BOX1

P1000 Cargo Trailers - who transports with them?

H

Hucker

Jul 30, 2016
SE AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys,

New to the P1000-5 world. Loving the machine so far.

I currently have an open, 6x10 aluminum trailer to get from point A to B, but am wanting a cargo trailer to transport/camp when I go further from home. I have my eye on a couple of cargo trailers that have the pop out tents for my sons and I to sleep well while "camping." The question I have is, what width do I need (read: want) for the P1000? The pop out tents, while folded into the trailer, take up approximately 6". I plan on having a tent on each side, so I will effectively lose 1 foot side-to-side.

Does anyone have a picture of their P1000 inside a 7' wide cargo trailer they could post for me to ponder? For trailering purposes, I would prefer the 7' width, but am afraid it will be too tight. The goal is to transport the P1000 on multi-day trips and be able to slide past the P1000 and utilize the tents without unloading the machine. I can get the trailers I am looking at in 7', 8', and 8.5' widths. To reduce the parachute effect, I want the narrowest trailer possible.

Thanks in advance!

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
7 ft wide trailer.
80 inches wide interior (80.5 not including trim on floor)
88.5 high

Make sure you get the extra height height trailer - standard is real tight at best.

These pictures were taken with stock wheels and tires. Its gonna be tighter with my current wheel/tires which are a couple inches wider and a bit higher.

Why not park the pioneer outside when you get to your destination and sleep on cots in the trailer?

Also - an uninsulated trailer gets very warm if parked in the sun.

IMG 2200 IMG 2203 IMG 2201

Reactions: Hucker
H

Hucker

Jul 30, 2016
SE AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@ghost - thanks for the pics!

My thought is to use the pop outs during the cool/warm months and cots during the cold/hot months, as needed. I will have an A/C unit with heater strip installed, but it will not be real effective using the pop outs. When I need to run heat or A/C, I will have to keep it buttoned up and use the cots. But during the other times (where I realistically see myself actually camping) we can use the pop outs. It'll give me some flexibility.

I trailer between AZ and NY, and it takes me three days (2 camping nights) to make the trip. I am known to sleep in rest areas (where legal) or campgrounds (where available) on those trips. Sometimes, I am not in a position to unload the P1000 and hope I can get to the pop outs for the night.

Cold is not an issue...I frequently find myself camping in my canvas tent during elk season in temps as low as 11*. Getting out of the sleeping bag is not pleasant, but the cold is not a deal breaker. As my buddy says, "You gotta be tough to live in these woods!"

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Got it.
You can see from those pics that a 7 ft trailer is gonna be real tight to get into those fold-outs.
I got the 7 cause I want to travel down some tight roads and into small camp sites.
You might want to just bite the bullet and go for the 8.5

Reactions: CumminsPusher
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Or maybe you're looking at a longer trailer - that might work with a 7ft.
How long you thinking?

H

Hucker

Jul 30, 2016
SE AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ugh....I think you are right. Kind of worried about the parachute effect going across the continent.

I might have to change up my layout and have the tents more up front and move the RV door to a spot behind the axles. That would allow the P1000 to be behind the tents and have plenty of side-to-side clearance.

Leaning towards an 8x20 trailer with an extra 1' of height.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Not sure I would move that door - you dont want to be squeezing every time you want to carry something in or out.
I would keep the door up front with a fold-out right next to it. Someone might have climb in and shuffle over.
Put the other fold out up front across from he door. No shuffle needed.

franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi there, well I have the extra height 7 X 14 trailer. Lots of room for camping and hunting gear but hard to get into 1000 from doors, usually have to climb in from back.

100 0914 100 0920 100 0918

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So, the 8' or 8.5' it has to be...

Thanks for the pics guys!!!
Couple of things to consider about a cargo trailer. They ride alittle lower than other trailers so watch out for uneven ground and ruts when pulling into a off road park, or camp ground parking lot. Next thing to think about is the tailgate strength, make sure it can handle the weight of the P1k. Good luck!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!