P1000 Clutch temp sensor flashing and '-' gear selector

emerhil

emerhil

Jun 21, 2022
fairbanks, AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2022 pioneer 1000-5 only has 48 miles. In Alaska. Took for ride yesterday, since snow is finally melted here. Rode on paved road in high, then on trail in low. Rode up typical trail, some mud and some snow slush. On way back noticed clutch temp light flashing. Was in low range. Pulled over. Shut off. Then on, it was normal. then came back on. Then at end of trail, 3 mins later, shut off, then on. And drove off on flat in high range and it shifted up no issue. 5 miles down hill to home, soon pulling into drive it came on. Parked.

Today washed off mud. Started. Light flashes immediately. It also has gear select showing '-' and flashing at 1/2 second, while also clutch sensor light flashing. I tried the clutch reset/learn procedure a few times and nothing changed. I think I did that right. I checked battery connections, they are tight.

I cannot find the chassis ground. Under seat I do not see any ground to frame anywhere. And do not see any fuses there.

This is forest model.

Hate to take to deal as they will take long time to even look.

I did not try disconnect battery yet. Maybe i should. ideas? Maybe it was burning clutch in high range on paved road? And maybe also in low while driving up trail with some snow slush. It never had stopped wheels. Sheesh.

Suggestions? I can just take it back to dealer. But hoping sort out what is wrong myself if possible. Dealers did install the factory heater. I added oil pan heater pad, this is Alaska. And a plow, and better skid plate. Plow is not on.

Was first trail ride i have done. Again, I was in low the entire tie on trail and any load. Rest of time was in high and going 30-45 mph.

one pic is key on, gear is '-' (flashing at 1/2 second) and flashing clutch sensor (cannot catch both at same time on), other pic is during idle, gear turns into some strange symbol and clutch temp sensor flashing.

Thanks for any help.

Key on Idling

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Check all of your grounds on chassis and engine. I've never had any issues myself but it gets mentioned a lot on here when machines have shifting issues or engine running problems. Doesn't sound like you were doing anything that would burn a clutch. If you use the search bar top right you should find lots of reading on this. I pasted one of them. And you better get some pics of your rig posted before the cops get here. Good luck.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I cannot find the chassis ground. Under seat I do not see any ground to frame anywhere. And do not see any fuses there.
Use the search up top of the page to look for gound locations. Take them apart and clean them good and there mounting surfaces. Its a common issue even when new .

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don't just grab them and see if they wiggle. Put a wrench on them and assure that they're snug.

Do not over torque any of these bolts, though! Best to use a 1/4" drive and a socket so you can't strip anything out.

emerhil

emerhil

Jun 21, 2022
fairbanks, AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I came home, decided to first check fluid. I only checked one under seat. It seemed that is tranny. Also engine? seems like this would be a wet clutch, not that I understand them that much. Fluid was good.

So I poked around and sure enough there are two grounds. Both can be got to under the seat in center. One on engine, other on frame. Follow engine one back to where it is on frame. Very hard to see it, it tucks in behind metal. Honda engineer who attaches there needs to go pull it off and see what that is like. Not super fun. I cleaned one on frame, put back. it was not loose. Wire brushed. I wire brushed and sand papered frame one. Very hard to get to. Pull out deep pan underneath driver seat. Then remove two bolts and couple of plastic rivets. pull plastic panel back exposing the ground mount to frame. I used a small wrench to hold plastic back. Cleaned connection, and connectors, sprayed white grease (not sure if bad idea because maybe does not conduct. decided to chance it.) Grease to help resist corrosion, last a while at least.

Hooked back. Turned key on. And ... NO ERRORS! Started, and idled 20 mins. Nothing, no errors. Was raining by then so did not go ride to test. Will later. Will report back. I assume the problem is fixed. no dealer. And least I know better now where some stuff is on the rig. Super grateful for help here. I also noticed a post about fuel line on connector for back bed, so I added that as well as had exact hose on hand. One less rattle! What a great forum this is. I sped read some of your thread P1K5Dave. Pretty nice.

emerhil

emerhil

Jun 21, 2022
fairbanks, AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I spoke too soon. Rain stopped. I hopped in and fired it up. Backed up, in high, and pulled forward. Stopped cuz noticed I was in 4wheel. Moved to turf, and immediately clutch sensor light started flashing. And the flashing ' - ' So I will just load it up and take to the dealer. It is under warranty. Sigh. Will report what happens there. Be next week.

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I spoke too soon. Rain stopped. I hopped in and fired it up. Backed up, in high, and pulled forward. Stopped cuz noticed I was in 4wheel. Moved to turf, and immediately clutch sensor light started flashing. And the flashing ' - ' So I will just load it up and take to the dealer. It is under warranty. Sigh. Will report what happens there. Be next week.
Well that sucks! I'm glad you gave it a look. No better way to learn your buggy than to dig in. Being brand new I hope the dealer can figure this out for you. Good luck and keep us posted please.

Reactions: WagginTail
emerhil

emerhil

Jun 21, 2022
fairbanks, AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dealer said it was neutral safety switch. By code I think they said. They unplugged and replugged and it went away. Drove a mile and did not come back. But ordered new anyways. I picked it up (before part arrived) for weekend. On way back on casual ride it happened again. I actually cannot find the location of the switch so far. Waiting on a manual I ordered. But will take back to dealer soon as the new one arrives.