Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Choped5er

Choped5er

Lifetime Member
Oct 2, 2017
Union
You did a fine job, my concern would be that strength in roll cages comes from building triangles, you don't have any incorporated. I'd get rid of that ladder on top and put in a triangle, lighter and stronger!View attachment 101559
I couldn agree more I just didnt see a way to make it look right. Any more specific ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 70Bones and BWAF
Choped5er

Choped5er

Lifetime Member
Oct 2, 2017
Union
I’ve been in two pretty good rolls In a P1k5.
One was a double side roll with a chopped custom cage, it was very tippy and was gaining speed as it rolled. Was barely able to pull out of the roll with lots of throttle at the right time but it wanted to keep going as there was plenty of hill to do so. No damage to the cage though, landed on wheels then kept going thank god.
The other was a multiple endo with a chopped factory cage. The factory cage did fold but actually slowed the roll and wound up on wheels also.had it been 100% solid it would’ve went several more times.
On my endo I decided rather then build a cage I’d run factory hss cage and cut it down again, so bought all new pieces and cut it down. That’s the route I choose (with longer sleeves inside) because of the way it did fold. I felt that hit less then the hit from side roll with heavier wall steel.
I figure most times we roll it’ll be for short distance and I actually want the cage to collapse a bit to stop the inertia plus it’s lighter with a lot less tendency to roll. I can feel the difference in upper weight by just adding our cut down factory glass windshield. I have since taken all the lights,speaker bars and components from the top out and installed the lightest possible speaker mounts only, nothing else. We will continue to get into precarious situations and I’m just not a fan of the upper weight.
Like I said there is a fine line between lots of weight/strength and lighter/weaker. Cage may be strong enough to roll 20 times but maybe a weaker cage it only rolls a few and cushions the blow. Today’s cars that crumple are much safer then the 60’s that don’t. Different scenarios I know but just saying the other side that some don’t always see.
The last one I had build was a lot simpler, almost the same as the factory, and the braces on the frame gave out folding back. It came very close to the drivers head when it did so and have him 40 stitches in his head. It was a super hard hit tho, basically fell backwards from about 20fr high right on the front edge of the roof. My intention was to get rid of that because of how close he came to getting mashed in, but I do agree, crunch takes the hit for you. Hopefully If I ever need it it will land in somn soft lol the stock one on mine was just to weak, it got bent up badly without even rolling over, just hung on a rock

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Choped5er

Choped5er

Lifetime Member
Oct 2, 2017
Union
I wanna thank you guys for the input, hopefully ill get to meet some of you this year for the takeover as I didn't make it last year

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The last one I had build was a lot simpler, almost the same as the factory, and the braces on the frame gave out folding back. It came very close to the drivers head when it did so and have him 40 stitches in his head. It was a super hard hit tho, basically fell backwards from about 20fr high right on the front edge of the roof. My intention was to get rid of that because of how close he came to getting mashed in, but I do agree, crunch takes the hit for you. Hopefully If I ever need it it will land in somn soft lol the stock one on mine was just to weak, it got bent up badly without even rolling over, just hung on a rock

I can understand building it strong. If there was a close call one way or another that can weigh on you. That hit sounds hard!

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
blaplant

blaplant

Nov 28, 2016
Wesley Chapel FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bringing the thread back. Chopped four inches and now starting to run bracing on different points. Mid project sneak peek.

ACF83A5C F514 49FE 826D 5A9513337022 FAC5C269 1850 4BBD A157 E33343F50942 62060CF8 29C4 4B6E BFC9 A8174BF84DD9

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!