P1000 Clunk noise Coming from rear when turning.

L

Longer444

Jan 11, 2022
Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi Folks,

First Post on here,
I bought a used 2020 1000-5LE back a few months ago, I haven’t put many Km’s on it yet but today I noticed a clunking noise coming from the rear while I turned…
Any ideas?
I inspected the CV boots and did not see any tears.

I did notice, that when selector was in Turf mode, the dash showed 2wd Lock… after messing around with the selector and getting the dash to come out of 2wd lock the turning noise was much quieter (or was gone completely? My paranoid mind may still have been hearing something lol)

I am a very novice rider but mechanically inclined. Thanks B2272CA9 D1DC 4731 B387 5AFAFDEFEFF6

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome from Michigan and nice rig.

Sounds as if your linkage is out of adjustment. Prob wasnt quite right from the factory. However, its an easy fix. Heres a Vidgea of how to adjust it. Try it and get back with your results.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
It could likely be your diff lock / turf mode mechanism hanging up. Even cable out of adjustment.

My 2018LE does the same occasionally if not fully in turf mode or fully in 2WD lock. Very audible when turning, especially backing up and turning.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Definitely follow the video Remington posted, and get it dialed in to where your diff lock engages/disengages in about a half-turn of the tire.

The clunk you are hearing is the rear lock disengaging reluctantly, because it is out of adjustment. It happens when turning because the wheels are spinning at different rates and forcing a disengage. If you watch it in its current state, you would probably have to drive a loooong way going straight before it disengages.

monbecca

monbecca

Mar 9, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from Michigan and nice rig.

Sounds as if your linkage is out of adjustment. Prob wasnt quite right from the factory. However, its an easy fix. Heres a Vidgea of how to adjust it. Try it and get back with your results.

Great video, thinking you should be Teacher 😊

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Mine was making a clunking noise too when I put a small lift on it. I did check the linkage adjustment etc: but the noise was still there. I had the wife drive and I walked/ran along each side and found the noise was coming from the right rear axle. inboard joint. Because of having just did a lift and having 12,000 miles 20,000 klms I replaced both rear axles with all balls 8 ball axles. No more noise. What made me change mine was that with the rear jacked up tire's off the ground there was about a 1/8" back and forth movement in each axle between the axle shaft and the inboard joint. [ with tracks on the machine is always in 4 wheel drive so I'm sure it puts lots of wear on the axle joints] with tires on and in turf mode it's not as hard on the axles.

L

Longer444

Jan 11, 2022
Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks Everyone, spent some time this morning adjusting the cable linkage like the video showed… It seems much better now,

2WD Lock engages about a 1/4 of a tire turn, and when put in turf mode it disengages about 1 full tire turn. Does that sound about right or should I be fine tuning even more?
I took it for a drive and did not hear the noise and the dash indicated that the rear wasn’t locked so definitely an improvement…

Forgot to Mention my location…and Km’s! Anyways from Ontario Canada and it has about 2000kms on it.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thanks Everyone, spent some time this morning adjusting the cable linkage like the video showed… It seems much better now,

2WD Lock engages about a 1/4 of a tire turn, and when put in turf mode it disengages about 1 full tire turn. Does that sound about right or should I be fine tuning even more?
I took it for a drive and did not hear the noise and the dash indicated that the rear wasn’t locked so definitely an improvement…

Forgot to Mention my location…and Km’s! Anyways from Ontario Canada and it has about 2000kms on it.
Sounds like your good.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!