P500 Clunking in the front output shaft

G

Grasshopper

Jun 20, 2019
Pa
Ownership

1. 500
Has anyone dealt with the u joint behind the front diff clunking intermittently? I've read something about bolts mounting the diff having slob and another thread where a fellow had what seemed like the Same noise, but it didn't have a resolution.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I've heard of the front shaft rattling in higher gears in 2wd, but nothing else (yet).

G

Grasshopper

Jun 20, 2019
Pa
Ownership

1. 500
Okay I have a 2016 with about 100 hours it makes the noise and you can feel a vibration at lower speeds in both 2 and 4wd. At higher speeds you can still hear it but no longer feel it. I put it up on harbor freight jack stands and spun the wheels. The noise is definitely in the u joint directly behind the front diff. I'm hesitant to replace the u joint because this problem has come and gone a few times.

G

Grasshopper

Jun 20, 2019
Pa
Ownership

1. 500
Well for the sake of closure I'll post what I found. When I pulled the shaft the u joint seemed fine, but I noticed a shiny ring worn in the shaft. A stick lodged above the shaft and was putting pressure on it making it clunk.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I actually had a stick dislodge my rear boot on the front shaft recently. Didn't damage it, but slung grease everywhere. What are the odds of a stick getting in there?

Imposibru

• Haha
Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!