highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Updated the official Kisatchie NF map with bridge locations and widths.

The trail is still officially a 50" but many people besides myself ride wider machines in all the Kisatchie trails. Camp Claiborne is the exception with access gates through parking area confinement fences. Rangers here are 100% jerks so if they catch anyone over width, on the road, no spark arrestor, numerous etc., they will provide you with a violation receipt. I've never met a friendly one since 1996!

Livingston is very tight for 64" machines and you can't cross any of the 5 bridges. This is not my favorite place to ride but it was the only trail open last weekend and only about 1.5 hours from home.

If you want to ride SxS in Louisiana, Sandstone is the best trail, Enduro second, Livingston third, Claiborne last.
Sandstone is open May through December. Other trails are open year round, except for weather closures.

Livingston map rev1

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I wish they'd just widen these! Only place to ride that's not 90% mud holes.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Updated the official Kisatchie NF map with bridge locations and widths.

The trail is still officially a 50" but many people besides myself ride wider machines in all the Kisatchie trails. Camp Claiborne is the exception with access gates through parking area confinement fences. Rangers here are 100% jerks so if they catch anyone over width, on the road, no spark arrestor, numerous etc., they will provide you with a violation receipt. I've never met a friendly one since 1996!

Livingston is very tight for 64" machines and you can't cross any of the 5 bridges. This is not my favorite place to ride but it was the only trail open last weekend and only about 1.5 hours from home.

If you want to ride SxS in Louisiana, Sandstone is the best trail, Enduro second, Livingston third, Claiborne last.
Sandstone is open May through December. Other trails are open year round, except for weather closures.

View attachment 183162
Have you ever seen a ranger out on the trails? I've never seen one any where other than the Claiborne trailhead and the bigger camping site connected to Sandstone. Thanks for posting the measurements

K9Paco

K9Paco

Lifetime Member
Apr 22, 2018
Lake Charles, La
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
Where is the Sandstone that you speak of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Between Leesville and Nichitoches. It's great riding!
Sandstone Map
I'll update this map with bridge locations soon. At Sandstone a 62" wide machine will fit on every bridge. All the bridges were widened a few years ago for an unknown reason while they still enforce 50" width. Crazy! But the logging companies are able to bulldoze roads for log trucks to reach deep into the forest!

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Have you ever seen a ranger out on the trails? I've never seen one any where other than the Claiborne trailhead and the bigger camping site connected to Sandstone. Thanks for posting the measurements

Memorial Day weekend of 2019 we met a ranger near the Corral Camp location. Rangers had the south loop and Lotus camp parking area closed so everyone had to park at Corral Camp. We arrived there with 10 trucks and trailers and it was packed so 3 of us had to park on the road just outside the camp area. We unloaded, made one loop then back for lunch. As we were beginning our after lunch ride, a ranger pulls up, jumps out of his truck and says we are all in violation! We can't be on the road. After several minutes of discussion, he finally allowed us to move into newly vacated space in the camp area, but we couldn't start our UTVs! We had to PUSH them onto the trailers!! Or 50 feet to the trail road crossing!! We pushed 3 RZRs uphill to the trail crossing and loaded another 2. Retarded!!!!! But he didn't give us tickets or check width. I think the only reason there was space in the camp area on Saturday of a 3 day weekend is because the rangers had be trolling and writing tickets that morning while they had everyone cornered to the north trail loop and 1 parking area.

Another time we were riding at Enduro on the trail along Lookout Road to the north. Two rangers came running through the woods flagging us down. They only asked to see our green tags that you are supposed to keep on you while riding. Well, my buddy did not have his on him but they were on his dash board in truck. One older ranger whipped out his receipt book while the younger one gently discouraged him from doing that. He sent us on our way but reminded us to carry our green tags with us next time. So, I guess the younger ranger was the nicest we've ever met here.

Claiborne is terrible for rangers in the parking area. They check tire lugs and spark arrestors constantly. When they drive up everyone hits the woods!!

K9Paco

K9Paco

Lifetime Member
Apr 22, 2018
Lake Charles, La
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
This doesn’t look like it’s worth the trip from Lake Charles.

K9Paco

K9Paco

Lifetime Member
Apr 22, 2018
Lake Charles, La
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
This doesn’t look like it’s worth the trip from Lake Charles.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Livingston not so much worth the trip but Sandstone is. Just don't go on a holiday weekend. That is the only time we ever had trouble there. The trail itself is the best in the state. No roots! Go once before you scratch it off the list. That's our favorite Kisatchie place to ride.

Sandstone map

Last edited:
Reactions: Kajunz400
CajunRedneck

CajunRedneck

Jan 16, 2021
Southeast Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Livingston not so much worth the trip but Sandstone is. Just don't go on a holiday weekend. That is the only time we ever had trouble there. The trail itself is the best in the state. No roots! Go once before you scratch it off the list. That's our favorite Kisatchie place to ride.

View attachment 183407
Hate to drag up an older thread but I have two questions, would a stock machine with no winch be fine at sandstone? And what are the green stickers you were taking about?

Reactions: Isaiah
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
You won’t need a winch for the trail. Green sticker is actually a tag. $5 to ride trail per machine. Put money in envelope, tear off the part to carry with you and the part for vehicle. Put envelope in the drop box. All kisatchie locations have the same procedure.

the trails are still closed from hurricane damage though.

save this phone number for trail status updates.

1 (866) 830-6467

CajunRedneck

CajunRedneck

Jan 16, 2021
Southeast Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You won’t need a winch for the trail. Green sticker is actually a tag. $5 to ride trail per machine. Put money in envelope, tear off the part to carry with you and the part for vehicle. Put envelope in the drop box. All kisatchie locations have the same procedure.

the trails are still closed from hurricane damage though.

save this phone number for trail status updates.

1 (866) 830-6467

Thanks for the quick reply.

Reactions: Isaiah
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Sandstone is the best, smoothest, fastest trail in kisatchie. That’s our favorite place to ride. Wide machines can fit on all the bridges.
Livingston and enduro are a close second. Only 2 bridges at enduro and easy to go around. Lot of bridges at Livingston, all can be by passed but one is not obvious. It’s a little ways around. Wide machines will not fit any of the bridges there.
Forget about Claiborne with anything other than 50”. They have gates to pass through to access the trails.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Just not a lot of places to ride in LA. I will have to look into sandstone.
That's correct. Sandstone is worth the trip though. Livingston is OK but the trail is tight and twisty with a LOT of quick turns. It's not fast but the woods are nice. I don't mind riding there.

If you're in Ruston then you should just go to Arkansas. That's what I would do. Trails are much better up there and the Rangers don't harass you!

Reactions: Buck Chaser
Buck Chaser

Buck Chaser

May 13, 2021
Ruston Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks and Yea i will have to look into all the trails up that way. I know we will be making the mena trip. I am new to the SxS world and will be doing a lot of riding hopefully. I have always done the four wheeler mud riding thing and am over that, want to be able to take the family on trail rides.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Good for you! Another recovering mud addict!:) Glad to hear that you want to make some family trail rides! That's awesome!

Arkansas places we've been:
Wolfpen Gap & Fourche Mountain. You can ride from one to the other on about 24 miles of roads.
Mount Magazine
Mill Creek
There are other trails but we've not tried them.

Any of these places are better than what we have in Louisiana. You'll get hooked on Arkansas!

Reactions: Buck Chaser
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!