P1000 Car battery upgrade

J

Jdiehl7

Sep 21, 2018
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Any current threads on this? Need more power for my lights and accessories. I’m running a 500 watt bar and it’s drawing some serious power after riding around for an hour or two. Already have dual battery with isolator but i don’t think it’s enough as I haven’t even put a radio or much of anything else and the power is surging, along with needing to add more lights. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Any current threads on this? Need more power for my lights and accessories. I’m running a 500 watt bar and it’s drawing some serious power after riding around for an hour or two. Already have dual battery with isolator but i don’t think it’s enough as I haven’t even put a radio or much of anything else and the power is surging, along with needing to add more lights. Thanks in advance

500 watts is a huge light bar lol.

I used a 35 AH deep cycle in my system, my light bar is only 120 watts, but I use it with the cubes, sound bar, gps and phone hooked up, lighted whips and com radio on, and all the back lit switches in the dash as well as all the OEM equipment working with no problems.

It seems at some point these things may need higher capacity stators. I think the stock one produces 600 watts.

J

Jdiehl7

Sep 21, 2018
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-3
500 watts is a huge light bar lol.

I used a 35 AH deep cycle in my system, my light bar is only 120 watts, but I use it with the cubes, sound bar, gps and phone hooked up, lighted whips and com radio on, and all the back lit switches in the dash as well as all the OEM equipment working with no problems.

It seems at some point these things may need higher capacity stators. I think the stock one produces 600 watts.

50” plashlights, can see a longgggggg ways though. Smokes the cheap bars

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
50” plashlights, can see a longgggggg ways though. Smokes the cheap bars

Oh I wasn’t criticizing it, but if your power is surging using it I guess it doesn’t matter. Seems a matter of time before you have a problem if you can’t get more output somehow.

J

Jdiehl7

Sep 21, 2018
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Oh I wasn’t criticizing it, but if your power is surging using it I guess it doesn’t matter. Seems a matter of time before you have a problem if you can’t get more output somehow.

I’m thinking a car battery would help as it has more power stored. I get about a good two hours of riding before I see the effects of the drain. What do you think?

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
At some point I have to wonder if a small aux generator would make more sense?

I’d be concerned that even with an larger aux battery, the stator just isn’t going to live a happy life.

Reactions: MC_Crowbar
J

Jdiehl7

Sep 21, 2018
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-3
At some point I have to wonder if a small aux generator would make more sense?

I’d be concerned that even with an larger aux battery, the stator just isn’t going to live a happy life.

Honestly though about trying to add an alternator for a vehicle. Attach the belt to a drive shaft somehow lol

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I’m thinking a car battery would help as it has more power stored. I get about a good two hours of riding before I see the effects of the drain. What do you think?

Actually a deep cycle would be better. Regular car batteries begin dropping voltage at 20% discharge while a deep cycle battery will hold voltage until about 80% discharge.

You can see the difference if you’re consuming 500 watts alone with your light bar, you’re likely exceeding the 600 watts with everything thats on, that your stator is producing so the battery will begin draining and at just 20% discharge will begin to drop voltage. 100% is 12.6 volts
50% is 12.2 volts

It drops fast...

J

Jdiehl7

Sep 21, 2018
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Actually a deep cycle would be better. Regular car batteries begin dropping voltage at 20% discharge while a deep cycle battery will hold voltage until about 80% discharge.

You can see the difference if you’re consuming 500 watts alone with your light bar, you’re likely exceeding the 600 watts that your stator is producing so the battery will begin draining and at just 20% discharge will begin to drop voltage. 100% is 12.6 volts
50% is 12.2 volts

It drops fast...

Makes sense. Think it would have any negative effect on the transmission? Also any tips on how to set up the single battery under the seat? It would allow more room for the fuse panel and wiring under the hood, it’s packed full rn!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Honestly though about trying to add an alternator for a vehicle. Attach the belt to a drive shaft somehow lol

That’s what I was referring to earlier when I mentioned increased output.

J

Jdiehl7

Sep 21, 2018
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That’s what I was referring to earlier when I mentioned increased output.

It would be tough unless I can attach it to a main drive line. Too much movement on the drive axels

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Makes sense. Think it would have any negative effect on the transmission? Also any tips on how to set up the single battery under the seat? It would allow more room for the fuse panel and wiring under the hood, it’s packed full rn!

I can’t speak to the single battery, I have dual batteries and it’s my accessories battery that is a 35 AH deep cycle. Often I’m setting by the bonfire with the radio going for several hours with no implications to the deep cycle battery but would have the stock battery dead.

Reactions: TimG
J

Jdiehl7

Sep 21, 2018
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I can’t speak to the single battery, I have dual batteries and it’s my accessories battery that is a 35 AH deep cycle. Often I’m setting by the bonfire with the radio going for several hours with no implications to the deep cycle battery but would have the stock battery dead.

So I’d just need to extend the accessory battery cables to reach under the seat?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
It would be tough unless I can attach it to a main drive line. Too much movement on the drive axels

Oh I know dude, I can’t think of a way to make that happen. But at a minimum you have to be producing what you’re using, more would be better. Seems to me that with the amount of accessories we’re all putting on these things that one of the SXS stuff companies would develope a stator that produces more power.

My first vehicle with an alternator (my first vehicle had a generator) was equipped with a 60 amp alternator. The F-250 diesel 4 wheel drive platinum truck I just bought a couple months ago is equipped with dual batteries and dual 120 amp alternators, such is the amount of electronics on them now....:D

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
So I’d just need to extend the accessory battery cables to reach under the seat?

Yes, and they’d need to be mighty stout. Unlike high voltage, low voltage drops very quickly as it runs so you have to compensate with larger cables. The finer and greater number the strands, the better, like welder leads.

J

Jdiehl7

Sep 21, 2018
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yes, and they’d need to be mighty stout. Unlike high voltage, low voltage drops very quickly as it runs so you have to compensate with larger cables. The finer and greater number the strands, the better, like welder leads.

What is your set-up? Did you run these thicker cables from the isolator?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
What is your set-up? Did you run these thicker cables from the isolator?

Yes, but my second battery is but a foot away from the start battery, so my cables don’t need to be near as large as yours will, which may be 4-5 feet long by the time you routed them to a location under your seat.

J

Jdiehl7

Sep 21, 2018
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yes, but my second battery is but a foot away from the start battery, so my cables don’t need to be near as large as yours will, which may be 4-5 feet long by the time you routed them to a location under your seat.

What’s your set-up?

J

JTW

I’d say your bar is actually 300 watts... I’m guessing it’s a 52” dual row? Have you checked the amp draw with a meter?

J

Jdiehl7

Sep 21, 2018
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I’d say your bar is actually 300 watts... I’m guessing it’s a 52” dual row? Have you checked the amp draw with a meter?

50”, each bulb is 5w, there’s 100 bulbs. That’s 500w. And I have not, just know it’s the upgraded 5w vs the normal 3w. It’s on plashlights website if you want to take a look. It’s got 14 gauge lead wires cause 16 will fry

Reactions: TimG and JTW

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!