BOX1

P500 Day 1 maintenance

dtng

dtng

Sep 25, 2018
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
So I just got a new P-500 and quickly realized that it was struggling to shift from 1st to 2nd. I noticed a number of folks stating similar problems and the fix seemed to be to adjust the clutch. I grabbed a 14mm wrench and short screwdriver and sure enough the problem was solved. So my question, are there any other adjustments I might need to check before I put too many miles on it?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
So I just got a new P-500 and quickly realized that it was struggling to shift from 1st to 2nd. I noticed a number of folks stating similar problems and the fix seemed to be to adjust the clutch. I grabbed a 14mm wrench and short screwdriver and sure enough the problem was solved. So my question, are there any other adjustments I might need to check before I put too many miles on it?
It really makes one wonder about the made on Monday rigs, or why Honda’s quality control inspections seem hit and miss. For all the deserved criticism of Polaris, there seems to be a lot of Honda’s coming out of production with loose and missing hardware, front alignments out by inches :eek: and things out of adjustment. Supposedly Honda gives some attention to these various Honda forums???? Anyway, I guess mine was made on a Thursday. :D To your question however, many of the problems that people have encountered have been the result of bad dealer prep. If you’ll do a search, there is a thread or threads discussing the various things to be on the lookout for. Good luck compadre.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Grease fittings? A P5 has grease zerks? Have I missed something?!!!
Lol, it’s right behind your silver dollar sized spring loaded oil filter. :D

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
add grease to every fitting you can see, check the alignment, all the fluids, bolt check everything you can and give it just a good general look over.
I’m with AIR on the grease fittings, hope I don’t have a slew of bone dry zerks. ;)

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Welcome. An old topic you may have already seen, but try to take battery /fuse cover off, with EASY torque on bolts as some spin from over tightening by dealer. A frequent issue. There are some pics down in this linked thread about the PITA keeper nut. Enjoy the P500. P500 - Caution on P500 battery cover bolts

dtng

dtng

Sep 25, 2018
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
It really makes one wonder about the made on Monday rigs, or why Honda’s quality control inspections seem hit and miss. For all the deserved criticism of Polaris, there seems to be a lot of Honda’s coming out of production with loose and missing hardware, front alignments out by inches :eek: and things out of adjustment. Supposedly Honda gives some attention to these various Honda forums???? Anyway, I guess mine was made on a Thursday. :D To your question however, many of the problems that people have encountered have been the result of bad dealer prep. If you’ll do a search, there is a thread or threads discussing the various things to be on the lookout for. Good luck compadre.
I don't doubt this was a dealer prep issue, but they were the lowest cost dealer by $500 which I'm using for some aftermarket add-on. So I'm guessing this is where they save money. Thanks.

dtng

dtng

Sep 25, 2018
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome. An old topic you may have already seen, but try to take battery /fuse cover off, with EASY torque on bolts as some spin from over tightening by dealer. A frequent issue. There are some pics down in this linked thread about the PITA keeper nut. Enjoy the P500. P500 - Caution on P500 battery cover bolts
I was in the battery box the other day to hook up my winch, I had seen some of the comments on the bolts. I was lucky mine came on/off without any issues, I may epoxy the nuts in place. Hope to stay out of there for awhile.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Also the tire pressure can be too high from the dealer.

Reactions: Arizona and dtng
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
I don't doubt this was a dealer prep issue, but they were the lowest cost dealer by $500 which I'm using for some aftermarket add-on. So I'm guessing this is where they save money. Thanks.
Sure, I understand that. Do check the threads that have chronicled the various issues members have had with their new machines, including things like Mudder mentioned a couple posts back and good luck with your Pioneer. :)

Reactions: dtng
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Might be right, I run 6-8 in larger tires. Try adjusting for best ride.

Reactions: dtng
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I was in the battery box the other day to hook up my winch, I had seen some of the comments on the bolts. I was lucky mine came on/off without any issues, I may epoxy the nuts in place. Hope to stay out of there for awhile.
If you go into the battery box again, you might consider adding a battery tender to the P500....

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!