P500 Buying a used Pioneer ?

B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Okay I have located a few used Pioneer 500 Machines that are out of warranty.
A few 2019 and and 2020 machines that I could get for anywhere from a $1000 to $1500 less than a Brand new 2021 Which I can have in about 2 and a half months.

The Best I have seen in appearance anyway is a 2020 year model with less than 200 hours showing on it that I can get for about $8,000 that the warranty ran out in about April or May.
or wait for a couple of months or so and get a New 2021 with no Miles and Factory 1 year warranty with a total out the door price of $9000 out the door.

Worth it to wait 2 months or so to get the 2021 with warranty for about $9,000 out the door price plus about $400 extra for the plastic top which I want. So about $9,400 total for it ?

Or Get the 2020 with about 200 Hours on it, no warranty and a Honda Plastic top already on it for a total of $8,000 and not worry about the warranty ?

If I decided on buying the used machine is there anything 1 or 2 things in Particular that I need to check for other than an Oil leak or smoke before I buy ?

I am not a mechanic

Would appreciate Input on this
Thanks

Can a warranty be bought for a 2020 Pioneer 500 that has an expired warranty ?

Reactions: 500oneer and TxDoc
wvupsc

wvupsc

Feb 1, 2021
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
Not sure how much you can hurt a P500 in 200 hours of normal use. Unless there is visible damage, like from abuse or a wreck, I would not worry about the warranty. Obvious stuff like smoke or oil leak should be checked.

Last edited:
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
Up to you if its worth $1400 for a warranty. I have owned several Honda's and have never had a warranty claim so no warranty would not bother me. Just look for oil leaks, smoke and give it a good look over. Will be obvious if its been abused. Skid plates tore up, plastics in bad shape, signs of repairs to frame

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
My 2017 has only has one problem, a bad voltage regulator, $100. Thinking due to idling in upper 90 degrees while doing chores as it is located behind the battery box near the exhaust. If a machine has 200 miles, its like new from a mechanical standpoint. If any electrical assessories have been added by the owner, check the quality of the wiring. I have never got an extended warranty on 5 honda power-sport machines,

B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Why are they selling it?

Fo you believe them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes I asked him that and he said that the guy he bought it from said that he just didn't use it as much as he thought he would and the second owner said the same thing.
The second owner also had bought a Kubota Diesel 900

I do know that some people either love the Kubota Diesel or hate it as it has a Hydrostacic set up and Maybe he is just in the camp of liking the Hydrostatic trans and clutch.
The reason I know this is I have a Cousin that has Had a Kubota dealership for an eternity.
He said that he has had people drive 4 or five hours Just to buy the Diesel and others that would not take one if you give it to them !

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
As mentioned, the hours/miles mentioned are really no issue on a Honda. I would, however, be sensitive to overall condition of the machine and modifications. Personally, I would not buy something highly modified with the intent of going deep in water, i.e., tall wheels/tires/snorkel, but that is me. Ideally, I like to find something bone stock and perhaps some OEM Honda accessories added and can tell from the plastics, etc., it has lived a good life, but that is me.

Bisley

Bisley

Apr 14, 2021
West Covina, CA
Ownership

1. 500
As mentioned, the hours/miles mentioned are really no issue on a Honda. I would, however, be sensitive to overall condition of the machine and modifications. Personally, I would not buy something highly modified with the intent of going deep in water, i.e., tall wheels/tires/snorkel, but that is me. Ideally, I like to find something bone stock and perhaps some OEM Honda accessories added and can tell from the plastics, etc., it has lived a good life, but that is me.

That's how I feel also about ALL vehicles.

B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Machine looked as new and completely stock but I drug my feet to long and it is no longer available.Ah well they make more !
No I don't want something highly modified either.
even in a flooded ricefield a snorkel is not needed, and knowing how to drive makes a big difference.
I do like tall tires to cut through the crap and get traction with the harder base below.
But I do not want any rubbing of the tires.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A few 2019 and and 2020 machines that I could get for anywhere from a $1000 to $1500 less than a Brand new 2021 Which I can have in about 2 and a half months.

The Best I have seen in appearance anyway is a 2020 year model with less than 200 hours showing on it that I can get for about $8,000 that the warranty ran out in about April or May.
or wait for a couple of months or so and get a New 2021 with no Miles and Factory 1 year warranty with a total out the door price of $9000 out the door.

Worth it to wait 2 months or so to get the 2021 with warranty for about $9,000 out the door price plus about $400 extra for the plastic top which I want. So about $9,400 total for it ?

Or Get the 2020 with about 200 Hours on it, no warranty and a Honda Plastic top already on it for a total of $8,000 and not worry about the warranty ?

If I decided on buying the used machine is there anything 1 or 2 things in Particular that I need to check for other than an Oil leak or smoke before I buy ?

I am not a mechanic

Thanks

When you refer to the '21 model OTD price of $9K, I assume that was NOT including tax. If you are buying used from an individual, you can also save the cost of tax.

B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
When you refer to the '21 model OTD price of $9K, I assume that was NOT including tax. If you are buying used from an individual, you can also save the cost of tax.
Bought and used as farm equipment has tax Exemption in Arkansas.
Most states do to varying degrees.

Reactions: 500oneer and BigOL3
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own

I am not a mechanic

Thanks

In my view, the key to get this done is have the metrics outlined you want in a machine and cash on-hand to make it happen, because in these times inventory is a challenge, so things move rather quickly or the alternative is just wait until the supply/demand swings back the other direction.

Tom_C

Tom_C

Jul 17, 2021
Virginia, USA
Ownership

1. 500
I was trying to find a new 520 and there was nothing around in a several hundred mile radius. One dealer did give me a price on one they thought they had coming (turned into vapor later) and there was no discount to MSRP, just a little discount on labor for some add-ons I wanted. I said they needed to throw me a bone a little on the price and he said the bone will be you actually getting it. So yeah, where I am there will not be any discounts in the foreseeable future.

Reactions: Remington
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I'm all for getting a deal, but I doubt many dealers will cut the price on a new Pioneer when stock is so limited. If you can find one right now, why would a dealer sell it for under MSRP when the next guy will gladly pay it just to have one?

I had to pay MSRP on my P520, I didn't love it but it was the only way I was going to get one. At least I didn't have to pay over MSRP...

Rob

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'm all for getting a deal, but I doubt many dealers will cut the price on a new Pioneer when stock is so limited. If you can find one right now, why would a dealer sell it for under MSRP when the next guy will gladly pay it just to have one?

I had to pay MSRP on my P520, I didn't love it but it was the only way I was going to get one. At least I didn't have to pay over MSRP...

Rob
Yep, faced that myself last summer when boat shopping. Decided to save 4 K and order one for dilivery April first this year. But it’s a sales market right now for sure….🙄

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
There were a couple P500's on Facebook Marketplace in the Eastern KY, and WV area. A couple were good deals as well.

Reactions: trigger and Bigtee
Tom_C

Tom_C

Jul 17, 2021
Virginia, USA
Ownership

1. 500
There were a couple P500's on Facebook Marketplace in the Eastern KY, and WV area. A couple were good deals as well.

I might have bought the one in WV. I don't really use facebook, but I was google-ing for SxSs for sale in my area and link to facebook popped up. I basically stumbled onto to it by chance. The machine I bought had been for sale for weeks. If he had listed it on craigslist it would have been sold in a week, probably for more money... but then you have to deal with craigslist.

Bisley

Bisley

Apr 14, 2021
West Covina, CA
Ownership

1. 500

Rob

Felt the exact same in April when I got my P520. I can't blame them. Kind of like all the folks thinking now is the time they need a firearm, but cry about the prices. You have only two choices, pay it or wait.

Hell, my monthly payments used to be a weekend at the bar (or maybe one really, really good night 😇). I think they refer to it as "first world problems"?

wvupsc

wvupsc

Feb 1, 2021
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
I feel bad for the sales staff who work on commission. They hardly have any product to sell.

I had to pay MSRP for my P520 back in April. Got a discount on accessories and free installation.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!