P1000 Clutch relearn

A

ACJB

Oct 13, 2019
Alabama
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I think I may have burnt clutches. Just bought the machine. It ran fine on test drive but today when I went to move it, it revved high and did not want to go. Got it out and ride it and shifting into 3rd and 5th it revs really high before shifting. I tried the relearn to no avail. Will that relearn fail if the clutches are glazEd? 2017 and previous owner did not take care of the clutch cover deal which sucks. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: TxDoc and TripleB
A

ACJB

Oct 13, 2019
Alabama
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Only thing done to it is an O2 sensor bypass.

Reactions: TxDoc
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I think I may have burnt clutches. Just bought the machine. It ran fine on test drive but today when I went to move it, it revved high and did not want to go. Got it out and ride it and shifting into 3rd and 5th it revs really high before shifting. I tried the relearn to no avail. Will that relearn fail if the clutches are glazEd? 2017 and previous owner did not take care of the clutch cover deal which sucks. Thanks in advance.
WELCOME first if I haven't already. Have you checked oil levels and make sure you have two bars on the temp gauge?

Reactions: Russ989 and TxDoc
A

ACJB

Oct 13, 2019
Alabama
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Did have two bars and oil looked good but I’ll check again just to make sure. Thanks.

A

ACJB

Oct 13, 2019
Alabama
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Oil at or just above the top line warm. It’s weird how I’ve moved it several times and it engaged fine. Even seems to ease forward on flat smooth concrete. Could that have glazed the clutches that quick? Thanks.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Oil at or just above the top line warm. It’s weird how I’ve moved it several times and it engaged fine. Even seems to ease forward on flat smooth concrete. Could that have glazed the clutches that quick? Thanks.
Wouldn't think so, someone will chime in that knows way more than I do!

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Since the cluth cover was not done, I would just plan on doing it.

Reactions: TxDoc and Smitty335
A

ACJB

Oct 13, 2019
Alabama
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I am Concerned that it will not do the relearn. Any idea as to why that might be failing? Would bad clutches cause that?

A

ACJB

Oct 13, 2019
Alabama
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I am Concerned that it will not do the relearn. Any idea as to why that might be failing? Would bad clutches cause that?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Maybe @HondaTech will see this in a couple of days, he's got a lot of knowledge.

Reactions: Russ989
kamikaze

kamikaze

Jul 2, 2020
Linden, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Time for new clutch packs. Just had the same shifting issues and $1600 later Honda fixed it.

Sounds like the guy you bought it from knowingly sold you his problem.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: CID
A

ACJB

Oct 13, 2019
Alabama
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Maybe. But I bought it cheap so I was waiting for whatever it was. I just hope I can get it to relearn once replaced. I’ve ordered everything. Thanks.

kamikaze

kamikaze

Jul 2, 2020
Linden, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe. But I bought it cheap so I was waiting for whatever it was. I just hope I can get it to relearn once replaced. I’ve ordered everything. Thanks.

Honda somehow forgot to do the relearn when they replaced the clutch packs on mine and it shifted fine. I did the relearn myself to clear the codes. Couldn't tell a difference in how it shifted

A

ACJB

Oct 13, 2019
Alabama
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Just to follow up in case it helps anyone. On my first test drive after putting it all back together it work great. Clutch relearn worked first try. I guess bad clutches will cause it not to succeed. I did notice the old clutches had a lot of play in them. Anyway, if you are having shifting issues where it revs high, the clutch pack could very well be your issue. I appreciate all the help from you guys.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!