BOX1

clutch

M

MDFMac

Aug 23, 2020
upstate ny
Ownership

1. Talon X
any aftermarket stuff out yet? i heard rumors of a disk kit to use the old basket with but thats about it. there has to be some one out there going to make a aftermarket one

H

HondaTech

any aftermarket stuff out yet? i heard rumors of a disk kit to use the old basket with but thats about it. there has to be some one out there going to make a aftermarket one

The issue with the Talon (and Pioneer clutch for that matter) is the freeplay that has to exist between the applied and relaxed positions.

When Honda orignally designed the clutches, you were going go be able purchase the parts (fibers, plates, basket) separately and then purchase the correct end plate to set the proper freeplay. But they decided to not do that and sell them as an assembly with the freeplay set already.

If you look at the end plate on the clutches there is a number. That numer corresponds to the thickness of that plate and you could adjust freeplay with different plates. The original Pioneer manuals had this measurement and plate number to thickness table in them.

Any aftermarket supplier would theoretically need to figure this out as well.

We've heard rumors also of adding more fibers for strength and aftermarket fibers as well. But nobody has produce physical eveidence.

We havent had any issues with ours in the race car. Were actually on the original clutch from when the car was new.

Some of the issue seems to arise from the stock PCM "traction control" programming that slips the clutch when it detects wheel spin. I think most tuners are just eliminating that programming all together to keep the clutch from being purposely slipped. Also adding a remote oil cooler helps, since anything above 240 degrees of oil temp, the PCM pulls stuff to save the clutch.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
We've heard rumors also of adding more fibers for strength and aftermarket fibers as well. But nobody has produce physical eveidence

@snuffnwhisky has both evidence you speak of.

Last edited:
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Just looked in a tool box drawer. Got some more complete clutches somewhere around here haha if anyone needs parts.

20211004 231344

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Just looked in a tool box drawer. Got some more complete clutches somewhere around here haha if anyone needs parts.

View attachment 298512
Holy crap. I think I hucked my old ones into the back field pissed when I was going through the issues. Same set for 3 years now, I’m thinking it was that machine lol.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Don't blame u haha. Yea should be mostly fixed after the update.
I believe loose intake on that machine was the cause. I think that was product bulletin #5 I had pleasure of experiencing. Ahhh…the good ol days.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
That fit in a Talon head? If so, want to sell it? I need a cam core to send in and be re-ground but can't chance taking mine out between races and not getting it back in time.
The thrust washer is thinner on the pioneer than talon. Probably need to start with a talon core. Have u talked to Web Camshafts? They can weld up and regrind.

Reactions: Blownzuki
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
The thrust washer is thinner on the pioneer than talon. Probably need to start with a talon core. Have u talked to Web Camshafts? They can weld up and regrind.

Damn!

That's what I want to do but I don't want to take the cam out of my engine and send it out in between race dates. If I don't get it back in time due to a shipping mishap or other factors beyond my control I'm screwed for the following race.

Reactions: Blownzuki
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Damn!

That's what I want to do but I don't want to take the cam out of my engine and send it out in between race dates. If I don't get it back in time due to a shipping mishap or other factors beyond my control I'm screwed for the following race.
$280 for a new one.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!