BRed Codes

T

Tickhound93

Jul 20, 2016
Iowa
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hey guys, new user. Short intro then my question, I own a small power sports repair shop in northeast Iowa, just opened up this year. I'm all by myself in the shop and not dealer affiliated.
My question, I have a big red 700 in here, 2012. Customer said it died and wouldn't start. After a bit it started. Couple days later, it died and would not start again. Said there was a backfire, it shut off and would not restart. I checked it out and found the magnets all wadded up in the aramature. I want to send it into self diagnostic mode to retrieve codes to see what caused the backfire/ dying issue. Anyone know the sequence or if it can be done without a scanner? Dying issue may or may not be related to balled up starter, just looking for any codes that may give me some insight. Thanks all

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Welcome @Tickhound93,
Starters are known on the BR's to come apart. That will be your starting issue.

Is it showing codes? Normally it will flash if there is something. I would have to dig into it myself to give any more info. But check this post out - Big Red Service Manual 2009-2012. Divided downloads.

It requires a "special" tool. Which is just a wire jumper. You can DIY your own out of wire once you figure out which wires it is.

Other then that, u know the drill. gas, spark, filter, oil are not bad.

Oh.. have been few reports of fuel pumps but nothing big.

T

Tickhound93

Jul 20, 2016
Iowa
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Welcome @Tickhound93,
Starters are known on the BR's to come apart. That will be your starting issue.

Is it showing codes? Normally it will flash if there is something. I would have to dig into it myself to give any more info. But check this post out - Big Red Service Manual 2009-2012. Divided downloads.

It requires a "special" tool. Which is just a wire jumper. You can DIY your own out of wire once you figure out which wires it is.

Other then that, u know the drill. gas, spark, filter, oil are not bad.

Oh.. have been few reports of fuel pumps but nothing big.
It is not showing codes. But if you could find info on the jumper wire that would be great. I have a special instrument board I will hook up when I get it started, battery volt meter, fuel pressure and oil pressure gauge, timing light and 02 sensor. I will use that to diagnose the stall. Also worth mentioning I just did the top end on it 2 weeks ago

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Download chapters 4-7 from the link above and look at page 6-12.

T

Tickhound93

Jul 20, 2016
Iowa
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Download chapters 4-7 from the link above and look at page 6-12.
Link does not work. Says address is invalid. If I can get a definitive answer on this I will share it so people know.

T

Tickhound93

Jul 20, 2016
Iowa
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Try this link - Dropbox - Big Red chapter 4-7b.pdf

Sorry, not many big red owners around anymore to help.
But without the MIL blinking I dont think you have any codes to pull.
You sir, have done a huge favor for me. I owe you in 12 ounce currency. Thank you so much. If I can help you out in any way, let me know. I do a lot of atvs, bikes and Stihl chainsaws. Need anything give me a holler

Reactions: Hondasxs

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!