Clutches are dead yet again

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Within 150 miles from each other, two clutch packs have failed. Pretty disappointed. Off to the shop yet again.

I don't know what I'm going to do yet. I think I'm gonna consignment sale the pig and just take the loss. Every time I go out something breaks

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Shannon840
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sorry to hear that. How many miles on the rig total? Tells us more of the background. Mods on the machine, what were you doing when it failed?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
In a skeg. These machines simply aren't designed to work in muskeg. Simple as that.

I have 30 intimidators
Hilifter a arms
2.5 inch lift.

I did t into my oil cooler for a heater. I'm not sure if that had anything to do this time, but either way I'm taking it out, gonna just throw a coupler where the t is and revert to stock.

I'm pretty unhappy. In my opinion I didn't ride it hard enough today to damage anything. We winched out and slowly turned the tires till they grabbed. Once the tires grabbed we slowly crept out using the winch.

Reactions: Shannon840
ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
That really sucks. Hate for you. So warranty is out of the question?

Reactions: dotman1
Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Has anyone heard of someone running 30s that HASNT had clutch problems?

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
That really sucks. Hate for you. So warranty is out of the question?
Oh no. This is certainly warranty work. Whether my tires have to come off before I drop it off or what.

My shop doesn't care about mods. The regional reps do. So it's a gamble.

Smaller tires wouldn't have helped anything. stuck tires are stuck tires. Only thing that would have helped was bald tires.

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Here's the stuck. Sucky deal is we used a 4500 lb winch and I really babied it and made sure my wheels were turning. I feel like I did everything right.

Then as we winched up and my tires started doing tire things, I feathered the clutches. Only for about 5-7 seconds in total. But the winch was doing the work. All I was trying to do was rotate the tires so I wasn't plowing mud.

Imho that should have wore the clutches a little, not burnt them to a crisp.

White smoke was blowing out my tailpipe. Looked like a gasket gave or something. Checked my oil and everything looked good. Idk what's going on. It went away after a few miles. Maybe clutches cooled off? This rigs been nothing but problems for me, though admittedly one or two of those problems we're self induced.

I just don't feel like this rig should bear the Honda name. We've never had a Honda that you had to baby, and if it got stuck it certainly wasn't going to break. I think it's just a tad ridiculous that if you get stuck you cannot use the throttle at all or your clutches die. You have to winch 100% out all the way back to hard pack before using the throttle or what? D9241022329dd97d2e2924b32b39de8870617f0ff207ee0fa847029486efdb05

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here's the stuck. Sucky deal is we used a 4500 lb winch and I really babied it and made sure my wheels were turning. I feel like I did everything right.

Then as we winched up and my tires started doing tire things, I feathered the clutches. Only for about 5-7 seconds in total. But the winch was doing the work. All I was trying to do was rotate the tires so I wasn't plowing mud.

Imho that should have wore the clutches a little, not burnt them to a crisp.

White smoke was blowing out my tailpipe. Looked like a gasket gave or something. Checked my oil and everything looked good. Idk what's going on. It went away after a few miles. Maybe clutches cooled off? This rigs been nothing but problems for me, though admittedly one or two of those problems we're self induced.

I just don't feel like this rig should bear the Honda name. We've never had a Honda that you had to baby, and if it got stuck it certainly wasn't going to break. I think it's just a tad ridiculous that if you get stuck you cannot use the throttle at all or your clutches die. You have to winch 100% out all the way back to hard pack before using the throttle or what?View attachment 46533View attachment 46534

Do you have a second battery for the winch, or were you draining the main battery winching?

If the main battery drops below 12v (which can be done in seconds with a 4500lb winch) the clutch Solenoid cuts out making it easier to kill the clutches. Once the battery charges back the clutch solenoid engages again.

I have my accessories isolated from the main battery and a voltmeter to watch both batteries.

P1000m5 - The Mistress

Dc2dd7c2104a6215a9396139a22c567a

W

wyodlr

Aug 15, 2016
Cody Wyoming
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In a skeg. These machines simply aren't designed to work in muskeg. Simple as that.

I have 30 intimidators
Hilifter a arms
2.5 inch lift.

I did t into my oil cooler for a heater. I'm not sure if that had anything to do this time, but either way I'm taking it out, gonna just throw a coupler where the t is and revert to stock.

I'm pretty unhappy. In my opinion I didn't ride it hard enough today to damage anything. We winched out and slowly turned the tires till they grabbed. Once the tires grabbed we slowly crept out using the winch.

You put a t in the oil cooler for your heater and not in a radiator hose. Anything in the oil line could cause problems

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Do you have a second battery for the winch, or were you draining the main battery winching?

If the main battery drops below 12v (which can be done in seconds with a 4500lb winch) the clutch Solenoid cuts out making it easier to kill the clutches. Once the battery charges back the clutch solenoid engages again.

I have my accessories isolated from the main battery and a voltmeter to watch both batteries.

P1000m5 - The Mistress

View attachment 46540

I don't disagree that this should be done, I do fault Honda though for not including this in the machine from the factory if the clutch solenoids are that sensitive (and I have no doubt they are). They offer a Warn ProVantage 4500 lb winch as a Honda branded option and require you to buy a wiring harness and a winch mount. They should have included a battery isolator as a part of the wiring harness package and specified that you need an extra battery. There is already a place under the hood for it.

Leaving it for customers to figure out in the field (after smoking their clutches) is not good for their brand.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

I have 30 intimidators
Hilifter a arms
2.5 inch lift.

So how many engine RPMs were you turning when you "slowly turned the tires"? Were you still in the clutch "red zone" do you think? Like 2-3K RPMs with very few tire RPMs?

When you said you tapped into the oil cooler for your heater, what do you mean?

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree, it would be nice to just stand on the throttle like it had a torque converter but with clutches...you have to think like you have your left foot (or left hand) on a standard manual clutch and you're essentially slipping it. There is hardly a clutch out there that will stand up to hard ass slipping...They just burn up...slip a clutch and they are gone, some sooner than others.

It would have been GREAT if the engineers had incorporated a torque converter AND the dual clutch setup for this kind of abuse, but unfortunately they did not...

The PK's need to be used within their design parameters and not treated like it was a boat, airplane, or Class 7 off road truck. You can do these things, but not with a poor little PK at $17,000...maybe a $100,000 monster is a better choice. Just say'n...

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I agree, it would be nice to just stand on the throttle like it had a torque converter but with clutches...you have to think like you have your left foot (or left hand) on a standard manual clutch and you're essentially slipping it. There is hardly a clutch out there that will stand up to hard ass slipping...They just burn up...slip a clutch and they are gone, some sooner than others.

It would have been GREAT if the engineers had incorporated a torque converter AND the dual clutch setup for this kind of abuse, but unfortunately they did not...

The PK's need to be used within their design parameters and not treated like it was a boat, airplane, or Class 7 off road truck. You can do these things, but not with a poor little PK at $17,000...maybe a $100,000 monster is a better choice. Just say'n...

What is odd is Honda uses that setup in their DCT passenger cars to prevent clutch wear and improve customer satisfaction and they brag on how their automotive engineering division helped with the development of the I-4WD. Why not the DCT?

elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
What is odd is Honda uses that setup in their DCT passenger cars to prevent clutch wear and improve customer satisfaction and they brag on how their automotive engineering division helped with the development of the I-4WD. Why not the DCT?

You are right. My commuter car (150 miles round trip) has a Honda DCT in it and it is one of the things that pointed me towards the P1K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm willing to bet the Honda passenger cars with DCT are not up to the window sills in Muskeg...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Some of these units are being abused like only Honda engineers could dream in a nightmare.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Honda does use a torque converter in there DCT cars or at least my nephews does.
A torque converter would add more weight to a already heavy machine.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!