BOX1

P1000 Code 29 High Idle issue

B

bluedog69

Sep 18, 2019
NW Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So my 2018( less than one year old bought in Sept 2019) has started to have a revving up and down issue(once or twice) and now it is a consistent high idle issue.
It will start up fine when cold and run hours with no problem. Shut it off and try to restart it hot and it idles about 2100 rpm and it throws code 29. Let it cool and it restarts fine. Still under warranty but July 11th is appointment to get it in, and then they said it may be weeks after that to get parts.(covid shipping?)

Is this located on the passenger side of the intake? Need to remove back of front seat to get to it? Somewhere I watched a video of a guy using plastic safe and electronic safe spray to clean out the IACV. Anyone done this?

Any help is appreciated. I could wait for dealer, but use this thing daily on the farm.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The IACV controls idle and auto choke.

The IACV connector has been known to have a broken wire simular to the injector issue. You won't be able to see the break. If it is broke. It will be right at the head of the connector inside the insulation.
Also. The IACV could just need cleaning.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The IACV controls idle and auto choke.

The IACV connector has been known to have a broken wire simular to the injector issue. You won't be able to see the break. If it is broke. It will be right at the head of the connector inside the insulation.
Also. The IACV could just need cleaning.
Can you advise where the IACV is located?

Reactions: bluedog69
B

bluedog69

Sep 18, 2019
NW Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sooo, yesterday I was using it to check cows and fence. It started up fine while it was cold and then after running for about an hour it threw a code 29 but the idle never changed from normal. Went home and parked it and trailered it 30 miles to check cows.

Started up fine drove it 10 minutes and shut it off. Started it up with a high idle code 29 flashing. Shut it off and thought what the heck I am going to try to start it as fast as I can humanly can. So I immediately went from off to cranking as fast as I could move the key. Surprise! Perfect idle and no code. I repeated this 4 to 5 more times(fast starting while hot). Worked every time.

Tonight I took a buddy to check crops. After about 15 minutes of riding I shut it off and started it slow(let it say hello honda etc). Got a fast idle and a code 29. Shut it off. Waited three seconds and did a lightning startup... normal idle and no check engine light. One more slow start up and got a fast idle and light came on. Immediately shut it off and started it fast again and normal idle and no light.

Will keep experimenting. If I get time I will maybe try to clean IACV. If it keeps being predictable I can't see it being broken wiring???

Reactions: CID
B

bluedog69

Sep 18, 2019
NW Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just for an update on this, I took it into and let Honda fix it.(under warranty)

It was a bad connection/ broken wire/connector to wire problem.

The tech said he put a new pin connector and a short piece of wire into the connector to fix it.

In other words I think it is a 4 pin connector and he only replaced one of the pins/wires in that connector.

Reactions: Ramtruck and CID
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Just for an update on this, I took it into and let Honda fix it.(under warranty)

It was a bad connection/ broken wire/connector to wire problem.

The tech said he put a new pin connector and a short piece of wire into the connector to fix it.

In other words I think it is a 4 pin connector and he only replaced one of the pins/wires in that connector.
Mine started doing this when I figured out I could start it in gear with my foot on the brake, quit doing that. Now if I forget to take my foot off the brake in park and start it, it will do it?

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!