BOX1

P1000 Creede Colorado Trails?

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Our friends just got back from buying a cabin near Creede, CO. They said, based on all the trailers loaded down with SXSs and ATVs, it must be a popular area for trail riding. They want us to go back with them and spend two or three weeks fishing, chillin', and exploring on the Pioneers. Anyone know about trails in the area?

RichardM

RichardM

Nov 16, 2015
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That is near the Alpine Loop (~1 hr) that runs from Silverton to Lake City and near Ouray. We rode there for a week in June. Magnificent. There may be closer areas I don't know about. Lots of info out there on the Alpine Loop.
20160627 104013

Reactions: sharp and Jbird
RichardM

RichardM

Nov 16, 2015
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oh yeah, the high there today was mid sixties. I'm up here in NWA, that sounds so nice!

Reactions: Jbird
Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That is near the Alpine Loop (~1 hr) that runs from Silverton to Lake City and near Ouray. We rode there for a week in June. Magnificent. There may be closer areas I don't know about. Lots of info out there on the Alpine Loop. View attachment 19002
YouTube has some videos of some trails in the area. Some of the trails I looked at are narrow on the sides of mountains with 2000 ft shear drop offs on one side. Enough to make your butt pucker. Lol.

RichardM

RichardM

Nov 16, 2015
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
YouTube has some videos of some trails in the area. Some of the trails I looked at are narrow on the sides of mountains with 2000 ft shear drop offs on one side. Enough to make your butt pucker. Lol.
They are a little hairy sometimes. I've done them in a Jeep and my 1000-5, so much easier in the SxS

Reactions: Jbird
Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They are a little hairy sometimes. I've done them in a Jeep and my 1000-5, so much easier in the SxS
Haven't been to that area before but it looks like Silverton may not be too far away. Most of my time was spent near Estes Park where my father in law had a cabin for 40 years. That was long before we got into ATVs.

cwalton

cwalton

Who has more fun!
Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2016
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That is near the Alpine Loop (~1 hr) that runs from Silverton to Lake City and near Ouray. We rode there for a week in June. Magnificent. There may be closer areas I don't know about. Lots of info out there on the Alpine Loop. View attachment 19002
What a beautiful area.

JohnShin1984

JohnShin1984

Aug 5, 2015
We spent a week in Creede in the middle of July. Lots of trails to ride off the Bachelor Loop. If you go be sure to check out the Last Chance Mine.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was just looking at a gold mine for sale near Creede

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
There are lots of unpaved roads above Creede that would make for a nice outing. Be careful, as there are logging trucks running many of those roads.

From Creede you can trailer southwest (and then bends back northwest) on 149 toward Slumgullion Pass/Lake City. At 18-20 miles, watch for unpaved road on the left (520) which leads up to 30-Mile Campground below the dam at the Rio Grande Reservoir. There you can unload, and take Stony Pass up and over to Silverton. This puts you square in the middle of the Alpine Loop which connects Silverton to Lake City via unpaved 4WD roads. Be aware that a bit before you reach the summit of Stony Pass you'll have to ford Pole Creek, which can sometimes run dangerously high, depending upon the time of year and how much snow they get this winter.

Alternatively, you could trailer on over Slumgullion Pass to Lake City, unload there and take Cinnamon Pass over to Animas Forks and on to Silverton. There are almost limitless places to ride in that area with absolutely stunning vistas. Some are challenging, but there are many that will be high on scenery without too much drama if you prefer a more leisurely outing.

Have fun. You're going to be hooked! BTW - there is a group of us meeting in Silverton the first week of September. I think it's up to twenty or more now.

Steve

L

LaHawk1

This will be our 6th year to ride this area on dual sport bikes, it is some of the best you can find. We had to turn around at Pole Creek one year due to high water, rode up to Lake City and took Engineers Pass instead. We trailer to Raton NM and take two days of mostly dirt to get to Ouray then stay in Ouray for a week since we are street legal and can ride the trails west of Hwy 550 as well. I have always thought how nice it would be to do this area on the Pioneer so I could look at the scenery while I drove. We will also be there the first week of September this year.

Reactions: stellarpod
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!