P1000 Clunk sound right before shifting

M

mikeg135

Apr 26, 2016
Evans, GA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
hey guys,
I just had my clutch update done and noticed that the pioneer makes a notable clunk sound right before the transmission shifts. I don't recall it making that clunk before the clutch update. Its fairly pronounced while shifting 1-3 and is less notable in the upper gears.

is this normal or should I be taking it back to the shop?

Reactions: Lady01 and sharp
J

JTW

hey guys,
I just had my clutch update done and noticed that the pioneer makes a notable clunk sound right before the transmission shifts. I don't recall it making that clunk before the clutch update. Its fairly pronounced while shifting 1-3 and is less notable in the upper gears.

is this normal or should I be taking it back to the shop?
It’s fine

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
There should be two “clunks” for each gear shift. One just before the shift and one as it shifts. It seems like some machines have it more pronounced than others.

M

mikeg135

Apr 26, 2016
Evans, GA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
good to know....I definitely have a clunk right before feeling it change gears. sounds like this is normal. thanks for the feedback.

Reactions: Lady01 and joeymt33
03mossy

03mossy

Jun 20, 2018
MN
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand
Is this clunk something you get used to? I am in the shopping/test driving phase right now for a new sxs. When I test drove the 1000-5 I loved everything about it except for that shift clunk really bugged me.

Sorry if this an odd first post but I joined here a while ago and have been reading posts daily and this clunk is the only thing holding me back.

Reactions: Lady01
Shooter63

Shooter63

Shooter 63
Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2019
Longview
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Is this clunk something you get used to? I am in the shopping/test driving phase right now for a new sxs. When I test drove the 1000-5 I loved everything about it except for that shift clunk really bugged me.

Sorry if this an odd first post but I joined here a while ago and have been reading posts daily and this clunk is the only thing holding me back.
It will get progressively quieter as it gets mileage on it

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I don't even notice it anymore, not sure if Ive gotten used to it or its gotten that much quieter.
I guess if you're coming from something that has never made noise because it doesn't shift its a lot different that being used to a geared transmission in a motorcycle or atv where there is a noise when it shifts. 700 and a car are an automotive style automatic the DCT is for lack of a more articulate way of describing it, a computer controlled manual transmission.

J

JTW

I don't even notice it anymore, not sure if Ive gotten used to it or its gotten that much quieter.
I guess if you're coming from something that has never made noise because it doesn't shift its a lot different that being used to a geared transmission in a motorcycle or atv where there is a noise when it shifts.
Mine was much louder before the new clutches.. maybe that’s miles or maybe they adjusted the solenoid. I dunno.

Outacntrl

Outacntrl

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2019
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

It is kind of noisy especially coming from a belt drive machine, but I wouldn't let that deter you. I just got a new machine also and it seems to learn fairly quickly. Still noisy but shifts a lot better than when it was brand new, hoping it gets quieter after first oil change, if not I'll just turn up the radio.

H

HondaTech

Check to see if your machine is creeping in gear after the update. I've had a few do this and a clutch relearn is usually enough to fix it.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Mine clunks loudly. Always has. Haven't had the clutch update yet.

O

ob1jeeper

Dec 20, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The clunk in my 2016 (@ just shy of 10K miles) comes and goes... Sometimes it's un-nervingly loud, other times NO clunk at all. Clutch update was done by previous owner when that update became first available.

B

bullyx

Mar 20, 2016
new york
Ownership

1. 1000-5
old thread, but I have same "concern" about the metal sound clunk then the actual shift. 430ish miles and it doesn't seem to shift smoother or quieter, but I still smile when running her.

greghonda350

greghonda350

Mar 5, 2021
ORLANDO FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Chiming in on the old thread, I just picked up 2021 Pioneer 1000-5 , If has a very noticeable Clunk or kind bang sound when shifting and defiantly seems louder in first few gears ... is this still normal for a 2021 ???

D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Chiming in on the old thread, I just picked up 2021 Pioneer 1000-5 , If has a very noticeable Clunk or kind bang sound when shifting and defiantly seems louder in first few gears ... is this still normal for a 2021 ???
They haven’t changed anything in the drivetrain since it was introduced in 2016, so yes it’s normal. Usually worse in low range too, at least in mine.

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
After the clutch mod for oil flow at 23 miles it seemed louder. Then, at 100 mile oil change got quieter. Now at 400 miles its more of a click sound. No louder than my old trx300fw fourtrax shifting with my foot. The solenoid gets quieter as the gears get better aquainted (worn in). Now it's more of an automatic transmission. Had lower reverse gear (Talon) installed and am looking forward to getting out there next weekend. Snow today, but 60+ Saturday. Get out there and enjoy. Love this family machine. My wife and 2 dogs and I fit comfortably and they don't mind the click of the shifting transmission, plus we talk normally driving around the desert. No need to yell, like our old rig.

Reactions: Lady01 and TripleB
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!