BOX1

Control arm mounts bent

W

Washout92

Jul 27, 2020
Alberta
Ownership

1. Talon X
Hey guys just wondering if anyone has had their frame mounts bent? Hit a wash out at a good clip (driver error) and bent the lower control arm mounts. Anyone know if this is a frame replacement or they can be bent back?

Reactions: JenElio
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Look up "Broken Bolt mount to A-Arm. 2018 Pioneer 1000-LE"
I'm not sure how to copy the link, there are some good ideas on how to fix it if thats your interest.

Oh and welcome to the club!

Reactions: Mudwing
W

Washout92

Jul 27, 2020
Alberta
Ownership

1. Talon X
It's on a talon, but ya I'll look it it up, its headed to the dealer tomorrow to get checked to see if the frame has been damaged or not. Hopefully not. He said ones been in there 2 months waiting for a frame cuase if this covid stuff

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Ohh a Talon, my bad. Dang, doesn't the talons have double tabs? Shouldn't bend easy.

Reactions: Mudwing
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I don’t know if talon front section comes separately unlike the Pioneer but if it doesn’t it’s expensive and time consuming from the stealership.
If you’re paying out of pocket you may just consider bringing running it into a bodyshop or a metal fab shop and have them bend it back and reinforce it. Be a hell of a lot cheaper and stronger for the next hit.

W

Washout92

Jul 27, 2020
Alberta
Ownership

1. Talon X
Ya I'll see what they want to fix it. If the frames actually bent then I'll replace it. But from what I could see of the tabs a buddy shop could bend it back
20200726 155315
20200726 213420
20200726 155315

Reactions: Mopower58
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Frame looks bent

H

HondaTech

I don’t know if talon front section comes separately unlike the Pioneer but if it doesn’t it’s expensive and time consuming from the stealership.
If you’re paying out of pocket you may just consider bringing running it into a bodyshop or a metal fab shop and have them bend it back and reinforce it. Be a hell of a lot cheaper and stronger for the next hit.

Talon has a one piece frame unlike the P1K 3 piece frame.

My GM is dealing with the same issue from being ran into a tree at the last race.

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I know automotive body shops have computer run racks with programs for many vehicles, they position known points on the chassis and the computer pulls until it's straight. Is that available for the Talon, or are we using a torch, tape measure and come-a-long?

Reactions: Mopower58
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I know automotive body shops have computer run racks with programs for many vehicles, they position known points on the chassis and the computer pulls until it's straight. Is that available for the Talon, or are we using a torch, tape measure and come-a-long?
I believe it's the latter unfortunately...

Reactions: CID
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Does anyone have pictures of bent mounts? I'm wondering if some sort of brace can be made to stop them from bending. Looking at mine now and it looks like I could tie the front upper and lower control arm mounts together with some tube. The rear parts wouldn't be so doable but im sure I can think of something....

Having pictures of bent mounts would help determine what direction to stiffen them up in. Anybody?

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
Does anyone have pictures of bent mounts? I'm wondering if some sort of brace can be made to stop them from bending. Looking at mine now and it looks like I could tie the front upper and lower control arm mounts together with some tube. The rear parts wouldn't be so doable but im sure I can think of something....

Having pictures of bent mounts would help determine what direction to stiffen them up in. Anybody?
Mine bent slightly when crushing an a arm.
each lower tab bent straight back 10-15*

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R

All the pics I have seen show that rearward forces bend the tabs back, not up. I believe some small triangular gussets welded in just above and below the bolt (with just enough room for a socket) would be the most effective way to stop the most common bending. Something like this...

16 of these little beauties would go a long way in strengthening the lower mounting tabs, BUT be careful that you get the width exactly correct. Or possibly just do the back side and let the front float so you still get a "pinch" when you tighten the bolts.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
All the pics I have seen show that rearward forces bend the tabs back, not up. I believe some small triangular gussets welded in just above and below the bolt (with just enough room for a socket) would be the most effective way to stop the most common bending. Something like this...

View attachment 216022

16 of these little beauties would go a long way in strengthening the lower mounting tabs, BUT be careful that you get the width exactly correct. Or possibly just do the back side and let the front float so you still get a "pinch" when you tighten the bolts.
Note to beginning weldors, all welds shrink. Yes, heat expands but the resulting contraction is more than the expansion. In Paul's example, the added gussets will 'pull' the opening wider. A solution would be to cut a spacer the correct length and bolt in place while welding and cooling. A lathe would make this easy, I'd be using a hack saw and angle grinder. :(

Reactions: Iowamike and PaulF
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Anybody have thoughts on the Super ATV Talon frame brace? Looks like it braces all the front lower arm mounting points, but it also looks heavy...

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab
H

HondaTech

How bad did it bend?

His Driver side lower A-arm snapped in half and it bent the upper pretty good. His upper bushing were seized in the arm.
Lower tabs were noticeably bent back and we've straightened them out enough for this next race, he plans on going further to straighten them after this round.

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
Anybody have thoughts on the Super ATV Talon frame brace? Looks like it braces all the front lower arm mounting points, but it also looks heavy...
I have one to install with my portals.
i’ll take pics after install.
I could weld in braces for free but would rather spend the pennies for the brace and tie everything together.

W

Washout92

Jul 27, 2020
Alberta
Ownership

1. Talon X
I had a look at the showroom unit and the tabs are actually angled slightly. So I'm hopeful it's all on the frame. And might just pull and tap the tabs back and install the super atv brace to reinforce (give me a good indicator if I'm close to stock after bending. If the holes and everything lines up to the stiffener). Probably just going to upgrade the control arms to the super ATV high clearance while I'm into the front end.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!