BOX1

P1000 California Vapor Recovery

Q

Quailguy

Dec 17, 2018
Ca
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm a new owner of a 2018, 3 seater and doing little mods until I see what all I really want/need to do to my new toy. I ordered, and received, the vent extension kit from Ross. When looking to extend the line from my fuel tank, I learned the fuel line on California machines leads to a required fuel vapor recovery system. This does not allow the line to be extended. My question is, by not extending this line, am I susceptible to water getting in my fuel? Not being mechanically inclined, this looks like a closed system from the outside. Has anyone out here on the Left Coast dealt with this issue and are there any remedies?

Thanks in advance
Quailguy

P.S. You guys are better than YouTube!

Reactions: sharp
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm a new owner of a 2018, 3 seater and doing little mods until I see what all I really want/need to do to my new toy. I ordered, and received, the vent extension kit from Ross. When looking to extend the line from my fuel tank, I learned the fuel line on California machines leads to a required fuel vapor recovery system. This does not allow the line to be extended. My question is, by not extending this line, am I susceptible to water getting in my fuel? Not being mechanically inclined, this looks like a closed system from the outside. Has anyone out here on the Left Coast dealt with this issue and are there any remedies?

Thanks in advance
Quailguy

P.S. You guys are better than YouTube!

All I would do in your case would be add some constant tension or worm clamps at each end of the vent, if they aren't presently there.

Q

Quailguy

Dec 17, 2018
Ca
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Both ends have a factory clip attached. I guess I'll assume that since it is a vapor recovery system, it's designed to keep vapors in and hopefully water out.

Thank you again
Quailguy

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am not well versed in the intricacies of the CA models. So please do not put 100% faith in my thoughts.
I based my comment on the knowledge of automotive systems and their designs.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Both ends have a factory clip attached. I guess I'll assume that since it is a vapor recovery system, it's designed to keep vapors in and hopefully water out.

Thank you again
Quailguy
What did you determine on it? Is it a closed system ? It has to let the fuel tank breath some how?

zfisher

zfisher

Jul 22, 2020
Marion Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Would like to know the results from this too. I have recently discovered that I have this stupid vapor recovery system. Didn't know if there was any way to extend the lines

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have spoke to a customer if mine with CA model. He simply plugged the fuel vent line going to the fuel vapor system from the fuel tankwitb a bolt and tiewrap and them vented the fuel tank
Normally no issues.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The vapor line goes to the charcoal canister, above idle a port in the throttle body will pull the vapor out of the canister. If the canister gets saturated the gas will drip out on the ground. For a deep water snorkel you can plug the hose going to the throttle body and run the tank hose up high.

zfisher

zfisher

Jul 22, 2020
Marion Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The vapor line goes to the charcoal canister, above idle a port in the throttle body will pull the vapor out of the canister. If the canister gets saturated the gas will drip out on the ground. For a deep water snorkel you can plug the hose going to the throttle body and run the tank hose up high.
So what your saying is that I can't just simply do what was said in the post above. I called the dealership I got it at and he was trying to say that I don't even need to extend that version. Trying to tell me that it's already up higher with that california bs.... thanks for the help

03mossy

03mossy

Jun 20, 2018
MN
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand
Would like to know the results from this too. I have recently discovered that I have this stupid vapor recovery system. Didn't know if there was any way to extend the lines

Same here. Being as I bought mine in northern Minnesota I was a bit surprised knowing I have a CA model. I had no idea until trying to run the gas vent line. I gave up for now and that project is on the back burner.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bob if they plug the vent going into the vapor canister from the fuel tank. Then it still should be water tight ? Or have to plug the line going to the throttle body as well?

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
To disable the the canister you need to plug the hose or port on the throttle body. The tank vent can be run up high. The Talon turbo guys like the California model because they use the port on the throttle body and don't have to drill one.

zfisher

zfisher

Jul 22, 2020
Marion Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
To disable the the canister you need to plug the hose or port on the throttle body. The tank vent can be run up high. The Talon turbo guys like the California model because they use the port on the throttle body and don't have to drill one.
[/QUOT
so after I plug the hose for the throttle body do I need to plug up the end of the canister that it was hooked up to? I`m assuming i don`t want to leave anything open it has to have some sort of plug to keep water out. Correct me if i am wrong, I`m essentially plugging the input side of canister ( fuel tank line) and the output ( throttle body side) then run a new vent line from the tank as if I don`t even have a California model. I can tell these models are not very common since I have not been able to find a single video or drawling on running the vents for this. I really appreciate everyone's help. It is crazy this should be simple task and it is killing me...hahaha

zfisher

zfisher

Jul 22, 2020
Marion Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
[so after I plug the hose for the throttle body do I need to plug up the end of the canister that it was hooked up to? I`m assuming i don`t want to leave anything open it has to have some sort of plug to keep water out. Correct me if i am wrong, I`m essentially plugging the input side of canister ( fuel tank line) and the output ( throttle body side) then run a new vent line from the tank as if I don`t even have a California model. I can tell these models are not very common since I have not been able to find a single video or drawling on running the vents for this. I really appreciate everyone's help. It is crazy this should be simple task and it is killing me...hahaha

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
It wouldn't hurt to just remove the canister to avoid getting water in it. I expect you will never use it. With the throttle body port plugged and a new hose for the tank vent it will be the same as a 49 state model.

Reactions: TripleB