help hold stuff in. With an added tailgate setup from aftermarket I think it would be great for a sport, biggest true sport I see.
The new Yzx is horrible with rear mounted radiators, I’d have to do previous gen because of that. Even true sport model you need to carry enough for the day.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree. Honestly that box size with the depth isn’t bad. Especially with the ROPS to help hold stuff in. With an added tailgate setup from aftermarket I think it would be great for a sport, biggest true sport I see.
The new Yzx is horrible with rear mounted radiators, I’d have to do previous gen because of that. Even true sport model you need to carry enough for the day.

with the open rear, I have a design in my head for a bed storage that I have been thinking out for the pioneer, that could be modified to fit the Talon, and if its the size it is claimed to be SHOULD be PERFECT for 2 people to camp for a couple days.

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Probably 2nd biggest... i think the XX has most everything beat... maybe even our Pioneer haha

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2

I do like the bed size. Too bad they left off a hitch.

Reactions: Mudwing
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Your decision should be the Talon because of your co-pilot;) I absolutely love the 1000-5 but... the seat heat on the passenger side may be a problem!
Also, that grab handle location could accommodate anything your imagination would allow using a 1” Tube! performance wise... I expect better low end torque for the slow technical stuff and better performance on the trails! Storage area should carry at least what you are accustomed to bringing along your adventures!
I believe that although the P1K is a bullet proof machine, the Talon will be even more bulletproof, more dependable, and more capable. Now let’s talk about comfort... the talon suspension and seats are superior and would be a cooler, more comfortable and would lead to a more overall enjoyable ride! A test ride of each will help you with your decision!
Now with that said would I trade the BEAST...Absolutely Not! Do I want a Talon...Absolutely!

Tuco69

Tuco69

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2017
Middle Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Those considering letting their 1000 go for a Talon might want to consider selling some of their accessories they have installed. Doesn’t return dollar for dollar on outright sells and very little with trade ins at times. Seller might recoup more and buyers on the forum might pick up a deal.

Reactions: sharp
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I would sum up all the things you have done for the past couple years and likely to do next year as well as beyond then determine what percentage of that would merit a P1000 vs. a Talon. Even though I want a Talon, nearly 99% of my use is amount the property, hunting, etc., and if I get one it will be a sumptuous toy...

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You’d be foolish to buy a talon vs a pioneer 1000 for your use.
I love ya @100Acre and know ya pretty well. Get the Pioneer. You’ve been having issues with leg room,being tippy,trying to find a way to pack things tighter, wanting something that rides smoother, wanting something that will carry more, wanting something for some property. Man everything points to a p1000 or p700. Personally for the end times you talk I’d go 700. You’d prefer the 1000 knowing you. Either way I’d consider full top so you’re things are covered, not big deal though because they are more money. A sport machine for you is foolish imo unless you plan on just riding here or there and not moving forward with your plan.

Last edited:
slingshot48

slingshot48

Go Gators!!
Lifetime Member
Jul 22, 2018
East TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hondasxs.com members get special pricing on the Talon or Pioneer 1k??? I would think....duhhh!!

Reactions: Cwilds and Eltobgi
I

Ice

Oct 7, 2017
wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@100Acre , I too would agree a Pioneer 1000 would likely serve you better on several fronts. The P1K is a very capable and versatile machine, I want a Talon for trails due to its longer wheelbase, seating style, and suspension. That being said if I had to choose between my P1K and getting a Talon, the Pioneer would be my choice hands down. There have been several of us get through some very nasty terrain with astonishing ease in the P1K. I ride with several locals all driving RZR 1000 variants and they all couldn't believe the first few rides how that "utility machine" could keep up with them with half the suspension and HP. In the woods, mountains, and trails the P1K can hang with the best if them.
I totally agree with you, I have a p5-1000 and have no problem keeping up with the (big dogs) on tight windy trails and the maneuverability is awesome on the pioneer especially the turning radius and the ease of moving forward and reverse like plowing snow. This has been the best snow plowing rig I have ever owned. Whats crazy is i ice race my pioneer here in Wisconsin at the local ice racing group witch we have a UTV class and the pioneer kicks there a$$. And I know why. It has a outstanding transmission that you can get what little horsepower we have to the ground and the shorter wheel base the the machine rotates better through the turns. I never expected that it would work so well for being a work horse they all say look at the old guy with the Honda. I am 56 but have quit a bit racing under my belt. So now this year I am going top try the studded class and i know i am out gunned on horsepower but we will see if the handling can over come them. So I am in for a talon but don't like the long wheel base issue and can I put my snow plow on and push snow with maneuverability and No I cant afford 2 machines.

N8theGR8

N8theGR8

Oct 3, 2019
Central Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Do Talons have high-elevation issues with maintaining low end and torque? I have a Pioneer 700-4 but want to get into crawling/climbing sometime in the future and would need that suspension travel? Thanks!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!