P1000 DCT Filter Housing Leak

PapasTrail

PapasTrail

Apr 28, 2023
Cabot AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So last night I did the 100 mile oil change on my 2023 P1K Trail using filters and oil I got from the dealership. They sold me new crush washers but not o-rings. We loaded up this morning and headed for the trails and when we got there, I noticed oil drips on my trailer. I could see oil on the belly pan so we cut our ride short. When I got home, I found the oil coming from the DCT filter cap. I snugged the bolts a little but it’s still seeping oil.
I assume I need to replace the o-ring, but can I remove the DCT cover without losing all the oil I just changed last night?

Reactions: Smitty335
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So last night I did the 100 mile oil change on my 2023 P1K Trail using filters and oil I got from the dealership. They sold me new crush washers but not o-rings. We loaded up this morning and headed for the trails and when we got there, I noticed oil drips on my trailer. I could see oil on the belly pan so we cut our ride short. When I got home, I found the oil coming from the DCT filter cap. I snugged the bolts a little but it’s still seeping oil.
I assume I need to replace the o-ring, but can I remove the DCT cover without losing all the oil I just changed last night?
Hello,

Yes unfortunately you likely cut the o ring. It can be a bugger to keep from bunching up and cutting it. You gotta give it a good amount of lube, and kinda lightly rotate it slightly while you push the housing back on.

You’ll loose some when you pull the filter, around a 1/2 qt or so if I remember right.

Happened to me last fall.

PapasTrail

PapasTrail

Apr 28, 2023
Cabot AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you Vikes79!
At least I won’t lose all the oil. Removing the belly pan definitely makes the job easier.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So last night I did the 100 mile oil change on my 2023 P1K Trail using filters and oil I got from the dealership. They sold me new crush washers but not o-rings. We loaded up this morning and headed for the trails and when we got there, I noticed oil drips on my trailer. I could see oil on the belly pan so we cut our ride short. When I got home, I found the oil coming from the DCT filter cap. I snu gged the bolts a little but it’s still seeping oil.
Filter change is just like the fore play of yesterday, make sure the o ring is lubricated, I just push the cap on with my hand and then tighten then bolts by hand, snug them with a 1/4" ratchet, do not go by torque specs.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Can you tilt it on its side. Like your changing a tire using another machine and a winch. I doubt you would loose any then.

Fyi, don't over tighten the bolts. bolt tightness is irrelevant to stopping the leak. Snug, tight, extra tight makes no difference as the o-ring holds the seal.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Reactions: CID and Smitty335
PapasTrail

PapasTrail

Apr 28, 2023
Cabot AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That’s a thought, I can definitely jack it up on one side and minimize the oil loss.
True, the o-ring is the seal so the bolts just need to be snug and not GNT.
Thanks for the idea!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Just don't over tighten them. Lots of people popping them off by hunting the "click" of a torque wrench vs just using a small ratchet and feeling it out.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
For all kinds of seal lubrication, I always have a bottle of STP oil treatment.

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
nitrotmann

nitrotmann

Jan 18, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000 6 Crew
Maybe you could jack up one side and not lose as much oil?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

D

dweber23tr

May 21, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This thread is "mostly appropriate", at least for timing. I just did the 100 mile service on mine and am running into the same thing from the dct filter. I did use new o rings though but still could have pinched it. Was trying to figure out how much oil I was going to lose and now will try tipping the machine on its side a bit to minimize the oil loss.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
This thread is "mostly appropriate", at least for timing. I just did the 100 mile service on mine and am running into the same thing from the dct filter. I did use new o rings though but still could have pinched it. Was trying to figure out how much oil I was going to lose and now will try tipping the machine on its side a bit to minimize the oil loss.
Breaking News: Man flips machine trying to save 5 oz of oil.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!