BOX1

Cheap led light strip

1Ktrailrider

1Ktrailrider

Dec 1, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have had good success with the cheap pre-wired led light strips. The ones that are maybe 12" or so and come in a pack of 4 for about $5. This time I got the long 16' strips. It has a wire on each side and you can trim them to length. I want to make my own shorter, custom lengths but I want to solder wire on. Im wondering if anybody has done that with good results. I have a good amount of experience soldering. I just don't want it to be a ridiculous task..

IMG 20190114 212609 0117191830

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Make sure you cut them to length at their designated cut points. Removing the silicon covering can be a pita. Once removed, it is standard soldering.
Much easier than soldering strain gages!

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Make sure you have a small pointed pen style gun.
And it helps to pre soldier or tinning it's called.
You get a little soldier on all the points then connect them and push down the tip on top of wire that's placed on to strip. It's called tinning.
Doesn't burn the cheap strips. I have been using these cheap strips for a while now.with the right prep and added silicone and shrink tubing they will hold up.

Reactions: 1Ktrailrider
pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I used some of those LED TV backlights from walmart ($5) and made a LED whip for the P5. Wrapped em around a driveway marker rod, and then used clear heat shrink tube to protect and seal. It actually works well and is just as stupid and annoying as the really expensive lighted whips.... :)

Reactions: seig and Mudwing
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!