BOX1

Talon Honda Talon Cooling Fans Wired Backwards. - The issue and how to fix!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Miswire

It has been discovered that an unknown number of Honda Talon fan modules were miswired. This is a result of fan assembly error from the supplier. We know from the noncommon wire colors that these are not manufactured by Honda and most likely outsourced.

HOW TO IDENTIFY:
Your fan wire should pair up as follows on through the plug as shown in the image.
RED to BLUE and GREEN to BLACK.
20190421 081443

HOW TO FIX
We recommend allowing your dealer to correct this. It should only take a few moments.
A DIY correction can be found in post #2.

THE EFFECTS OF A MISWIRE.
The only effect from this miswire is overheating because the fan was running in reverse. There have been no widespread reports of Talons overheating so we assume the fan pushing air provided sufficient cooling.

What to do if your unit overheats?
If your Talon overheats use common radiator precautions.
DO NOT WORK ON THE UNIT HOT! Allow adequate time to cool before inspecting or working on the unit.

Here is the attached wire diagram for reference.
Ebc141a3964dcf07ae4778d87f774e3c

Special thanks to Ou8alizzard for posting this info. His original post is in post #2!

4-24-19
Updated notice from Honda!
1556148845288 1556148840674 1556148828445 0 IMG 1188001002003

Last edited:
O

Ou8alizzard

Mar 30, 2019
Az
All, there have been a number of cooling fans that were wired backwards. Please check your wires. Wires on fan connector should be RED/WHITE TO BLUE... if you are wired RED/WHITE TO BLACK the fan will spin backwards. This is an easy fix all you need is a micro flat head to swap the fans connections
First photo is Incorrect wiring
Second is correct.
If your still guessing if yours is correct idle the talon when the fan comes on does it push air out of the front or pull air through the front if its pushing its wired incorrectly.

20190421 075949 20190421 081443

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
All, there have been a number of cooling fans that were wired backwards. Please check your wires. Wires on fan connector should be RED/WHITE TO BLUE... if you are wired RED/WHITE TO BLACK the fan will spin backwards. This is an easy fix all you need is a micro flat head to swap the fans connections
First photo is Incorrect wiring
Second is correct.
If your still guessing if yours is correct idle the talon when the fan comes on does it push air out of the front or pull air through the front if its pushing its wired incorrectly.

View attachment 124555 View attachment 124556
Oppps!

Thanks for the info.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
D

Dwight

Oct 25, 2015
Kansas
I've actually considered reversing my fan on our Rock and Trails RZR to help keep the heat out of the cockpit. We trail ride and crawl so we don't do much high speed riding. Maybe install a switch to change direction? Anyway just a thought.
Dwight

Reactions: stellarpod
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I think Honda runs the fan that way to blow the heat out front and keep the heat out of the cab area. The wires are large and I expect the fan is large too. I would think the fan only runs at low speeds. Its a lot easier then moving the radiator in the back. Another plus would be to let it idle in cold weather and warm up by setting in front of the radiator. This may be a first to deal with the cab heat.

O

Ou8alizzard

Mar 30, 2019
Az
I think Honda runs the fan that way to blow the heat out front and keep the heat out of the cab area. The wires are large and I expect the fan is large too. I would think the fan only runs at low speeds. Its a lot easier then moving the radiator in the back. Another plus would be to let it idle in cold weather and warm up by setting in front of the radiator. This may be a first to deal with the cab heat.
The info I posted was from the honda dealer after I over heated. Match the speed of the unit with the speed of the fan = no air over the radiator. You just cant have a pusher fan on a front mounted radiator. Or you can just call the dealer and ask if it should be pushing.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I will be checking mine and post the results tomorrow. From the pictures mine is wired backwards. I will check my buddies Talon R too. I agree if the fan comes on at high speed. My buddy just did a 100 mile plus ride with no problems. I just got mine and its a R with a higher vin, the last 4 is 1524.

rbtnt

rbtnt

Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2015
Ownership

1. Talon X
From the pictures, my X is wired backwards and a friend's X is wired correctly. Have not verified air flow direction.

Last edited:
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Ou8alizzard Several of us owe you a big thanks. Like you say its an easy fix.

The fan connector side is wired wrong on mine. Looks like Honda has a batch of fans that got wired wrong. I checked the Talon Wiring diagram to verify.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ou8alizzard Several of us owe you a big thanks. Like you say its an easy fix.

The fan connector side is wired wrong on mine. Looks like Honda has a batch of fans that got wired wrong. I checked the Talon Wiring diagram to verify.
I agree. It’s awesome to have so many members sharing their experiences so others don’t have the same issues. This could’ve been a bad thing for someone yet it’s a simple fix.

Reactions: Mopower58
H

HTSauce

Apr 24, 2019
Sacramento Ca
Ownership

1. Talon R
This is interesting, and definitely explains the cab heat,

does anyone know what plug this is? like deluch or delphi like connector ?
in case i bang it up trying to re-pin it

also, having a electronics background i wanted to add,
with a multimeter (DIMM) if you set it to Dc current, put your test probes in the live side of the plug, and turn the key,
when the fan is supposed to come on, you would see voltage, if the polarity is connected backwards at this point your multimeter would display a negative voltage in reference to how you have your leads connected, this would show you if it was backwards ,
flop it and it will be positive etc.. you can look at the wires going to the fan, and since its a DC motor switching the polarity switches the fan rotation.

it would be cool to connect a fused relay to this, and run it to a rocker switch for a toggle selection,
get a turtle and hair rocker, have it blowing one way for slow cruzin , and another for fast
(or a cab heater switch lol jk )

thank you all for this information

Reactions: sharp
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

with a multimeter (DIMM) if you set it to Dc current, put your test probes in the live side of the plug, and turn the key,
when the fan is supposed to come on, you would see voltage, if the polarity is connected backwards at this point your multimeter would display a negative voltage in reference to how you have your leads connected, this would show you if it was backwards ,
flop it and it will be positive etc.. you can look at the wires going to the fan, and since its a DC motor switching the polarity switches the fan rotation.

it would be cool to connect a fused relay to this, and run it to a rocker switch for a toggle selection,
get a turtle and hair rocker, have it blowing one way for slow cruzin , and another for fast

If you take pictures of the plug while fixing yours. I am sure I can help source repair pins, seals, housings etc.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Way to complicated for me. Just get rid of the heat shield stuff ( that doesn't work ) install a toggle for off and on, aim a fan out the back and run it in the warm months, let the heat come up through the seat in the colder months, simplicity is the key to a happy life! HA!

J

JimmyTalon

Apr 13, 2019
SE Minnesota
Ownership

1. Talon R
A friend sent this to me. I looked at mine, it's two weeks old, and it is wired backwards. I guess that's why the heat pours our of the front when the fan kicks on.
I'm not sure it's a bad idea to leave it wired backwards. Why not let it blow the heat out forward? If the fan is running, apparently the machine is moving really slow. The way it is, it won't push heat into the cabin. So maybe backwards wiring is good for summer, and switch it to correct for Fall and Winter.
1556148845288 1556148840674 1556148828445 0 IMG 1188001002003

Reactions: sharp and Eltobgi
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A friend sent this to me. I looked at mine, it's two weeks old, and it is wired backwards. I guess that's why the heat pours our of the front when the fan kicks on.
I'm not sure it's a bad idea to leave it wired backwards. Why not let it blow the heat out forward? If the fan is running, apparently the machine is moving really slow. The way it is, it won't push heat into the cabin. So maybe backwards wiring is good for summer, and switch it to correct for Fall and Winter.View attachment 125002
Thanks for the note. Glad Honda got a notice out today.

No at some point it will be neutral flow.
If fan is pushing at 45mph. And your going 45mph. You have 0 air moving across the radiator. In a theological manor.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm combining this with out other thread about this.

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
Thanks for the note. Glad Honda got a notice out today.

No at some point it will be neutral flow.
If fan is pushing at 45mph. And your going 45mph. You have 0 air moving across the radiator. In a theological manor.

Theological, theoretical, what's the diff, huh? Sorry, I couldn't let it go... :)

Reactions: stellarpod
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!