P1000 Check Your Air box

adnoh

adnoh

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2013
I finally got around to putting my snorkel on last night and im at @1700 miles so i went ahead and changed the air filter while i was back there. The new air filter came with 2 o rings, 1 for the cover and 1 for the box itself. When i took the air box cover off i noticed there were no o rings on either part from the factory.After i reinstalled the filter with the new o rings there was a noticeable seal between the lid and box now, I got my 1000 back in Oct- Nov of last year so it was one of the early ones but keep an eye out when you service your filter

Revtech100

Revtech100

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2016
Anchorage, AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I finally got around to putting my snorkel on last night and im at @1700 miles so i went ahead and changed the air filter while i was back there. The new air filter came with 2 o rings, 1 for the cover and 1 for the box itself. When i took the air box cover off i noticed there were no o rings on either part from the factory.After i reinstalled the filter with the new o rings there was a noticeable seal between the lid and box now, I got my 1000 back in Oct- Nov of last year so it was one of the early ones but keep an eye out when you service your filter
Good info. Thanks for letting us know.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Wow! Thank you for letting us know. I may check mine this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Isaiah
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Doing the "snorkel test" even with a stock setup should tell you if all is well. Place palm of your hand squarely over intake opening. Engine should die within just a few seconds. If it takes longer (or doesn't die at all), that'll tell you further investigation is needed.

Marshallmike25

Marshallmike25

Jul 29, 2016
California
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Took my air filer apart last night to check it out. Never investigated it so after giving the machine a wash I opened it up and it was pretty clean but did notice that there was no rubber gasket on either the housing or the cover. According to the dealers Explenation I have vin #6. So if this is correct I have a very early one. Thinking I should just shrink wrap it and put it in storage for 30 years. Lol

adnoh

adnoh

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2013
Filter looked pretty good for being almost a year old ,but for the guys riding in deep water it could cause a big problem.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Took my air filer apart last night to check it out. Never investigated it so after giving the machine a wash I opened it up and it was pretty clean but did notice that there was no rubber gasket on either the housing or the cover. According to the dealers Explenation I have vin #6. So if this is correct I have a very early one. Thinking I should just shrink wrap it and put it in storage for 30 years. Lol
Do you know if any of them had rubber gaskets I have not checked mine yet.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine didn't have either gasket as well.

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When I changed mine I noticed the same thing. However the rubber gaskets were too big and didn't fit the grooves so I left them off. Still passes the snorkel test though.

L

Luv4Chaos1

Aug 1, 2016
Pinckney, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are the Oring supposed to be there?

DTAGG

DTAGG

Sep 11, 2015
ST GEORGE UTAH/ACCORD LAKES SEVIER COUNTY UTAH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are the Oring supposed to be there?

I serviced my pioneer last week at 1800 miles and removed the air filter cover and found zero dust in the box . very happy with this. Also very pleased with the color of the oil that came out of the engine still very clean after 1700 miles from original change. I decided to extend my miles interval as it looked like 1200 miles on fresh oil did not change much and did not want to waste good oil. trans oil was still as fresh as the day it was installed. changed it anyway.

Reactions: joeymt33
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I serviced my pioneer last week at 1800 miles and removed the air filter cover and found zero dust in the box . very happy with this. Also very pleased with the color of the oil that came out of the engine still very clean after 1700 miles from original change. I decided to extend my miles interval as it looked like 1200 miles on fresh oil did not change much and did not want to waste good oil. trans oil was still as fresh as the day it was installed. changed it anyway.
Did it have the rubber oil Ring's

DTAGG

DTAGG

Sep 11, 2015
ST GEORGE UTAH/ACCORD LAKES SEVIER COUNTY UTAH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i assume you are talking about the cover gasket? yes it was set into the cover
i did not notice any. the box seals up really tight and did not need any cleaning except for the outside of it. even the parts fisch only shows a gasket for the air cleaner upper cover and one for the lower .

Sjc3081

Sjc3081

Jan 16, 2017
Wappinger NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 1000-5 base manufactured 11/17 no O rings on air filter box.

R

Ridgeline1

Dec 18, 2018
WIndham, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I thought my O rings were missing when I removed my air box cover but after a very close look and the use of a "pick" tool, they were both there. They blend right in. The new o rings run a little big so don't stretch them when installing.

Reactions: 0860silverado
ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have an early production w/o o rings. I was able too install the cover o ring but not the filter o ring. Should I open back up and try again to install?

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I thought my O rings were missing when I removed my air box cover but after a very close look and the use of a "pick" tool, they were both there. They blend right in. The new o rings run a little big so don't stretch them when installing.
Same here. Everyone be sure to use a pick of some type, and not just your eyes, to check for the presence of an o-ring. You can't see them easily. Two sets of o-rings would not be a good thing!

Reactions: Isaiah

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!