Talon Dealer says "No more Honda Talon Production in 2020" ...Really?

B

benzerk

May 23, 2020
USA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I've been in the market for a Talon R for the few weeks. I'm not in any real rush, looking all over the country for the best possible deal I could find. -- I've contacted about a dozen dealerships but only received a response from a few. Mainly from dealers trying to up-charge the talon due to 'halted production' during the pandemic. I've gotten some seriously surprising reasons to why they want to charge 1000-2000 more than MSRP or why they will not negotiated down, "not even a dollar" -- It doesn't bother me, I thank them for their time and keep looking around for a deal.

I've contacted all of the major dealerships that are known for good pricing on these units, most of them which never returned my call/online inquiry; business is either booming or stock is seriously low and exclusive.

Today I spoke to a dealership from South Florida (contacted them online 6 days ago, finally today called back) I spoke with a nice lady that said she has one still in the crate and would not give me a price, but she did say the following:

"...If you want a Talon, whether you buy it from me or not, BUY IT NOW. Don't wait!"

-- Why?

"They're not producing Talons for the rest of the year and supply has dried up nationwide, prices are going up"

I told her I've been following the production news and know that Honda had recently resumed production, but she insisted that while they're back at a limited capacity they will not be making any more Talons for the rest of 2020. We left it at she will 'get me a price' and call me back.

Does anyone know if there is any validity to her statement? Can it be that Honda really isn't producing anymore Talons this year? I'm finding it hard to believe but maybe I'm missing something. (xpost)

• Wow
Reactions: Isaiah
B

benzerk

May 23, 2020
USA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Strange. I know guys who bought Talons recently at Western Honda, and got pretty good pricing.
Yeah, I've ran into a couple of people who recently purchased them, some for as little at 17K OTD for the R. I know there are some good deals on the West coast, but being from the East I am reluctant to ship the machine that far. I might just have to, though, if the dealer statement is true.

H

HondaTech

They are back to work in South Carolina pumping out units. It might be tight on stuff for awhile, but their not shut off.

For one thing, they never come to the dealership "in a crate" They do need set-up, but not uncrated.

The dealers with stacked inventory will be ahead, we're almost out ourselves. But we can't store alot of units due to lack of space. We sold multiple in the last month, including 2 Live Valve Rs and a few X4s.

B

benzerk

May 23, 2020
USA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
They are back to work in South Carolina pumping out units. It might be tight on stuff for awhile, but their not shut off.

For one thing, they never come to the dealership "in a crate" They do need set-up, but not uncrated.
Wow! Great info, thank you for the reply. I suspected as much, had a feeling she was 'selling' me on something, but wanted to make sure.

Do you know if they are still producing 2020's or strictly 2021's?

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, I've ran into a couple of people who recently purchased them, some for as little at 17K OTD for the R. I know there are some good deals on the West coast, but being from the East I am reluctant to ship the machine that far. I might just have to, though, if the dealer statement is true.
For the best deals, look South!

H

HondaTech

Wow! Great info, thank you for the reply. I suspected as much, had a feeling she was 'selling' me on something, but wanted to make sure.

Do you know if they are still producing 2020's or strictly 2021's?

I don't believe their producing any 2020s, but there may be some leftovers hanging out. We had multiple R and X4 LV delivered over the last month and their selling like gangbusters. I think we have maybe 2 or 3 Rs left and 1 X4 LV and maybe 1 X4 base.

I do know last week the supply of 2020 X4 Live Valves avaible for order was gone.

The only 2021 models I've seen have been Live Valve Rs.

Reactions: benzerk and TripleB
ScottyP123

ScottyP123

May 17, 2020
Northern Nevada
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I just bought an X4 last week at BVH in Reno. They gave me a great price. Didn’t mention anything about stopping production. In fact, we were also looking to buy from a dealership in Twin Falls, ID and they were getting a shipment of 4.
Doesn’t sound like production stopped to me. Probably a salesmen being a salesmen.

B

benzerk

May 23, 2020
USA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks for the responses and suggestions, will be making a few more calls tomorrow. Hope to get one this week

T

tnsxs

May 29, 2020
TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Abernathy's in TN said that when they sell out they won't get any until the 21's come in. Btw, they are huge volume dealer with great prices.

nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I talked with the salesman where I got my 18 pioneer last year, they have always had 5 or 6 18's and the same for 19's.
He said they are running low on both, but he also said they had one of their best months ever last month and so far this whole year is on record pace.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The Talon factory it producing Talons and has been for awhile so there should be plenty of Talons, Pioneer's and Quads.

Reactions: Remington
H

HondaTech

The Talon factory it producing Talons and has been for awhile so there should be plenty of Talons, Pioneer's and Quads.

Their back to 3 shifts full blast, but having issue getting Japanese components (engines) and its going to be hard getting any bike made overseas for awhile (Goldwings, CRF-R, 110s, 125s, and others).

My GM showed me our monthly order statement and we lost 10% of what was ordered and won't see most till the end of the month. We did get a Green R and a Live Valve R today but they were coming anyway.

There will be units but not just sitting around waiting to be bought like usual, its going to be "take what we have" situation for a little while.

We also had a record month in May, 134 units sold (94 new, not counting PE) and $1.2 million parts,sales and service combined. We get a payback on financing through Honda and its usually a $15000 limit, for May Honda owes us over $22,000 in financing kickback.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Try Abernathy's in Tennessee. Some of the best prices in the nation and welcome to the forum.

William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5

The dealers with stacked inventory will be ahead, we're almost out ourselves. But we can't store alot of units due to lack of space. We sold multiple in the last month, including 2 Live Valve Rs and a few X4s.
Tell me why my nemesis gray front door panels are on national back order... And when they will be available... Please...

Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!