P1000 Clutch stuck in high gear???

bigcountrywv87

bigcountrywv87

Jun 20, 2020
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a p1000-5 with only 170 miles. While riding today the engine stalled. It showed an “E” in the gear box. I believe the clutch got stuck in a high gear because it is having issues going in and out of gear. Switching gears from R to H and back. Won’t even go to L. When I do get it to go in “H” it has vehicle creep at idle. I’ve tried the DCT relearn, but it didn’t help. From my understanding the warranty is expired with the machine being more than a year old. Has anyone encountered this issue and can offer help/suggestions?

Reactions: TxDoc
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Here's the DCT troubleshooting from the Talon manual, I'm guessing it's the same. Are you getting any codes?

Screenshot 20200625 221458 Screenshot 20200625 221519

Reactions: TxDoc
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Is it really an "E" or could it be a dash "--"?

bigcountrywv87

bigcountrywv87

Jun 20, 2020
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is it really an "E" or could it be a dash "--"?
It was definitely an “E” it went away after I shut the machine off and restarted it a couple times, but still seems to be stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear even after the relearn

O

Outdrsman

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had issues like this with a new machine ended up being lose ground under drivers seat on motor

Reactions: TripleB
bigcountrywv87

bigcountrywv87

Jun 20, 2020
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Update: I was able to manually put it back in first gear using the tool and the problem still persist (even after doing the trans relearn again). I called dealerships and they checked my vin. It shows that my machine hasn’t gotten the clutch update and has 3 open recalls. I’m hoping that will solve the issues. The down side to that is I’m going to be waiting a few weeks until they can get me in.

Reactions: 906UP
nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't really know much about these kind of issues. But, this past weekend I had a shifting issue that sounds a bit similar to your problem. The guys here recommended I check my grounds, I did and found I had one that was loose on my battery. You may want to start with checking them.

H

HondaTech

Update: I was able to manually put it back in first gear using the tool and the problem still persist (even after doing the trans relearn again). I called dealerships and they checked my vin. It shows that my machine hasn’t gotten the clutch update and has 3 open recalls. I’m hoping that will solve the issues. The down side to that is I’m going to be waiting a few weeks until they can get me in.

If they do the clutch update, make sure they inspect the outer clutch itself. Its most likely burnt and needs replaced. I do believe Honda might pay for it still if you haven't ever had one.

Reactions: 906UP and TripleB
bigcountrywv87

bigcountrywv87

Jun 20, 2020
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If they do the clutch update, make sure they inspect the outer clutch itself. Its most likely burnt and needs replaced. I do believe Honda might pay for it still if you haven't ever had one.
I will mention that along with doing the break in service. Although, they’re so backed up with work right now, they may not do it. What all does the clutch update entail?

1Ktrailrider

1Ktrailrider

Dec 1, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will mention that along with doing the break in service. Although, they’re so backed up with work right now, they may not do it. What all does the clutch update entail?
The clutch update should have been done if you got it from a dealer. With as little miles as you have it shouldn't be an issue. But when that "E" flashes in the gear position box it's flashing a check engine code. It's stuck in gear because it's going into limp mode so nothing gets damaged. Count the long and short flashes as it blinks. Long flash=10 and short flash=1. Also, when the "E" comes up does it show AT/MT on the bottom? If you did the clutch relearn and it didn't take then that will show up. The only time a clutch relearn is needed is if you made any mechanical changes to the clutch system. I'm assuming you did the CRL after you started having issues.

bigcountrywv87

bigcountrywv87

Jun 20, 2020
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The clutch update should have been done if you got it from a dealer. With as little miles as you have it shouldn't be an issue. But when that "E" flashes in the gear position box it's flashing a check engine code. It's stuck in gear because it's going into limp mode so nothing gets damaged. Count the long and short flashes as it blinks. Long flash=10 and short flash=1. Also, when the "E" comes up does it show AT/MT on the bottom? If you did the clutch relearn and it didn't take then that will show up. The only time a clutch relearn is needed is if you made any mechanical changes to the clutch system. I'm assuming you did the CRL after you started having issues.
I bought it private party. The previous owner just used it around the farm here and there, is the reason the miles are low. The first dealer I spoke with checked my vin and told me that it needed the update as well as 3 other recall fixes. The “E” is no longer on the screen, it went away after shutting the machine off and restarting a couple times. Yes, I did the relearn after having the issues.

1Ktrailrider

1Ktrailrider

Dec 1, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought it private party. The previous owner just used it around the farm here and there, is the reason the miles are low. The first dealer I spoke with checked my vin and told me that it needed the update as well as 3 other recall fixes. The “E” is no longer on the screen, it went away after shutting the machine off and restarting a couple times. Yes, I did the relearn after having the issues.
Well. I guess the first thing to do is get the recalls on the clutch done. Their is a deadline on the clutch recall. The other is a heat shield for the exhaust, comfort kit under the seat, and gas pedal.

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
This unit is a 2016 model?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!