Cummins Built Not Bought/The Life of Frankie.

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good or bad I’ll report it lol. This truck had the dowel pin under timing cover fall into the timing gear. It’s very rare (I haven’t personally met anyone or worried about it too much, only done half my engines) but this truck failed. Engine work was done in 2018 to fix the problem and while they were there they did a few things extra including upgraded valve springs which will allow me direct bolt on of an exhaust brake. This will be the power plant. It’s not intercooled but will either run my ‘93 or more likely upgrade. Engine runs smooth and no leaks whatsoever. One hell of a receipt, excited to have it in the upcoming truck.View attachment 196944View attachment 196945 View attachment 196946
Wow cant wait to see it done

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Wow cant wait to see it done
Ya me either. Been a dream for a damn long time. As you know I don’t want a new truck I want my truck.
Gotta pretty good list of goods wanted. Still need new manual and transfer case for expensive components. Currently looking for Dana 61 front pumpkin to run the 3.07 gears. Will go to hydro brakes with rear disc. So there is a ton needed as of yet. Not gunna skimp in this much. Just need a butt ton of cash. Lmao. But it WILL get done!

H

HondaTech

Man this makes me want to restore my '89 D100. She's plenty rough, but she keeps kicking.

I had a '93 D150 before that I parked because the dumbass I let install the trans didn't put half the bolts back in.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Makes me miss my 93 Club, it had the intercooled 12v w 5speed, 2wd w a peg leg that could get stuck on a banana peel but I loved that thing. Did a little tuning & mods to the injector pump to wake it up a bit. Hauled my 5th wheel & boat/trailer from MI to TX when I moved to Dallas for a bit. 20mpg running 70 all day long.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Makes me miss my 93 Club, it had the intercooled 12v w 5speed, 2wd w a peg leg that could get stuck on a banana peel but I loved that thing. Did a little tuning & mods to the injector pump to wake it up a bit. Hauled my 5th wheel & boat/trailer from MI to TX when I moved to Dallas for a bit. 20mpg running 70 all day long.
Yep! With the diesel club long in 2wd it’s sketchy! Made it all but a few days here but it got stuck in my driveway several times last year! Weight would’ve made it around town the whole year but want to get back on the highway in the wintertime. Really sucks to tear up mine shortly it really is a damn fine truck and beautiful on the highway 😟

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ya me either. Been a dream for a damn long time. As you know I don’t want a new truck I want my truck.
Gotta pretty good list of goods wanted. Still need new manual and transfer case for expensive components. Currently looking for Dana 61 front pumpkin to run the 3.07 gears. Will go to hydro brakes with rear disc. So there is a ton needed as of yet. Not gunna skimp in this much. Just need a butt ton of cash. Lmao. But it WILL get done!
Lots of side work ;)

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Only one truck comes out alive lol. Parts in the driveway are piling up. Wife and I agreed part of the stimulus will go to a brand new manual transmission, not messing around on some things on this build.
Love this pic.
EEC7C903 CFA2 412C 9310 13B227DCF1A1

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Also worked out a deal with my paint rep, going through color books and looking a bit around to see what I want. It will be two tone and at this point probably woodsy friendly colors. (NOT RED YET AGAIN) lol.
two picked out so far are reminiscent of older colors but with life and some serious flop. It’ll be light colored on the sides to resist the Idaho pinstripes in the woods a bit. Trying to not go too dark because we’re hard on things but want some life to it
Looking at color now because getting the interior and front of the 4 door cab ready is coming up.
BD163335 2351 432C 86A1 49D6B264D54D
37B4ADFD A77A 4529 8303 0400E8D5B8C4

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also worked out a deal with my paint rep, going through color books and looking a bit around to see what I want. It will be two tone and at this point probably woodsy friendly colors. (NOT RED YET AGAIN) lol.
two picked out so far are reminiscent of older colors but with life and some serious flop. It’ll be light colored on the sides to resist the Idaho pinstripes in the woods a bit. Trying to not go too dark because we’re hard on things but want some life to it
Looking at color now because getting the interior and front of the 4 door cab ready is coming up.
View attachment 197700 View attachment 197703
Nice

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
CP I have saw you do miracles before . I can't wait to see this one complete . You have some serious skills .
Well thank you. I really like to do this stuff sometimes I guess and always have. I think I was 5 or 6 in my dad’s garage in trouble for trying to help lol. Really have gotten sick of just bringing cars to pre accident condition, that gets old.
Last big job I did was the bus years back so it’s about time. Always wanted this truck, it’s taken almost 30 years to finally pull the trigger, these aren’t getting cheaper and I ain’t getting younger. But like many people Id sure like more money and time. Gotta lot to buy yet don’t want to skimp. I hope it’s big maiden voyage will be Takeover 2021 that is my family plan. Daughter wants to come cross country this time so it’ll be good.

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well thank you. I really like to do this stuff sometimes I guess and always have. I think I was 5 or 6 in my dad’s garage in trouble for trying to help lol. Really have gotten sick of just bringing cars to pre accident condition, that gets old.
Last big job I did was the bus years back so it’s about time. Always wanted this truck, it’s taken almost 30 years to finally pull the trigger, these aren’t getting cheaper and I ain’t getting younger. But like many people Id sure like more money and time. Gotta lot to buy yet don’t want to skimp. I hope it’s big maiden voyage will be Takeover 2021 that is my family plan. Daughter wants to come cross country this time so it’ll be good.
Get it done and c'mon

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
2021 TO, we can only hope. The Co ride may still be on? Not near as far as Tenn, what's the chance of you and yours attending? We will have a fall over backwards in our chairs around the camp fire! Guaranteed!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Get working on that rig already. No time for Idaho. Don't be a mopar on us!
Bhahahaha. You kidding? He was all about Mopar then bought a ford and gave up lol. I ain’t that type. I stick to beliefs. Had I bought an older Ford it would’ve been easier, just needed the replacement diesel and drive. Would’ve been fine. I gotta build a truck to get 4 door Dodge first gen Cummins. But I like different and what I want.
truck worked well tonight. It’ll do the same but better soon hopefully. Truck sure gets a lot of looks with Pioneer though :p she don’t even get worse mileage. Think she’s sexy. Can’t wait till it’s a 4 door 4x4!
F9441ADE FAE3 4905 A3FE 1A56913E81CE

Last edited:
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bhahahaha. You kidding? He was all about Mopar then bought a ford and gave up lol. I ain’t that type. I stick to beliefs. Had I bought an older Ford it would’ve been easier, just needed the replacement diesel and drive. Would’ve been fine. I gotta build a truck to get 4 door Dodge first gen Cummins. But I like different and what I want.
truck worked well tonight. It’ll do the same but better soon hopefully. Truck sure gets a lot of looks with Pioneer though :p she don’t even get worse mileage. Think she’s sexy. Can’t wait till it’s a 4 door 4x4!
View attachment 197792
Yeah that's what I meant. Wheres the 4dr?

Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Good or bad I’ll report it lol. This truck had the dowel pin under timing cover fall into the timing gear. It’s very rare (I haven’t personally met anyone or worried about it too much, only done half my engines) but this truck failed. Engine work was done in 2018 to fix the problem and while they were there they did a few things extra including upgraded valve springs which will allow me direct bolt on of an exhaust brake. This will be the power plant. It’s not intercooled but will either run my ‘93 or more likely upgrade. Engine runs smooth and no leaks whatsoever. One hell of a receipt, excited to have it in the upcoming truck.View attachment 196944View attachment 196945 View attachment 196946
When I was working I only had 3 loose dowel pins fall out on Cummins.Fortunately I was able to silicone the plate where it broke and did not have to replace it. I loosened up the bolt, cleaned it thoroughly with brake clean, applied ultra gray silicone then tightened all the bolts after twisting the broken aluminum piece back into place. Guess I got lucky!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Couple updates.
first of all I found out the frame under the new 4x4 parts rig is a much smaller frame then needed. The first years of the Cummins (89-91) was just literally a tractor engine thrown in a truck. I knew that but was told by a few frames were the same. They ARE NOT. 91.5 and up frame is thicker and 1/3 taller. Noticed by walking around my ‘93 and seeing frame but not in my ‘90, huge difference. ‘90 is just a gasser frame. Not using that crap front structure now.
Bummer but also found that hump in frame in my king cab (which would’ve made up the back of the new truck) would take an additional cut to use, so I’m not splicing a frame twice either, this truck isn’t a pavement princess she needs to carry a load into the woods. Other options are being examined, this is just a speed bump there always is in a project. Just hit mine

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!