Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I actually was thinking more of the X... My pioneer is 68" So id rather have that 68" width.. however that single trailing arm connection/ balljoint just looks like its asking for trouble. I belive Canam and Polaris are bothing using double shear connections and looks like they can take more abuse... but im not an expert by any means.. im still up in the air, but will be a while before i get anything anyway

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I put the HD 3 rims on my pioneer 1000-5 which made it less than 64 if I did get one it would be the X. I do to much wood's riding. I would never put down deposit again waste of time and money. Can't trust any dealers.
I’m with ya. Factory width seems to be a dying breed.

Reactions: Remington and sharp
Gumby

Gumby

Mar 9, 2018
Freedom, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just an FYI to any potential Wisconsin buyers, you won't be able to register the R in the State because of the 65" width restriction in place. The DNR will send you back your registration form.

We at the State Association preach to all the dealers to not sell the machines that are too wide to register, Maverick X3 XRS is a good example, but some do anyway knowing you won't be able to register it, but won't let you know.

Just an FYI

SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Prenger Implement. I’ve bought a tractor and parents bought their 700-4 from them.
They had about 15-20 Pioneers in showroom. www.prenger.com
You guys are so lucky, the dealers near me only have a couple at best except for the scumbag dealership north of me, they have about 5 on hand and no way on Earth would I ever give them money in advance!

SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Just an FYI to any potential Wisconsin buyers, you won't be able to register the R in the State because of the 65" width restriction in place. The DNR will send you back your registration form.

We at the State Association preach to all the dealers to not sell the machines that are too wide to register, Maverick X3 XRS is a good example, but some do anyway knowing you won't be able to register it, but won't let you know.

Just an FYI
All due respect but:
Thank God I don't live there! What happens if you don't register?

Gumby

Gumby

Mar 9, 2018
Freedom, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All due respect but:
Thank God I don't live there! What happens if you don't register?
When UTV's were first introduced, we had to kiss a lot of @ss to get them into the State Forests because of the width (or lack of width) on the forest roads. After a lot of back and forth, the Forest Service agreed to widen out all the roads if we agreed to cap off the width at 65". I summed up about 3 years of back and forth in one sentence there.

Then, OEM's started making wider machines for the desert and things like that. People here starting losing their minds because their local dealer sold them a $25000 UTV, but failed to mention to them that it wasn't legal to ride in the State. We can point fingers all day long at who's fault it is but I look at the dealers for 95% of the blame. They see the customer walk in with $$$ and forget to mention that they can't register it or legally ride it.

It's frustrating to me when people get mad and tell us to "just change the law" because they have no idea how hard it was to even get 65" allowed!

To answer your question about what happens, Basically, you are driving an unlicensed vehicle. Its a $232 fine.

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
At the dealership I work at we haven't had anybody that I know of even ask to get on a list for a Talon. In fact I'm not sure we are even ordering any at all. I'm sure we're not the only dealer like that.

Reactions: BWAF
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Just an FYI
The LAST thing I want is to have to register it. It is OFF ROAD veh anyway, why should I have to reg it EXCEPT to allow the state to screw me out of more money. As for not being able to ride in state ...... no big deal, unless you live in some of the best riding in USA. I don't ride in=state anyway, except on private land.

Gumby

Gumby

Mar 9, 2018
Freedom, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The LAST thing I want is to have to register it. It is OFF ROAD veh anyway, why should I have to reg it EXCEPT to allow the state to screw me out of more money. As for not being able to ride in state ...... no big deal, unless you live in some of the best riding in USA. I don't ride in=state anyway, except on private land.

I get where you are coming from but would like to add some pointers in that would contradict your statement. Don't take this as an argument, just some specific facts about Wisconsin.

Why should you have to register it? A lot of reasons but I'll just hit the high points. ATV/UTV Registration goes directly into a separate State account that is to be used SPECIFICALLY for ATV\UTV use. Some examples are: Wisconsin had 4 Full time Wardens on staff for the entire state. That's thousands of miles of trails patrolled by 4 wardens. With the registration funding, there were 5 additional wardens hired that are paid directly from registration fees. To supplement them, there was also the Trail Ambassador Patrol program created by the Wisconsin ATV Association (also 100% registration funded). This trains volunteers to not only patrol trails, but teach DNR Safety Classes to anyone born before Jan 1, 1988. I am an Instructor and Trail Patroller that this program benefits. Another recent example is a bridge that was needed to go over a large river and connect 3 different Counties' trails together. The local Counties wanted nothing to do with paying for it. The local clubs received grants from the State, but also took some funding from the Registration account and covered the ENTIRE COST of the bridge/engineering involved/installation. This equals over $100,000. There are a lot more reasons, but those are some of the big ones.

As far as riding some of the best trails in the USA, I would say we have them! I've ridden in 16 states and Canada and coming home is always a great feeling. I would put Wisconsin in the top three places I've ridden. There are THOUSANDS of miles of trails and routes that literally span across the State. You could unload in Minnesota and ride across the State to Lake Michigan without ever getting off your machine. You'd be pretty sleepy and probably pretty hungry if you did. Here is a very low detail map of our trail systems - WATVA Where To Ride Planning Map

I'm proud of our State and the areas we have. It is a hidden gem that isn't well known across the US. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have and would be glad to give you a tour if you wanted to venture North a thousand miles! It sounds like a lot, but I've driven 1600 miles to Oklahoma 5 times to ride so it's not crazy!

H

HondaTech

We are taking deposits, but are making everybody aware that price is still up in the air and we won't see any until April.

Also we don't know what were getting (R or X, Colors) until January.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
We are taking deposits, but are making everybody aware that price is still up in the air and we won't see any until April.

Also we don't know what were getting (R or X, Colors) until January.
Think Honda is playing stupid games, got to drive a RZR RS1 today, Killer, $ 15,000 OTD with accessories! HONDA?? You may price your selves outa the market before you even get started with the Talon! Just saying!

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Think Honda is playing stupid games, got to drive a RZR RS1 today, Killer, $ 15,000 OTD with accessories! HONDA?? You may price your selves outa the market before you even get started with the Talon! Just saying!
Is that a 'driver only' SxS Smitty?

Just watched the videos. I guess it really ain't a SxS ..... lol

Last edited:
Doc-TEAMWAX

Doc-TEAMWAX

Nov 27, 2018
Wax, KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R
My son has an RS-1. It is a wild machine. I have seen the 'pricing out of the market' happen before. In 08-09 when the SxS marking was gaining popularity, Honda released a very nice machine for the atv market, the TRX 700XX. Stickered around $7499. Bought a dusty new one for around $4200. after it sat in the showroom for months. If Honda is too steep on the Talon pricing, I guess I will get my refundable deposit and wait a few months for the rebates.....

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I get where you are coming from but would like to add some pointers in that would contradict your statement. Don't take this as an argument, just some specific facts about Wisconsin.

Why should you have to register it? A lot of reasons but I'll just hit the high points. ATV/UTV Registration goes directly into a separate State account that is to be used SPECIFICALLY for ATV\UTV use. Some examples are: Wisconsin had 4 Full time Wardens on staff for the entire state. That's thousands of miles of trails patrolled by 4 wardens. With the registration funding, there were 5 additional wardens hired that are paid directly from registration fees. To supplement them, there was also the Trail Ambassador Patrol program created by the Wisconsin ATV Association (also 100% registration funded). This trains volunteers to not only patrol trails, but teach DNR Safety Classes to anyone born before Jan 1, 1988. I am an Instructor and Trail Patroller that this program benefits. Another recent example is a bridge that was needed to go over a large river and connect 3 different Counties' trails together. The local Counties wanted nothing to do with paying for it. The local clubs received grants from the State, but also took some funding from the Registration account and covered the ENTIRE COST of the bridge/engineering involved/installation. This equals over $100,000. There are a lot more reasons, but those are some of the big ones.

As far as riding some of the best trails in the USA, I would say we have them! I've ridden in 16 states and Canada and coming home is always a great feeling. I would put Wisconsin in the top three places I've ridden. There are THOUSANDS of miles of trails and routes that literally span across the State. You could unload in Minnesota and ride across the State to Lake Michigan without ever getting off your machine. You'd be pretty sleepy and probably pretty hungry if you did. Here is a very low detail map of our trail systems - WATVA Where To Ride Planning Map

I'm proud of our State and the areas we have. It is a hidden gem that isn't well known across the US. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have and would be glad to give you a tour if you wanted to venture North a thousand miles! It sounds like a lot, but I've driven 1600 miles to Oklahoma 5 times to ride so it's not crazy!
We do have some great riding for sure.

H

HondaTech

The Talon is not in the same market as the RS1, nobody looking at a single seat SXS will be interested in a Talon or any other Sport SXS for that matter. They have created their own market by offering the only machine in that category.

But, again, polaris has saturated the other markets with the same old stuff and people are tired of it.

Trust me the Talon will be worth the money, and it'll bring new life the sport SXS market, Polaris will have to lower those price even more, once people realize you can drive your SXS and not have to work on afterwards.

H

HondaTech

My son has an RS-1. It is a wild machine. I have seen the 'pricing out of the market' happen before. In 08-09 when the SxS marking was gaining popularity, Honda released a very nice machine for the atv market, the TRX 700XX. Stickered around $7499. Bought a dusty new one for around $4200. after it sat in the showroom for months. If Honda is too steep on the Talon pricing, I guess I will get my refundable deposit and wait a few months for the rebates.....

The 700xx was to far ahead of it's time with a chassis no one really asked for, in a segment dominated by 1 machine, the 700 Raptor. People were scared away by the CV axles and the chain/sprockets.

I contend to this day had the 700xx come out sooner. The raptor wouldn't have had a chance. Given a little suspension work, nothing can stay with a XX in the woods. And it only cost $100 more at the time than a 700 Raptor, so pricing wasn't a problem.

It was just the wrong unit to late in the life cycle for that segment.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Everything cost a lot most people finance. it's amazing what people will pay for a belt.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!