Multi Cab heating ideas

R

Ray

Sep 6, 2015
Hi Guys
I am trying to come up with a way to make a heated seat or way to warm up the cab further.
As part of my job, I have to visit hilltop radio transmitter sites and so I have a Pioneer 500 with a full cab kit - but its often in very strong southerly winds where it might be 9 degrees c in the cab and only 3 degrees outside - almost snowing.

I can handle a cold day, but its the wind chill that makes it really hard.

I got the Aqua-Hot cab heater which works really well going up hill, but after about 15 minutes of the engine idling, its not able to generate enough heat to run the heater very well. So I have found my tool bag can rest on the pedal to rev the engine just enough to make some heat, but its quite loud in the cab.

But then i thought - the seat in the cab is something like 5cm thick - wouldnt it be awesome if it had a tank of water or some other material inside the seat that I could pre-heat using the car trailer lighting supply on the hour drive to the base of the hill, then it would be able to warm the seat without putting too much demand on the alternator.

I am also thinking my portable generator that I use when visiting these sites - It produces 1500 watts, and runs a 750 watt battery charger, leaving about 750 watts of spare mains power - I could use a small fan heater, but the only ones I can find that use 230V are 1100 watts on low.

I am going to try and make a cab cover to stop the wind getting in through the gaps which i think will help, but I am keen to know if you guys have any other ideas on how I could heat the cab.

If i can get the cab up to 15 degrees for 4 hours, I'd be really happy.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I think I would look at a propane camping heater.
Not sure what is avalible in you area.
I have a 'Mr heater` that has a CO detector and tip over shut off.
This would be simple and cheap.

Some guys on here where looking at a boat/RV heater that uses dieselene.
But this seemed like more work and expense than was justified.

Reactions: ohanacreek
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I picked up a golf cart heater on clearance the other day (it was 93* so I guess they were making room for coolers)

I’m gonna try it this winter.

R

Ray

Sep 6, 2015
Wow that golf cart heater looks awesome... assuming its the kind that fits into a cup holder.
I dont have any cup holders in the honda (somewhat still disappointed about that as its a constant problem for me) so im going to have a think about how I can mount one of those.

The other problem is powering it. they say it uses a 1lb LP cylinder - i know we can get butane about the size of a can of fly spray, but i am not sure if LP is the same as LPG in NZ which is interchangeable with Propane in the USA

R

Ray

Sep 6, 2015
Oh wait it says 1 pound propane tank is not included.... well thats kinda helpful.
The smallest LPG cylinder I have seen here is a 9kg / 20 pounds

R

Ray

Sep 6, 2015
I found a cheap solution with the generator - I found a 1500 watt ceramic space heater at the local big box store for $20
A Kill A Watt says it uses 750 watts on the low setting which is perfect for heating the cab
I have to turn it off after a few minutes because the cab gets too hot so will see what its like on the next cold day.

Will keep an eye out for something that can run on propane / LPG as thats easier than setting up the generator and extension cable but i dont think we can get the small tanks required for the golf cart heater here.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
My wife has a heated blanket that plugs into the cigarette lighter in the truck. Something like that could give you sort of a makeshift heated seat. We got ours at Cabelas and surely you can find them on amazon

Reactions: chavezr6

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!